How long does it take to make a friend

Options
Marcia527
Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I heard a radio show once where the expert was saying it takes an average of 7 or 8 years to make a friend. You have to get to know them and usually that takes time. But on this message board it's different. In my opinion who ever posts for the first time is a friend and doesn't need to wait for validation. You're all my friends!

Comments

• cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Absolutely right!
    Marcia, you hit the nail on the head with that one!Hammer & Nail Pictures, Images and Photos

Instant family, just add bc survivors! Thanks for pointing it out.

Cat
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    ..got too click happy!

..got too click happy!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    :-)

I could not have said it better myself!

RE
  • ladybug22
    ladybug22 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    marcia
    marcia am with u every one on here is my friend
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Food for thought!
    But, I don't agree with the radio show and I do agree with you Marcia! And, I also believe

in love at first sight. I fell in love with my husband the first time I saw him, and, I

still am crazy in love with him!

Thanks my friend Marcia! Hugs!!!

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I don't think it takes that
    I don't think it takes that long. Maybe a year or two to really get to know someone depending on how often you interact. Here it's different. Maybe it's because we cut through all the crap and get down to the business of helping one another. Marcia I've always valued your opinion and looked forward to your posts but just in case you don't know how valuable you are I'm going to consumate it and click on your + sign :)
    Hugs
    jan
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options

I don't think it takes that
    I don't think it takes that long. Maybe a year or two to really get to know someone depending on how often you interact. Here it's different. Maybe it's because we cut through all the crap and get down to the business of helping one another. Marcia I've always valued your opinion and looked forward to your posts but just in case you don't know how valuable you are I'm going to consumate it and click on your + sign :)
    Hugs
    jan

Right on!
    I certainly consider everyone here my friend, sight unseen. You're right, Jan, from day one we cut through all the crap, and that definitely makes a difference.
    We share EVERYTHING here -- the good, the bad, and the ugly -- and no one is ever judgemental. We laugh together and cry together, and there are unlimited virtual hugs. What more could you ask for in a friend?

With love to you ALL,
    Debi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    I think both points are valid...
    .... although I think a lot also depends on the individuals involved. I've known one of my friends for 5 years, yet feel just as close to her - maybe even more so, right now - as I do with others after 15-20 years.

But HERE, yes! - definitely. It's quite different. Because we all have the BC experience - which is extremely intense, to put it mildly! - in common. That experience in and of itself provides the foundation for immediate friendship. It's already there, in place, doesn't have to be "built"...

Therefore, Marcia - i wholeheartedly agree with with you. From the moment we read that very first post from a brand new member - there's a relationship already in place. Whether scared by possible test results, newly diagnosed, enduring treatment, long-term survivor. Doesn't matter.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I agree totally Marcia about
    I agree totally Marcia about people here becoming friends after their first posting. Breast

cancer solidifies a union between us that noone else can ever have. And, I am very grateful

for each and everyone of you. So, thank you Marcia for being my friend, and, thanks to all

of you who I count amongst my friends too!

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    For some odd reason...
    The theme song from the TV show "Golden Girls" is now running through my head, and won't stop...

Arghhh!!!
  • lynn1950
    lynn1950 Member Posts: 2,570
    Options
    Friends
    Marcia, I love you. Lynn
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    lynn1950 said:

Friends
    Marcia, I love you. Lynn

Marcia, my friend. OK, that
    Marcia, my friend. OK, that says it all! :)
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Dear Marcia
    I think friendship is something we can't predict but feel a closeness to. I feel such warmth and friendship on this board with not just, you but yes you darlin, but with all of us sisters there seems to be an unspoken bond that will never be broken, i love you. jackie
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    rjjj said:

Dear Marcia
    I think friendship is something we can't predict but feel a closeness to. I feel such warmth and friendship on this board with not just, you but yes you darlin, but with all of us sisters there seems to be an unspoken bond that will never be broken, i love you. jackie

Where else could you go in
    Where else could you go in the middle of the night & talk to a friend you know will be there for you....only here. (I tried talking to my plants & now they look alittle "Droopy") What a comfort to log on already knowing you have friends on the other end of that "Click"!! I wouldn't dare wake a friend up 3:00am because I'm having a meltdown.(I don't think they would understand the eratic behaviour if not walking in my shoes....they may start to avoid me) I WOULD turn my puter on though and talk to anyone of you because I know you care and understand and most certainly would get back to me if you were sleeping. This is the kind of friendship that would never had been found if we all didn't share the same journey....I think I may have found a blessing in my pain! Adding you to my list as well, Marcia.....:) Pammy
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Where else could you go in
    Where else could you go in the middle of the night & talk to a friend you know will be there for you....only here. (I tried talking to my plants & now they look alittle "Droopy") What a comfort to log on already knowing you have friends on the other end of that "Click"!! I wouldn't dare wake a friend up 3:00am because I'm having a meltdown.(I don't think they would understand the eratic behaviour if not walking in my shoes....they may start to avoid me) I WOULD turn my puter on though and talk to anyone of you because I know you care and understand and most certainly would get back to me if you were sleeping. This is the kind of friendship that would never had been found if we all didn't share the same journey....I think I may have found a blessing in my pain! Adding you to my list as well, Marcia.....:) Pammy

Marcia, from the first time
    Marcia, from the first time you answered my post, there was a kindred bond between us....that is an instant friendship. I have known people for most of my life, and with some have never developed a friendship as tight and lasting as with those on this board. The commonality of the survivorship creates a very "special" friendship that can't be broken by rant, rave, crying, laughing, poking fun of, or disagreement. You, my friend, have been there for me more than once, and I will always consider you a friend, as are all the others on this board. We don't have to always agree, but we are always there for each other. The definition of friendship personified. Thank you all for being in my group. Hugs.

Judy
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Oh Marcia,