blasted by #6

Options
maglets
maglets Member Posts: 2,576 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My hats off to all you good folks who continue to work through chemo treatments. I had my last oxy infusion a week ago and started on my xeloda. By Monday I was flat on my back, in bed. all shakey and out of touch. My face got red and all puffed up....hard to see out of swollen eyes. So for 4 days I could sleep and eat and that was about it....

This is my third time in chemo land so I don't think I'm being a wimp about it but this time I just feel so toxic like my body is just saying NO More! I've had enough.....

has anyone else been oxalyplatined OUT?

mags

Comments

• Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    Awww....
    I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad, my hugs to you, but keep it going girl, you're doing so well. I haven't had oxy yet, I'm doing Folfiri, can they maybe switch you to something else that is hurting you too much? I have only done 5 treatments so far, and each time I can feel it taking a toll on me as well, I'm getting kind of scared as well, that I can't do this sometimes, but I do go on for on the kids. I hope you get well, and maybe just mention to your onc about the dosage even.

Hugssss and hope you feel better!
    ~Donna
  • maglets
    Options
    Shayenne said:

Awww....
    I'm so sorry you're feeling so bad, my hugs to you, but keep it going girl, you're doing so well. I haven't had oxy yet, I'm doing Folfiri, can they maybe switch you to something else that is hurting you too much? I have only done 5 treatments so far, and each time I can feel it taking a toll on me as well, I'm getting kind of scared as well, that I can't do this sometimes, but I do go on for on the kids. I hope you get well, and maybe just mention to your onc about the dosage even.

Hugssss and hope you feel better!
    ~Donna

sweetheart
    Donna you are such a sweetheart,,,thank you. The onc actually suggested I drop the oxy and I said....no no let's forge ahead....maybe I should have listened to him?
  • Paula G.
    Paula G. Member Posts: 596
    Options
    Sorry
    Mags, So sorry you are having such a rough time. I just recently joined because of my husbands DX stage4 (JR) is his post name. Your story gave me such great hope.
    My husband is taking Folfox + avastin. He seems to be doing ok with it but is very tired the first week after the infusion.
    Maybe they can change you to something else. My thoughts are with you and all you have been through. Hang in and keep us posted. Love to you Paula G.
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Hey Mags...
    I had the same issues in my round 2 last month. The onc also suggested I quit and I said no. They reduced the dose this month and I am doing much better. Maybe they could go down 1/3 or so?

Many hugs....Vicki
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Toxic
    Mags, we are pretty much all toxic at this point! Don't you feel like you could operate a nuclear power plant without assistance?

My hat is off to you. I couldn't even make it through my entire Folfox regimen. I did 10/12 and had to call it quits. Oxi is nasty stuff! Did you get Benadryl? It sounds like an allergic reaction. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. I'm sorry it is so rough right now.

You are NOT a chemo whimp! NO way No how. You are one tough cookie.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • maglets
    Options
    kimby said:

Toxic
    Mags, we are pretty much all toxic at this point! Don't you feel like you could operate a nuclear power plant without assistance?

My hat is off to you. I couldn't even make it through my entire Folfox regimen. I did 10/12 and had to call it quits. Oxi is nasty stuff! Did you get Benadryl? It sounds like an allergic reaction. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon. I'm sorry it is so rough right now.

You are NOT a chemo whimp! NO way No how. You are one tough cookie.

Hugs,

Kimby

toxic
    you are right Kimby....we are a toxic mess. When I see the complaint I have posted it makes me feel ashamed though. When you think of the collective suffering of the folks on this forum...it is just overwhelming somehow...so much pain! but so much hope and energy.

I know this little blip will pass for me and you know what....I probably should have done some Benadryl. I thought about it but was too tired to do it. Yes the oxy is nasty stuff but so too is it all.

My hat is off to you....you are always there for us.

Many thnaks and hugs to you.
    mags
  • JR
    JR Member Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Mags,
    Sorry to hear that #6 isn't going so well for you. I had #6 of Folfox + Avastin yesterday. I will get my pump off tomorrow. Things are going okay, a little worst than last time and probably a little better than next time. Anyway, you keep up the good work. Things will get better soon. I don't know what I could do to help you but if you think of anything, let me know.

John
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    maglets said:

toxic
    you are right Kimby....we are a toxic mess. When I see the complaint I have posted it makes me feel ashamed though. When you think of the collective suffering of the folks on this forum...it is just overwhelming somehow...so much pain! but so much hope and energy.

