Pat -scan test.

vilma80
vilma80 Member Posts: 22
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My husband finished his chimo.tratment this wendesday,and he was scheduled for a Pat scan today....Just did the pat scan today,go back to work,so tired.

Im very concern that hubby hasn't gain any weight,at all just lost few pounds while in chimo,he his not hungry,and dont know what to do about his weight.i have bought him the ensure,all the proteine bar,but he refuses everything,,,,,I dont know what else to do.
I think he is very depressed.
Any advised out there it will be greatly appriciated.

God Bless.
V.

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Weight Loss
    Vilma,

Your husband will most likely suffer from fatigue for awhile. By fatigue, I don't mean just tiredness. Yes, I am tired. Really, my whole body aches and I just can't move sometimes. Short bouts of exercise help: short walk, swim, yoga. Frequent naps if needed but I usually just need to sit and rest often or sometimes lie down.

It is pretty common to lose appetite. I was on steroids the first round and in that 6 month period I GAINED 25 pounds. On the last couple of rounds (different cocktails, no steroids) I've lost that and a few more. I eat, but my appetite is down. One meal I'll eat quite a lot and then I pick for days. This is normal for me. I eat more soup now than ever in my life but I can't tolerate canned soups. When friends ask what they can do for me I have them make a big pot of soup. I put it in individual containers for my freezer. Now I always have soup on hand. Peanut butter is high calorie and has been a good friend, as has mild cheeses. Brie, muenster and havarti are my favorite. Hard boiled eggs. These are all good protein choices, readily available whenever I decide I'm hungry and are fairly high in calories. Your husband isn't eating the protein bars or drinking Ensure because they taste like monkey butt. You need to find something he likes.

He may or may not be depressed. That is a question for his doctors. Not eating may not be a good indicator for someone on chemo, though.

Good luck with the scan. I pray for it to be clean! Please let us know.

Kimby
  • vilma80
    kimby said:

Weight Loss
    Vilma,

Your husband will most likely suffer from fatigue for awhile. By fatigue, I don't mean just tiredness. Yes, I am tired. Really, my whole body aches and I just can't move sometimes. Short bouts of exercise help: short walk, swim, yoga. Frequent naps if needed but I usually just need to sit and rest often or sometimes lie down.

It is pretty common to lose appetite. I was on steroids the first round and in that 6 month period I GAINED 25 pounds. On the last couple of rounds (different cocktails, no steroids) I've lost that and a few more. I eat, but my appetite is down. One meal I'll eat quite a lot and then I pick for days. This is normal for me. I eat more soup now than ever in my life but I can't tolerate canned soups. When friends ask what they can do for me I have them make a big pot of soup. I put it in individual containers for my freezer. Now I always have soup on hand. Peanut butter is high calorie and has been a good friend, as has mild cheeses. Brie, muenster and havarti are my favorite. Hard boiled eggs. These are all good protein choices, readily available whenever I decide I'm hungry and are fairly high in calories. Your husband isn't eating the protein bars or drinking Ensure because they taste like monkey butt. You need to find something he likes.

He may or may not be depressed. That is a question for his doctors. Not eating may not be a good indicator for someone on chemo, though.

Good luck with the scan. I pray for it to be clean! Please let us know.

Kimby

THANK YOU KIMBY!
    You respons are always appriciated.
    He has days when he eats,and days like he just likes to picks,like yours.My bigest concern is that he hasn't gain any weight for 2 months while in chimo.He was on erbutix,which the dirrea was a big issue,and sometimes,vometting on the days of his chimo.

I do give him some vitamins,and try to give him fruits,and veggis.

Correct Ensure it does taste like monkey,but i dont know what else to find for him.I do try to take him out,or offer him anything that he might like,but i do find it really hard to make him eat.

My friends think that he is depressed,and most of the times he is Disengage from everybody,i just dont know why!!!

I will defently keep you posted,on the pat scan,im shaking and i do feel really worried.

God bless you.
    Vilma,
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    vilma80 said:

THANK YOU KIMBY!
    You respons are always appriciated.
    He has days when he eats,and days like he just likes to picks,like yours.My bigest concern is that he hasn't gain any weight for 2 months while in chimo.He was on erbutix,which the dirrea was a big issue,and sometimes,vometting on the days of his chimo.

I do give him some vitamins,and try to give him fruits,and veggis.

Correct Ensure it does taste like monkey,but i dont know what else to find for him.I do try to take him out,or offer him anything that he might like,but i do find it really hard to make him eat.

My friends think that he is depressed,and most of the times he is Disengage from everybody,i just dont know why!!!

I will defently keep you posted,on the pat scan,im shaking and i do feel really worried.

