Biopsy experience

Options
austingrl
austingrl Member Posts: 45
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Well, I went in for the core needle biopsy. Found out that my BIRADS was a 4. The doctor found the mass that were looking for with the ultrasound wand,and noticed that there was a lot of fluid in it, and so decided to do a FNAB. What came out looked like 1cc of red gunk with the consistency of toothpaste, nothing like the liquid you would expect. He said that could have been the reason it echoed so much on the ultrasound. Then he went back in to draw more out. He said he could see it visibly shrink on the screen as he pulled the mess out. It was beginning to sound as if he was going to blow off the core biopsy, and I gotta say for a minute that I was tempted. But I said, let's do it anyway, just to be sure. When I asked whether breast cancer could encapsulate a cyst, he said he had seen that before, that cancer can grow in the walls of a cyst. So he went ahead with it and got two cores. They put in a clip to mark where they did the biopsy, but had a tough time getting the clip to release from the syringe. The main thing that really got to me was all the pressure. They gave me plenty of lidocaine, but it is going to wear off soon, so I am just going to kick back with my ice pack and rest. I should hear something within 5-7 days, and I will keep everyone posted.

Hope Kit's doing OK. Has anyone heard from her?

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Austingrl
    Haven't heard from Kit yet, but glad you are home and feeling OK, the wait is probably going to be tough, so hang in there!
    Sounds like you had an interesting experience.....
    Take care
    Cat
  • mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    glad it's over
    You were brave. I might have blown it off. Relax with your ice pack and take in a good DVD. I hope for benign results next week.

Kit, are you out there?
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    mimivac said:

glad it's over
    You were brave. I might have blown it off. Relax with your ice pack and take in a good DVD. I hope for benign results next week.

Kit, are you out there?

5 to 7 days!!!!!??? Why so
    5 to 7 days!!!!!??? Why so long? I had my results within 48 hours...
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Austingrl
    I am so glad that this is behind you now. I will pray for good results! Why do you have to wait so long? I had my results right then pretty much. We had to wait a lil while, but, it was worth it. I needed to know. And no, I haven't heard from Kit yet. I hope we will sometime tonight maybe. Hang in there!
  • Kit1018
    Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Austingrl
    I am so glad that this is behind you now. I will pray for good results! Why do you have to wait so long? I had my results right then pretty much. We had to wait a lil while, but, it was worth it. I needed to know. And no, I haven't heard from Kit yet. I hope we will sometime tonight maybe. Hang in there!

I'm here kicked back resting also
    AustinGirl,
    I am praying for benign results for you hun. You had one heck of a experience today. I am glad you stood your ground and had them go ahead and get the core biopsy anyways. I hope you get alot of rest, many I will see you in the chat room sometime. 5-7 days seems like a longtime,but try to keep busy and hopefully it will go fast. Did the doc say if he had an idea as to if he thought it was benign or not.
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Kicking Back
    Glad you are both home and resting. An ice pack and a good movie sound good.

Re results, my understanding is that doctors know within the next business day or so. I was told I would be informed within 3 days. But, I called my PCP. She got the results 24 hours after the biopsy and called me. So, you might ask if you can get results earlier.

Hoping for good news from both of you next week

Moopy
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Kicking Back
    Glad you are both home and resting. An ice pack and a good movie sound good.

Re results, my understanding is that doctors know within the next business day or so. I was told I would be informed within 3 days. But, I called my PCP. She got the results 24 hours after the biopsy and called me. So, you might ask if you can get results earlier.

Hoping for good news from both of you next week

Moopy

So glad this part is over
    So glad this part is over for you. Wishing you the best.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Hi Austingrl
    I think you were very smart asking to do it anyway. That is what we all have to be here is, our own advocate. There are so many things i would still not know if it weren't for asking questions, doing alot of research, and being here with my sisters on this board. They have helped me through everything, emotional and physical.
    My biopsy hurt like a the devil! I remember when I cried out I didn't even recognize it.. sounded like a wounded animal!! Of everything i have been through (surgery, chemo, and a few rads so far.. this was truley the worst for me. I don't know why..I had lidocane also but i'm pretty sure they didn't leave it on long enough. You are very brave.
    Get lots of rest and i will be wishing you all the luck in the world.
    hugs
    Jackie
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    austingrl...
    Please do keep us posted re: results...

Fingers and toes crossed for good luck.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Austingrl, so glad to know
    Austingrl, so glad to know that you are home! Hope you had a relaxing night. Just try and have a good weekend. And, I will pray for good results for you!
  • GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Austingrl, so glad to know
    Austingrl, so glad to know that you are home! Hope you had a relaxing night. Just try and have a good weekend. And, I will pray for good results for you!

Glad the day is over. Have a little (or alot) of chocolate with those dvd's and rest, rest, rest!!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Glad the day is over. Have a little (or alot) of chocolate with those dvd's and rest, rest, rest!!

You have had quite a day!
    You have had quite a day! Get some rest and relax!
  • austingrl
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

5 to 7 days!!!!!??? Why so
    5 to 7 days!!!!!??? Why so long? I had my results within 48 hours...

The wait
    I'm not sure...mabe I heard wrong. My discharge papers said 2 business days. That sounds more accurate.
  • austingrl
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hi Austingrl
    I think you were very smart asking to do it anyway. That is what we all have to be here is, our own advocate. There are so many things i would still not know if it weren't for asking questions, doing alot of research, and being here with my sisters on this board. They have helped me through everything, emotional and physical.
    My biopsy hurt like a the devil! I remember when I cried out I didn't even recognize it.. sounded like a wounded animal!! Of everything i have been through (surgery, chemo, and a few rads so far.. this was truley the worst for me. I don't know why..I had lidocane also but i'm pretty sure they didn't leave it on long enough. You are very brave.
    Get lots of rest and i will be wishing you all the luck in the world.
    hugs
    Jackie

Insistent
    Jackie, I would have wondered all summer if I should have done the core biopsy. Besides the pressure, the most painful part of this for me was when they couldn't get the clip to dislodge from the end of the plunger. The doctor, a man, kept pushing down on this are with the transducer while the techs were rummaging around for another plunger. It was all I could do to not shout, "Would you guys please do something, either pull this thing out, or figure out how it's supposed to work?" But I didn't..they were really nice for the most part, they had one lady there who is a survivor, all she does is come in during biopsies and hold the hand of women who are having biopsies, and bless her heart, I almost broke her fingers. What and angel she was!! I couldn't have done it without her. I think every woman should have the benefit of this. My friend who drove me there wasn't allowed in.

I am a little sore. But it's mostly when I bend over and gravity pulls my breast downward. but it's really not bad. I'm a ittle itchy, too, from the tape. But for the most part, I feel fine now that it's over.