Seeking some information

taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello ladies, and let me start by saying..."Thank you" I read your responses from my original post "Diagnosed last Wednesday" and let's just say the support still makes me cry... but not from sadness or fear... but because finally I am speaking with people who understand, and even though I have to face this on my own, I am not as alone as I feel and trust me I feel very alone.

The information that I am seeking is regarding radiation therapy. I will have the sental node (sp ?) biopsy and total lumpectomy on June 9th. (would have been next week but I have another medical proceedure that needs to be done next thursday, totally unrelated, and I can only take so much prodding)...

The doctor told me that radiation therapy was not an option, but rather a must. Even if everything else comes back okay. If things don't come back clean than as you all know chemo, rad. etc... So, I already know minimum after my lumpectomy, I will undergo radiation.

I work full time, and have already prepaid for our family vacation the week of July 16-26. I read that they like to begin radiation around 4 weeks after the lumpectomy which would put us somewhere around the 7th of July.... Will we have to cancel our family vacation or would it be okay to put off starting my therapy until after we returned....? I know I will ask the doctor....

Also... I work full time and was wondering how radiation affected some of you. Can I go for my treatments on my luch hour and go back to work? Can I keep working through my treatments... will I be too drained??? I have no idea what to tell my employer... how will I feel??

Thanks

~T

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Hi again Taleena!
    My radiation oncologist started my rad treatments 6 weeks after my lumpectomy, and, I think that is kind of the norm for time. They want you to be healed up before they start the treatments. But, that could vary from doctor to doctor. About delaying your rad treatments, that really is a question for your radiation doctor, as I have no idea. I, personally, wouldn't think that waiting an extra 2 weeks would be a huge matter for concern, but, I don't know, it might be. The delaying of a treatment to kill stray cancer cells is very important, and the sooner, probably the better to get it working.

Lots of people work full time during radiation treatments. It is an individual choice for each person and varies. You will probably become more tired with rads, so, just be sure and get lots of sleep and take it easy. And, I am not for sure if you can schedule your treatment during your lunch hour. Ask your radiation oncologist. I know I got mine scheduled to a good time for me, but, others couldn't because there were so many people having treatments that everyone couldn't get the time they wanted always. You should explain to your employer, ofcourse, what is going on with your treatment. And, you should make them aware that you might physically not be 100% as you were prior to treatment. Hopefully, they will understand and help you in anyway that they can. Noone really knows how they individually will feel until they actually start and go thru the radiation treatments. People's side effects vary. I know I was and still am tired, which is normal.

I wish you the best of luck Taleena. If you have any questions, concerns or just want to vent, you have come to the perfect place. Good luck to you Taleena!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Rads
    I would ask your doctor if you can delay treatment to allow for your vacation, it can't hurt to ask. Generally rads tend to make you tired and the more treatments you receive the more tired you will become so be kind to yourself and rest often. Treatments usually take about an hour, most of which is waiting in the lobby and set-up. In regards to having your treatments during your lunch hour I suppose that will depend on the location of your treatment center in relation to your job location and of course it will go over the normal hour allotted for lunch. Some centers open early so you may want to see if you can schedule your treatments first thing in the morning. My best to you!

RE
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Taleena, you will need to
    Taleena, you will need to ask your radiation oncologist if you can delay your treatments. Only he or she will be able to answer that. I do hope that you can go on your vacation as you well deserve it.
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    working thru rad
    Taleena,
    I have spoke to people who worked thru their rad treatments & some who did not. I personally decided to take time off work thru this whole ordeal to concentrate on getting me well and being kind to myself. I have a tendancy to go down hill quickly when I push myself. I am fortunate to have disability Insurance that I will be utalizing to get us through. If this is not possible for you or you prefer to continue to work, talk with your employer about possibly taking a couple extra breaks during the day. You may find they are surprisingly willing to work with you. Not sure if these treatments would put us into the group of persons with disabilities act but they may have to work with you if it does. My employer hired a temp and made me promise I would resume my position even if it takes a year! Bless her heart!! Hope all works out for you :) Pammy
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Kristin N said:

Taleena, you will need to
    Taleena, you will need to ask your radiation oncologist if you can delay your treatments. Only he or she will be able to answer that. I do hope that you can go on your vacation as you well deserve it.

Hey Taleena
    I just had an

Hey Taleena
    I just had an hour meet up with my radiation guy...he said they'd want to start about a month after chemo but he also said that if I was taking longer to recoup my strengh after chemo they could move it back. Course that doesn't answer the question...but maybe the timing can be flexible. Just ask.
    He said that the actual radiation only takes 15 to 30 minutes so you should be able to do lunch hour if you work close by. He also said that they like to to stick with the same time everyday so that should work for you. I'll have an hour drive to get to treatments everyday
    so I'm going to try like 8:00 a.m. before work...hope you ca work it out.
  • MAJW
    MAJW Member Posts: 2,510 Member
    seeking information reply
    I have a friend who had a trip scheduled during her radiation.....she was able to have her radiation treatments, three of them, where she was going...it took some scheduling but she was able to do it and not miss the trip.......