God bless you.
    Vilma,

Hi Vilma!
    it's very normal to lose weight on chemo. Is he on a pump that he gets unhooked from? I'm fine until they unhook me, and then for the next 4 days, I also have to force myself to eat and drink, this weekend I will be wiped out since I get disconnected, I won't be able to even sleep, I get restless now the more I go, I feel "itchy" sometimes under my skin, where it makes it hard to rest, I have lost 31 pounds since January, being hospitalized twice, from 152 to 118! I am practically at the weight I am before I had my 4 kids! I don't have anything that even fits me anymore.

But Ensure does help, I really like the dark chocolate one, it's the only one I will drink, my kids even like it. try soups, and breads with gravy, apples with peanut butter, bananas with peanut butter, once he can get something down, he can keep going, just tell him to force himself.. does he bounce back after a few days, to himself, where he does eat better, once he goes back to his next chemo?? it becomes such a routine now, just when I feel better, I have to go back 2 weeks later to feel like crap again.

Hang in there girl, as long as it's help killing that cancer, it's all good, he'll get that weight up eventually!

Hugssss!
    ~Donna
  • vilma80
    Shayenne said:

Hi Vilma!
    it's very normal to lose weight on chemo. Is he on a pump that he gets unhooked from? I'm fine until they unhook me, and then for the next 4 days, I also have to force myself to eat and drink, this weekend I will be wiped out since I get disconnected, I won't be able to even sleep, I get restless now the more I go, I feel "itchy" sometimes under my skin, where it makes it hard to rest, I have lost 31 pounds since January, being hospitalized twice, from 152 to 118! I am practically at the weight I am before I had my 4 kids! I don't have anything that even fits me anymore.

But Ensure does help, I really like the dark chocolate one, it's the only one I will drink, my kids even like it. try soups, and breads with gravy, apples with peanut butter, bananas with peanut butter, once he can get something down, he can keep going, just tell him to force himself.. does he bounce back after a few days, to himself, where he does eat better, once he goes back to his next chemo?? it becomes such a routine now, just when I feel better, I have to go back 2 weeks later to feel like crap again.

Hang in there girl, as long as it's help killing that cancer, it's all good, he'll get that weight up eventually!

Hugssss!
    ~Donna

Thanks
    Thanks Donna,
    All you r support and ideas are always appriciated.
    Dont know when his next chimo is,we have to met with his onc.sometimes next week,and see what the plain is.
    he is not in the pump one,he did that last year,his chimo is everyweek,for about 1 to 2 hrs.and every 4 weeks he gets a 4 hrs one.
    My bigest concern is that he is vomitting more often now,specially in the morning.I need to talk to his doctor,hopefully we will get an answer about that.

As far as the ensure goes,he always refuses them,he just dont like them.I try to give him multi vitamins daily,and they also seem to give him hard time,he just refuses everything when it cames to pills,and medicine.

Im very concern,havent heard from moffit cancer center,on his pat scan results yet.GOD im so Anxious to know.
    Will keep this wonderful site updated on the results!

Thanks a lot.
    God bless
    Vilma.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    vilma80 said:

Thanks
    Thanks Donna,
    Dont know when his next chimo is,we have to met with his onc.sometimes next week,and see what the plain is.
    he is not in the pump one,he did that last year,his chimo is everyweek,for about 1 to 2 hrs.and every 4 weeks he gets a 4 hrs one.
    My bigest concern is that he is vomitting more often now,specially in the morning.I need to talk to his doctor,hopefully we will get an answer about that.

As far as the ensure goes,he always refuses them,he just dont like them.I try to give him multi vitamins daily,and they also seem to give him hard time,he just refuses everything when it cames to pills,and medicine.

Im very concern,havent heard from moffit cancer center,on his pat scan results yet.GOD im so Anxious to know.

Thanks a lot.
    God bless
    Vilma.

Good Luck....
    ...on those scans, I wish him well, maybe he may like "Boost" better then "Ensure" but, not everyone does like that stuff. I tried the strawberry, and didn't even like that one. Only chocolate for me, and I chug it till it's gone, he needs to help himself as well though and try forcing himself, even if he don't want too, sometimes the first few bites are hard to get down after chemo is disconnected from me, but once I start eating, I'm ok.

Your doctor needs to prescribe him some anti-nausea pills, I am on Emend, I have zofran, compazine, ativans, and even dexamethesone which are great, just finished my 5th treatment, and have not had any nausea or vomiting problems, I hope he gets those pills, they do help.

Hugssss!
    ~Donna
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    vilma80 said:

Thanks
    Thanks Donna,

Thanks a lot.
    God bless
    Vilma.

Nausea
    Vilma,

If your husband has trouble with pills but needs nausea control, I have very good nausea control with a patch. It's pretty new (My pharmacist hadn't heard of it) but effective. It is by prescription only so ask his onc if you're interested in trying it. Sancuso is the name of it. I don't have pill issues but needed 24/7 nausea control. It even worked well during my chemo/liver rad days.

Good Luck,

Kimby