I know this little blip will pass for me and you know what....I probably should have done some Benadryl. I thought about it but was too tired to do it. Yes the oxy is nasty stuff but so too is it all.

My hat is off to you....you are always there for us.

Many thnaks and hugs to you.
    mags

Oh, Mags
    I hope I didn't make you feel worse! It is ok to be tired of feeling bad, especially when you've had such a rough time lately. Yes, there are those here that have been or are sicker. There are those that are doing much better. Neither of those truths make your suffering greater or lesser. YOU count, too.

So stop focusing on the suffering and pain. Look toward the light, hope, and inspiration that so many bring here to us. Maybe we can get PhillieG or CherylHutch to post more of their beautiful nature pictures. (I happen to know that Phil is holding out on us!) Maybe that would cheer you up?

Hang in there, friend. This too shall pass.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • Nana b
    Nana b Member Posts: 3,030 Member
    Options
    JR said:

Mags,
    Sorry to hear that #6 isn't going so well for you. I had #6 of Folfox + Avastin yesterday. I will get my pump off tomorrow. Things are going okay, a little worst than last time and probably a little better than next time. Anyway, you keep up the good work. Things will get better soon. I don't know what I could do to help you but if you think of anything, let me know.

John

I start number 7 next week
    At number six I was definitely feeling the posion in my body, my hands were purple, my hair was falling out, I didn't have as much energy. I wonder if I will get to the 10th treament before I start feeling lousing again? I have had a 3 month break. Anyone stop chemo then start again and know if the side affects started right away...........where they left off?

Sorry Mags, don' mean to take away from you post but you got me thinking. I sure hope you start feelin better!
  • menright
    menright Member Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Oxaliplatined
    Mags:

My first round of chemo included this gem. It was during the winter months and I worked through most of it. Fortunately and unfortunately I was on Oxy during the Christmas Holiday and I traditionally have two weeks off during this time. I spent most of that time in a miserable haze. You are not alone is all I can offer. Oxaliplanin did seem to attack my colon tumor though and it shrunk to nothing before they surgically removed it.

I wish you luck and sorry too hear of your pain.

Mike
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    So sorry, and YES!
    Oh Mags. I'm sorry it is kicking your butt like this. Can you get your dosage reduced? I had mine reduced after #5 or 6 and while that was better, it still was NOT pleasant. If your face is puffed up and red, perhaps you are having some sort of reaction to one of the drugs. Your onc knows about this reaction, right?

I'm sorry, but you are going to feel toxic, even if you get your oxi reduced; it's a matter of degree. Are you drinking a lot of water? I know you don't particularly feel like putting anything in your mouth or stomach, but it is REALLY IMPORTANT to stay hydrated or you can get in some serious trouble. Also, flushing your system will get some of those effects out; the medicine has done its work so it's ok to flush, flush, flush.

I think the most insidious effect of chemo is the tendency to dehydrate and the fatigue. Fatigue is the #1 reported problem for most chemo regimens in cancers across the spectrum. Fight the fatigue. Even if it is taking one turn around your garden, exercise as much as you can. This will also get stuff moving out with the water.

I feel your pain. Hang in there and imaging how many fewer you have to go.

Hugs!!!
    Kirsten
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Nana b said:

I start number 7 next week
    At number six I was definitely feeling the posion in my body, my hands were purple, my hair was falling out, I didn't have as much energy. I wonder if I will get to the 10th treament before I start feeling lousing again? I have had a 3 month break. Anyone stop chemo then start again and know if the side affects started right away...........where they left off?

Sorry Mags, don' mean to take away from you post but you got me thinking. I sure hope you start feelin better!

Enforced break
    Hi. I had 2 enforced breaks; one due to blood work and one due to general debilitation. I had to stop after #9, but that was probably mostly my fault since I was dehydrated & malnourished (wouldn't know it to look at my picture!) My chemo was "insurance" chemo so my onc had no problem stopping at #9. With others it's different, so hang in there as long and as strongly as you can!

Hugs,
    Kirsten
  • hannacat
    hannacat Member Posts: 101
    Options
    oxi
    Boy ,Oxi gave me vomiting and diarrhea that is memorable. It started with Rx#6 and #7. They gave me 2mg of Ativan IV to get me to the car. My husband says that he never saw my wonderful and compassionate nurses so eager to get me out of there.(some functions cannot be done discretely) After that, the dosage was decreased then ended. I finished the rest and have been NED since 2006. Told my husband I hoped he said the adult diapers were for his granny.