I just had a lumpectomy and 3 sentinel nodes removed 8 days ago.........If I can offer you any advice on this ....I have to say.......it is not bad at all! I also had to have the wire needle localization done several hours before the surgery. I was terrified of that. More so than of the surgery..sounds crazy doesn't it? It turned out to not be much at all....my breast was numbed first and then I felt little more than some pressure....DON"T FEAR IT LIKE I DID....MAKE SURE THEY NUMB IT.......DEMAND IT, if necesarry!....then onto the surgical center....had the four radioactive injections.....breast was numbed with a spray.....it burns a bit when the dye is injected, but is VERY, VERY tolerable. They gave me the "happy juice" in the IV before and I really didn't care then..haha.......my surgery was at 1:00 PM.......woke up in recovery at 2:30 PM....and I must say, there was very little pain.....somes burning in the nipple was about it..... Good pain meds were administered..and I was given coke to drink and crackers...I went to the "step down" recovery room around 3:oo PM.......they gave me more coke to drink, kept me about another 40 minutes and I was home by 4:15 !!!! I was fully awake and never went back to sleep until that night around 11:00 pm.....I did make sure I took the pain meds that they gave me on a regular basis, every four hours for the first two days......so the pain, what little there is, doesn't "take hold"........I was simply amazed at the lack of pain....but the breast is mostly fatty tissue . The most discomfort comes from the node removal.......it is very tender, not painful, just sore. It is still sore, but I am moving around freely, and honestly I feel fine! Got my final pathology report two days ago......tumor successfully removed and my lymph nodes were NEGATIVE for cancer.......YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I see the surgeon and oncologist next week......radiation is a given....probably 7 weeks 5 days a week....I have no fear of that at all......I do know to expect tiredness as it is cumlative....WE CAN DO IT!
    This is a sucky "sisterhood" to belong to, but a sisterhood nonetheless.....WE WILL SURVIVE......I don't know you but you will be in my prayers for your upcoming surgery....If I can be of ANY HELP what so ever, please contact me...... GOD BLESS YOU.........
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    MAJW said:

I have a friend who had a trip scheduled during her radiation.....she was able to have her radiation treatments, three of them, where she was going...it took some scheduling but she was able to do it and not miss the trip.......

I just had a lumpectomy and 3 sentinel nodes removed 8 days ago.........If I can offer you any advice on this ....I have to say.......it is not bad at all! I also had to have the wire needle localization done several hours before the surgery. I was terrified of that. More so than of the surgery..sounds crazy doesn't it? It turned out to not be much at all....my breast was numbed first and then I felt little more than some pressure....DON"T FEAR IT LIKE I DID....MAKE SURE THEY NUMB IT.......DEMAND IT, if necesarry!....then onto the surgical center....had the four radioactive injections.....breast was numbed with a spray.....it burns a bit when the dye is injected, but is VERY, VERY tolerable. They gave me the "happy juice" in the IV before and I really didn't care then..haha.......my surgery was at 1:00 PM.......woke up in recovery at 2:30 PM....and I must say, there was very little pain.....somes burning in the nipple was about it..... Good pain meds were administered..and I was given coke to drink and crackers...I went to the "step down" recovery room around 3:oo PM.......they gave me more coke to drink, kept me about another 40 minutes and I was home by 4:15 !!!! I was fully awake and never went back to sleep until that night around 11:00 pm.....I did make sure I took the pain meds that they gave me on a regular basis, every four hours for the first two days......so the pain, what little there is, doesn't "take hold"........I was simply amazed at the lack of pain....but the breast is mostly fatty tissue . The most discomfort comes from the node removal.......it is very tender, not painful, just sore. It is still sore, but I am moving around freely, and honestly I feel fine! Got my final pathology report two days ago......tumor successfully removed and my lymph nodes were NEGATIVE for cancer.......YIPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE I see the surgeon and oncologist next week......radiation is a given....probably 7 weeks 5 days a week....I have no fear of that at all......I do know to expect tiredness as it is cumlative....WE CAN DO IT!
    This is a sucky "sisterhood" to belong to, but a sisterhood nonetheless.....WE WILL SURVIVE......I don't know you but you will be in my prayers for your upcoming surgery....If I can be of ANY HELP what so ever, please contact me...... GOD BLESS YOU.........

Hi Majw - Wow I think you
    Hi Majw - Wow I think you answered a few questions I had on whats about to happen to me next week. Thanks every little bit of knowledge helps going into it.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    MAJW said:

MAJW...
    Heartfelt congratulations for clean nodes! No chemo! YAY! Good for you, and thanks for sharing.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    MAJW said:

POP*POP*POP(fireworks!)
    I'm am sooooooo happy for you! Let's hope your good fortune is contagious and will spread to all of us still waiting.....you go girl!! This is the only sisterhood I have ever belonged to and I AM LOVING IT!! And you are absolutely right...WE WILL SURVIVE!!! :)
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Ask your Dr. about delaying
    Ask your Dr. about delaying radiation for the vacation. As far as working through radiation treatments, I think it would be possible. The radiation itself takes about 10 minutes, but getting to the place, waiting your turn, changing in and out of the hospital gown...the whole appointment can take an hour. If your treatment center is close to work and your work is flexible (in case you have to wait your turn or get into slow traffic...) I think it might be possible to do it on a lunch hour. I work at school and got mine done right after school was out. I was tired, but not unbearably. I just did not want to do a lot after work.

Hope it helps. seof.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    seof said:

Ask your Dr. about delaying
    Ask your Dr. about delaying radiation for the vacation. As far as working through radiation treatments, I think it would be possible. The radiation itself takes about 10 minutes, but getting to the place, waiting your turn, changing in and out of the hospital gown...the whole appointment can take an hour. If your treatment center is close to work and your work is flexible (in case you have to wait your turn or get into slow traffic...) I think it might be possible to do it on a lunch hour. I work at school and got mine done right after school was out. I was tired, but not unbearably. I just did not want to do a lot after work.

Hope it helps. seof.

Hi again
    My radiation treatment was so fast I sometimes met myself coming in. My lovely dutch driver complained that he didn't have time to finish his coffee. As for working, well I wasn't At Work but I managed to put in a picket fence all round the front garden and fill it with shrubs and still do all the day to day stuff around the house. I think I could have worked on it, but everyone is different. Good luck Huge Hug Jxxxxxxxxxxxx