Tattoo Makeup

Options
j916
j916 Member Posts: 141
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone here thought about, or had permanent make up done? I actually scared myself in the mirror this weekend. I was feeling good, going around the house, listening to music, then walked by a mirror and literally did not recognize myself: pale, round face, bald head, no eye brows, no eyelashes, just a blank face. I said, "Oh my God" out loud, and saw my lips move, but honestly, i couldn't connect with the person in the mirror. It shook me up, and i don't think i'll ever forget it.
I've thought about permanent eyeliner before, but am now seriously considering it. I experimented after the mirror incident with drawing on my eye brows, and just some eyeliner, and it made a huge difference. I don't want to have my eye brows done, just the eyeliner.
I researched places in my area, and called one that i liked the pictures of her work online, and she said that she has done a lot of work on women that have gone through chemo.
Thoughts?

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I would be afraid to do the
    I would be afraid to do the face. What if they screw up or you have a reaction to the dye. I have a tattoo on my shoulder and I love it.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    All of us who've already endured chemo...
    ... that causes complete hair loss can totally identify with your "Who IS that?" moment in the mirror. I just chose to create what was missing with cosmetics, helped along greatly by a "Look Good, Feel Better" session (which are sponsored by the ACS).

You do whatever you need to do, j916. However, with one caution because chemo affects us in many ways that are not always obvious - please check with your doctor, first. Some chemo drugs can have an effect on the health of the eyes (temporary, or not).

Kind regards, Susan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    oops
  • Alexis F
    Alexis F Member Posts: 3,598
    Options

oops

I have seen some of the
    I have seen some of the tattooing on women. Some of it is good and some of it isn't. Just be sure and get someone who has done a lot and see pictures of their clients. Good luck to you!

p.s. your hair, eyebrows and eyelashes will grow back. your eylashes come back really fast.
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    tattoo
    I love tattoos,(see my expressions page) but it would scare me to put it on my eyes. I actually know a guy who has a little skull and crossbones on his eyelid, and he said they have to be very careful so close to the eye. If your eye is pierced, the ink cannot be removed, and if it hits your iris, you can be blinded. Now after that being said, it is your body to do with as you wish, and if you feel that strongly about it, check some people out. The blob you call your face is something we have all experienced, and believe it or not, the hair comes back, lashes and brows the quickest.
    So, good luck in whatever choices you make and let us know!

=^..^=

And I always glanced in the mirror with the thought: "Who the hell is that old man?"
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi J: I don't think I would
    Hi J: I don't think I would be brave enough to tattoo anything on my face. Your eyebrows and lashes will come back soon after your last treatment, so why not wait until then and see how full everything comes in. Besides, you can always use an eyeliner pencil for now if you want to give your eyes definition. Call ACS, because they have a program that has volunteers that will show you how to put on make-up to disguise the fact that you have no hair. I wore false eyelashes towards the end and they looked pretty good. Hugs, Lili
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options

Hi J: I don't think I would
    Hi J: I don't think I would be brave enough to tattoo anything on my face. Your eyebrows and lashes will come back soon after your last treatment, so why not wait until then and see how full everything comes in. Besides, you can always use an eyeliner pencil for now if you want to give your eyes definition. Call ACS, because they have a program that has volunteers that will show you how to put on make-up to disguise the fact that you have no hair. I wore false eyelashes towards the end and they looked pretty good. Hugs, Lili

False Eyelashes?
    Lili, what did they sit on? don't you glue falsies (and I do mean lashes) to your own lashes???? I know, I am completely in the dark about those things!

Photobucket

=^..^=
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    cats_toy said:

False Eyelashes?
    Lili, what did they sit on? don't you glue falsies (and I do mean lashes) to your own lashes???? I know, I am completely in the dark about those things!

Photobucket

=^..^=

cool lashes. One of the 1st
    cool lashes. One of the 1st things I did was order some false eyelashes and false eyebrows off one of the cancer wig sites. I was thinking of tatooing my new boob if it looks really different from the old one.Might as well go artistic.
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I agree that your body is
    I agree that your body is yours to do with as you think best. However, remember that the effects of chemo are temporary. I would say don't rush into it. Use the eyeliner and eyebrow pencil which can be easily removed and experimented with while you are waiting for your lashes and brows to grow back. My lashes are back, but just as short and pale as ever. My eyebrows are thinner and paler than before. I still use eyeliner and pencil, which I did not use before chemo. I would talk to the Dr. about the tattooing...chemo might react negatively with it...I do not know. I also think it is risky getting tatoos on the face, especially the eyes...be sure you research and go to someone really good.

Good luck making your decisions. seof