Youe swelling makes me think of allergy and there may be some steroid or something that they can give you.
    You are not over reacting. This stuff knocks your socks off. I'm thinking it is doing the same for your cancer.
    lol Hanna
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    so sorry
    Mags,
    I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so junk. I hope you can just curl up and take care of yourself. Better yet, have someone take care of you.
    Also, thanks for sharing how you feel. As you know, it is my husband who is fighting cc. He prefers not to read about it much but it is really helpful to both of us to know how everyone else is feeling. It also helps me stayed tuned in when he is being stoic. It reminds me how very hard this fight is for him (and all of you).
    Big hugs and lots of prayers to you.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    maglets said:

sweetheart
    Donna you are such a sweetheart,,,thank you. The onc actually suggested I drop the oxy and I said....no no let's forge ahead....maybe I should have listened to him?

Well,
    I don't think I'd stop, but I may have him reduce the dosage, and see if it makes a difference, I don't think I'd take having a swollen face like that each time you go, that couldn't even he healthy to your system doing that, hopefully you aren't getting allergic, but I would try another cocktail with no stopping, you aren't giving up! we have faith in you~

Hugssssss!
    ~Donna
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options

so sorry
    Mags,
    I'm so sorry to hear you're feeling so junk. I hope you can just curl up and take care of yourself. Better yet, have someone take care of you.
    Also, thanks for sharing how you feel. As you know, it is my husband who is fighting cc. He prefers not to read about it much but it is really helpful to both of us to know how everyone else is feeling. It also helps me stayed tuned in when he is being stoic. It reminds me how very hard this fight is for him (and all of you).
    Big hugs and lots of prayers to you.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen

oh mags
    #6 really kicked my butt.me and you are in the same boat.i feel like this oxy is killing me.the onc did reduce my 5fu it seemed to help just a little.sometimes i feel like i am not going to make it to #12 but we will have to see.luv ya mags and take care the best you can
  • daydreamer110761
    daydreamer110761 Member Posts: 487 Member
    Options

oh mags
    #6 really kicked my butt.me and you are in the same boat.i feel like this oxy is killing me.the onc did reduce my 5fu it seemed to help just a little.sometimes i feel like i am not going to make it to #12 but we will have to see.luv ya mags and take care the best you can

Mags....
    Hang in there girl. You remember me going from 6 through 12, and each time it got worse, and he offered to stop it at 10, then 11, then 12, and I didn't stop. BUT - on Tuesday, before the infusion, I would take zyrtek (allergy, and I don't like benedryl makes me tired) to stop any allergic reaction I would have - I learned it made me itchy in bad places. After the infusion when I got home I would take my vicodin so the leg cramps and stuff wouldn't hurt. by then the steroid kicks in also, and I am cleaning things. By wednesday afternoon was exhausted. Thursday morning would start taking immodium, because for whatever reason the diarhea started almost as soon as the pump came off, and lasts 2 days for me. I hated how all of it felt, and feeling like a walking drug store, but it all helped. mostly what helped was coming here tho....

by the way - it's been 3 weeks since the last pump came off. the tips of the fingers still tingle when the wind blows, can't taste much of anything, having vision trouble, and still tired. I don't want to be tired anymore, but am really glad to have not seen a doc in 3 weeks!
  • maglets
    Options

Mags....
    Hang in there girl. You remember me going from 6 through 12, and each time it got worse, and he offered to stop it at 10, then 11, then 12, and I didn't stop. BUT - on Tuesday, before the infusion, I would take zyrtek (allergy, and I don't like benedryl makes me tired) to stop any allergic reaction I would have - I learned it made me itchy in bad places. After the infusion when I got home I would take my vicodin so the leg cramps and stuff wouldn't hurt. by then the steroid kicks in also, and I am cleaning things. By wednesday afternoon was exhausted. Thursday morning would start taking immodium, because for whatever reason the diarhea started almost as soon as the pump came off, and lasts 2 days for me. I hated how all of it felt, and feeling like a walking drug store, but it all helped. mostly what helped was coming here tho....

by the way - it's been 3 weeks since the last pump came off. the tips of the fingers still tingle when the wind blows, can't taste much of anything, having vision trouble, and still tired. I don't want to be tired anymore, but am really glad to have not seen a doc in 3 weeks!

Hi babes
    Hi babes Yup I remember....all that

oh man you gotta love this stuff....good girl....3 weeks....well done...hope you continue to feel well

I am comin up outa the hole

hugs
    mags