diagnosed last wednesday

Options
taleena
taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hearing the doctor say the word malignant over the phone on Wednesday last week was like getting punched in the stomach. We made an appointment for the following Wednesday (tomorrow). The next day I asked them to fax me the pathology report from the biopsy. After reviewing it for a few days and printing off the information from the American Cancer Society I finally sat down to review it.

Invasive ductal carcinoma, grade 1. Not yet staged, and lymph nodes have not yet been checked.

After reading all the information I feel stupid for this fear that keeps sweeping at me... after all it isn't a grade three. But I am still scared. Can a grade 1 carcinoma spread, or would it only spread at grade 2 or 3?

My mother had breast cancer when she was 38 and had two radical masectomies. I am 42. I keep telling myself to get over it and quit being such a "baby" that it could be worse... it could be a higher grade. But I am scared.

~T

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    No guilt
    T, you have just been diagnosed with breast cancer. Please don't spend time feeling guilty for being scared. You have the right to feel whatever you want. Being newly diagnosed, going through staging, waiting for results, etc. can be excruciating. Take it one step at a time. You are going to be fine.

As you know, a grade 1 tumor is one that is less aggressive than one that is grade 2 or grade 3. The cells look and respond more like normal cells than the more aggressive types. This is very good news. All invasive breast cancer has the potential to spread, and that is the reason for medical intervention. BC treatment is very advanced and survivors are the rule rather than the exception. I have a grade 3 tumor and I fully expect to survive and live out the rest of my natural life span. You will find that things have really changed since your mother's diagnosis.

BTW, you will want to mention your mother's diagnosis to your oncologist. Given that she had (I am assuming) pre-menopausal breast cancer, you might want to be tested for a genetic mutation. This will give you more information and a greater arsenal with which to fight.

No more guilt, OK? You spend that energy being good to yourself and taking this a step at a time.

Mimi
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options
    Hi Taleena! I know you are
    Hi Taleena! I know you are scared, we all were and are. But, just take a deep breath and take it one step at a time. Your oncologist will be able to answer all of your questions. And, your final pathology report after surgery will determine your treatment options. When do you have your surgery? Let us know what you find out and please relax. I am very sorry that you have bc.
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    Hello Taleena! I am sorry
    Hello Taleena! I am sorry that you are here because of your bc. But, this is a great site to come to. Everyone is helpful, nice and will walk you thru whatever you might need. Feeling scared is very natural and common. But, you will get thru it. Talk with your oncologist about your next step and your treatment. You will find some peace when you know exactly what you are dealing with and what you need to do. Take care!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Hello Taleena! I am sorry
    Hello Taleena! I am sorry that you are here because of your bc. But, this is a great site to come to. Everyone is helpful, nice and will walk you thru whatever you might need. Feeling scared is very natural and common. But, you will get thru it. Talk with your oncologist about your next step and your treatment. You will find some peace when you know exactly what you are dealing with and what you need to do. Take care!

Taleena
    It is just the same whatever grade or stage you have.... You still had to hear the most dreaded three words in the english language.
    You are not being a Baby at all. It's a dreadful shock that none of us ever expect to happen to them.
    Welcome to the site, and sorry you had to find us. But I hope we can be of help and supportive when and If you need us.

