Options
2»

Comments

• Kit1018
    Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Kylez said:

Kit
    I hope you don't mind my asking you, but, your posting puzzled me. Why would you have a double lumpectomy if you didn't have cancer? Wouldn't you just have a biopsy first to determine if it is cancer or not? And then, when it showed up benign, you would be spared a lumpectomy. And, did you have an MRI and core guided last year? I don't understand why you would have had a lumpectomy on both breasts. Sorry, but I am just confused. And, I don't mean to pry. And, good luck Friday Kit!

Kylez no problem
    Last year in May I had a diagnostic mammo then ultrasound. They found 2 masses/lumps in my breasts. I had a ultrasound core needle biopsy on the left breast. Came back benign. I then had other issues happen such as 3 blood clots in my lungs ect. My doctor, husband and I decided that to make absolute sure that they were benign that we would do a lumpectomy on both breasts. Came back benign again thankfully. A ultrasound core biopsy is not always 100% reliable and to be quite certain we had the lupmpectomy's.
    I was due for a recheck diagnostic mammo earlier but there were so many things going on that I got my recheck later than planned. So this month I had my recheck mammo/ultrasound and they found more abnormalities in lumps I can feel. So Friday I have bilateral ultrasound guided core biopsies.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Kit1018 said:

I also have biopsy friday
    I also have the core needle biopsy on friday on both breasts. I had the biopsy on my left breast and a double lumpectomy on both breasts last year. The results from last year were that they were benign. But the spots I have now are new. Did the radiologist give you a BiRad score?
    Mine was a 4. I pray that your biopsies are benign.
    This is a great place for support.

Kit, I want to wish you good
    Kit, I want to wish you good luck on Friday too! I will pray for good results for you!
  • Akiss4me
    Akiss4me Member Posts: 2,188
    Options
    austingrl said:

BIRADS
    I didn't think to ask them that. I was too busy asking them how large the mass was, to which the lady said she didn't know. I forgot to mention that this lump is sitting between two of my many cysts. I wish there was a clinical trial that is aimed specifically at perfecting MRI for women with dense breast tissue like mine. I threw the MRI suggestion out to one doctor already this year, and I was told the false + rate is too high. I really wish something could change with that so women like me can get better monitoring. I forgot to mention also that this mammogram and one last year were digital.

Breast MRI
    You sound alot like me....many cyst, 7 previous lumpectomies. Finally sent for Breast MRI. The area I was originally sent for was not even of concern once I got to Cancer Center for MRI (I would have ended up with another lumpectomy as opposed to a needle biopsy again). The MRI showed a completely different story & turned out to be accurate (confirmed by core needle biopsy). So here I am finally getting a needle biopsy first & needing the lumpectomy anyway!! But had they done needle biopsies on me the last 7 times, I would have been spared a whole lot more since they were always benign....go figure?
  • Kit1018
    Kit1018 Member Posts: 48
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

AustinGrl and Kit
    I will be thinking of you both on Friday. Most lumps do turn out to be benign, and I pray for that outcome for each of you.

By the way, Kit, I love your pup! Did you say her name is Daisy?

Yep her name is Daisy and
    Yep her name is Daisy and she is the best dog. I love her so much. Like she is one of the kids.
    Austin Girl I am praying for benign results for you.
  • austingrl
    austingrl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Akiss4me said:

Breast MRI
    You sound alot like me....many cyst, 7 previous lumpectomies. Finally sent for Breast MRI. The area I was originally sent for was not even of concern once I got to Cancer Center for MRI (I would have ended up with another lumpectomy as opposed to a needle biopsy again). The MRI showed a completely different story & turned out to be accurate (confirmed by core needle biopsy). So here I am finally getting a needle biopsy first & needing the lumpectomy anyway!! But had they done needle biopsies on me the last 7 times, I would have been spared a whole lot more since they were always benign....go figure?

Excisional biopsy
    Thanks again to everyone for your support..it really means a lot! AKiss4me...the first and only biopsy I ever had done was when I was 23 yo..there's an ugly 2-inch scar above my left nipple, and they most likely would never have done that nowadays. BTW, when you say the MRI showed a completely different story, do you mean that it was cancer?

