Just some thoughts... what a week

Options
taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have always viewed life as a journey, one that builds who we are like building blocks. Each twist and turn, adventure and heart break adding to our charater, weaving it's way through the fabric that ultimately becomes us.

A year ago I lost my brother to cancer. He died in my living room. He was only 51 years old and had a beautiful 10 year old daughter who lives with me, and probably will until she heads off to college. (the hardest one to say it out loud to)

I received a call that my father had died on Sunday May 10, 2009. I had an appointment the next day to meet with a doctor to schedule a biopsy. I met with him, Monday morning and when he said he would be doing the surgery that week I let him know it would have to be the following week, because I had to go to Texas to bury my father.

I left for Texas Tuesday morning, arranged the funeral, laid my father to rest and returned home Sunday. I was at the hospital at 6:00am Monday morning. I wasn't worried, or concerned... been there done that always comes back with a false alarm, nothing to worry about... I knew this time it would be the same way.

I was at work Wednesday afternoon when my cell phone rang, picking it up, I knew instantly... don't doctors know that we patients are smart enough to know that when it's nothing, a nurse calls with the pathology report and not a doctor. I knew. It was like being punched in the gut.

Now the waiting game... wait for the lumpectomy, wait for the biopsy on my lymph nodes... wait... then we will know which way to go...

Life is a journey... sometimes scary... sometimes joyful...sometime heartbreaking and sometimes breathtaking... but still a journey... the secret is.. not to take that journey alone...and my journey here is just begining.

Comments

• rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Taleena
    I am so sorry about the loss of your brother and your father. This must be a very emotional time for you. Bless your heart for caring for your niece. That is a beautiful part of your journey in life.
    I know the waiting game, is probably the very hardest part. When you know for sure you can put a plan into action. I wish you peace, and post here whenever you need a friend.
    luv, jackie
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    taleena
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. You are in my prayers.
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    Jan_M said:

taleena
    I am so sorry for what you are going through. You are in my prayers.

New friend
    Hello taleena~you will find support and friendship here. I am so sorry for your losses. My mother passed away from renal cell carcinoma 6 months before I was diagnosed with breast cancer. What a blow. Like a punch in the stomach. No breast cancer history. Life is full of powerful moments-good and not so good. Some so extremely emotional I don't know how I would have gotten through them had it not been for my faith in God. It helped me greatly to journal through the journey...some days I sit and reflect on all I have been through, and that is where I see the strength that has risen up-when i needed it. We survivors have endured much-some more than others. I will be thinking of you as you make the decisions for your treatment and care.
    Melanie
  • austingrl
    austingrl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Taleena
    Hey, Taleena;

My heart goes out to you. I am truly sorry to hear of your loss, and for you to have to face this experience with your breast right on the heels of that loss. Please know that my thoughts are with you.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    taleena,
    Don't know what to say at a time like this. I am sorry about your brother and father.
    As far as your health goes,we have all been there and are here for you. One step at a time.
    Love,Patty
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    With you on your journey!!
    My journey is beginning too, so lets do it together. But only with an offical kick-off!! (cue drumroll please......)OK here we go...ready...set...STOP!!....need to tie my shoestrings!!....sorry about that...one more time...123 GO!!! And we're off!! But don't tell anyone we cheated with a head start!!! :) Pammy
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

With you on your journey!!
    My journey is beginning too, so lets do it together. But only with an offical kick-off!! (cue drumroll please......)OK here we go...ready...set...STOP!!....need to tie my shoestrings!!....sorry about that...one more time...123 GO!!! And we're off!! But don't tell anyone we cheated with a head start!!! :) Pammy

I won't tell if you
    I won't tell if you don't...lol

Thanks for the laugh and smile...

Hugs

~T