Huge Hugs to you Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    Hi Taleena, Welcome, Sorry
    Hi Taleena, Welcome, Sorry you have to be here. I also have Invasive Ductal Carcinoma and am pending surgery. All I can say is wait until you have all the facts. Like you just a few weeks back I was in a panic. I understand this is very normal. The ladies here helped me get through alot of questions and answers. However, it was very hard to wait on the doctors, and even when I did wait on them they could not tell me everything. Waiting is the worst. I learned to stay positive. Be sure to tell your doctors about your mother. My mother also had breast cancer. Don't get me wrong I still have my panic attacks, and then I get on this computer and I come to this site and I read until I feel better. Hang in there.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    You are not a baby. Hearing the words cancer and your name in the same sentence is enough to bring anyone to their knees. Your reaction is perfectly normal as you can see from the replies. I was in denial for the first 2 yrs and maybe I still am a bit. Take a deep breath and stay calm. Nothing is going to happen overnight and you have some time to wait for the final results. In the meantime do some research to understand your particular case so you have questions for your onc. Yes, it could be worse.....but it doesn't take away the fear of having the dx no matter how early stage. And yes, given enough time, grade 1 can become grade 2 or 3 but that's if you do nothing about it and that's not what you intend to do, right? I personally am so happy they caught it early. I'm a grade 3 wishing I had been grade 1. You my dear are going to be just fine. Grade 1 is just the good part of the bad.
    Celebrate the good and kick the bad in the a*s. We'll be here.

hugs
    jan
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

You are not a baby. Hearing the words cancer and your name in the same sentence is enough to bring anyone to their knees. Your reaction is perfectly normal as you can see from the replies. I was in denial for the first 2 yrs and maybe I still am a bit. Take a deep breath and stay calm. Nothing is going to happen overnight and you have some time to wait for the final results. In the meantime do some research to understand your particular case so you have questions for your onc. Yes, it could be worse.....but it doesn't take away the fear of having the dx no matter how early stage. And yes, given enough time, grade 1 can become grade 2 or 3 but that's if you do nothing about it and that's not what you intend to do, right? I personally am so happy they caught it early. I'm a grade 3 wishing I had been grade 1. You my dear are going to be just fine. Grade 1 is just the good part of the bad.

hugs
    jan

Well said!
    Well Said Jan!.......
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Well said!
    Well Said Jan!.......

Wow Jan, you really have a
    Wow Jan, you really have a way with words.
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options

hugs
    jan

It's OK
    Hi Taleena,

It's OK to feel whatever you are feeling. Scared, mad, sad, panic-stricken, weepy, whatever!! And the best thing you can do for yourself is take one day at a time and spend a lot of that time here on this site with all the wonderful women who have been through the same or similar journeys.

We are women, we are warriors, we are survivors, and now you are one of us too! Welcome. Sorry you have to belong to this club, but the members are way more compassionate and loving and way less judgemental than any other club you've ever belonged to before...I guarantee it!!

Much love and gentle hugs
    Debi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Warm welcome, taleena!
    Glad you found us, though sorry for the reason. What you're currently experiencing is what is often referred to here as an "emotional roller coaster"... Of course you're scared - cancer, of any type or stage, whatever - is a scary disease. With that being said, as a member of this group - you are now surrounded by survivors. I was 45 when diagnosed, almost 6 years ago. Many here are much longer-term than that.

Please don't compare NOW and your own situation to whatever your mother endured all those years ago. So much has changed since then. You are most certainly NOT a "baby" - allow yourself your feelings, whichever they may be. Don't suppress them - that's much worse for you.

Visit often. Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • tatooedinpink
    tatooedinpink Member Posts: 95
    Options
    Hi Taleena,
    So sorry, but

Hi Taleena,

So sorry, but welcome. You are about to find out what a strong, brave, loving, smart, kind, warrior woman you are!

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

Debbie

I am daughter of bc mom too. Upon reading thru my mom's records, it is amazing at the difference in treatment between her bout and mine.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options

Hi Taleena,
    So sorry, but

Hi Taleena,

So sorry, but welcome. You are about to find out what a strong, brave, loving, smart, kind, warrior woman you are!

Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers,

Debbie

I am daughter of bc mom too. Upon reading thru my mom's records, it is amazing at the difference in treatment between her bout and mine.

Hi Taleena. I am so sorry.
    Hi Taleena. I am so sorry. I will certainly keep you in my thoughts and prayers!
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Taleena, I hope and pray
    Taleena, I hope and pray that all will be fine for you. It is very normal to be scared. We all have been and still are. But, you will conquer this and overcome it. You are a fighter!