Thanks!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options

Hoping all goes well for you
    Hoping all goes well for you Austingirl and Kit. Good luck to both, wishing all is benign. Hugs, Lili

Good luck to both of you,
    Good luck to both of you, Austingrl and Kit! Will keep you in my prayers. Let us know how everything goes!
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    There is something to be
    There is something to be said for "trusting your gut" and I'm sure you will never take "no" for an answer again. Good luck to you I hope you hear the magic word, benign. Let us know how it goes.
    jan
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    I will have you in my
    I will have you in my thoughts tomorrow. Please post and let us know how you are doing when you feel like it.
  • austingrl
    Options

There is something to be
    There is something to be said for "trusting your gut" and I'm sure you will never take "no" for an answer again. Good luck to you I hope you hear the magic word, benign. Let us know how it goes.
    jan

I just don't know
    Hi, Jan..thanks for your response. I will certainly be back to let everyone know..you all have been great!

I just don't know how to make a radiologist do a test they think I don't need. They didn't even ultrasound my right breast this time. As I mentioned in another thread, if I hadn't mentioned having this pain in my left breast, they most likely would not have wanted to do the ultrasound. I just don't get why all the fuss. Maybe because it takes such a long time with all these lumps?

I did seem to take a long time with this left side. The tech went over and over the area with that wand. My breast was raging by the time it was all over. I have to start really talking to these people ahead of time, and insisting even more on a full ultrasound on both sides. I'm unwilling to let it pass from here on out, even if it's not cancer.
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Noel said:

I will have you in my
    I will have you in my thoughts tomorrow. Please post and let us know how you are doing when you feel like it.

austingirl
    Austingirl,
    Good luck today with your core needle biopsy.
    Positive thoughts coming your way.
    Margo
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    That's the spirit!
    Sigh....we must be our own advocates. And push until we're satisfied.

My breast cancer showed on a PET scan for my stage III rectal cancer. They dismissed it somewhat, saying the rectal was critical. The second PET, the lump didn't show. So it was going to be dismissed...I said 'No, I just escaped with my life from one cancer, I'm not going to die from another! Please do a biopsy.' Long story short, I started treatment for my breast cancer 3 months after finishing treatment for my rectal cancer.

Hugs, Kathi
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options
    Let us know how everything
    Let us know how everything goes. We all wish you good luck and will be waiting to hear.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Today is Friday...
    And you've been close in thought, with hopes & prayers, austingrl.

Continued heartfelt wishes for the best possible outcome.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Today is Friday...

Kind regards, Susan

So, how did everything go
    So, how did everything go with you? I have been praying for you!
  • austingrl
    Options
    Kylez said:

So, how did everything go
    So, how did everything go with you? I have been praying for you!

How did it go
    Well...the ultrasound tech another doc came in to locate the site that was noticed by the first radiologist. This doctor said that it looked like it was full of fluid, which didn't make any sense to me because I got both a verbal and an on-paper report of a solid mass. He wanted to do a FNAB, and it was starting to look like he was going to pass on doing the core biopsy. I didn't feel too swift about that, since the core was the intial plan, so I persuaded him to go on and do it. When he aspirated this cyst, he said he watched it actually deflate and slowly disappear on the screen, and what he extracted was very thick, like toothpaste. He said this may have been why it echoed the way it did on the ultrasound. Hw went ahead and took two cores out, **** well. He also put in a clip, which didn't go so well, because they couldn't get the clip to release from the plunger after placing it.

Other than that, it wasn't all that bad...I was very fortunate to have an extremely kind lady there with me who held my hand during the procedure. She is a survivor, and that is one of the ways she helps other women who are going through, or possibly facing, breast cancer. It made what would have been an otherwise intolerable experience bearable for me. I have been floored by all the rallying around ne that I have experienced by survivors. It almost makes me feel a lttle guilty because it seems like I am making such a big deal out of all this, and I haven't even been diagnosed (yet). I am so very grateful for all the outpouring of love and support from my friends on and off this site. Including yours:) So thanks so much again!!
  • austingrl
    Options

Today is Friday...

Kind regards, Susan

Thanks!
    Thanks for your prayers and support, Susan. Thanks to everyone! You have been so wonderful!!