Doctors Warn: Avoid Genetically Modified Food

Options
mono5
mono5 Member Posts: 94
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
On May 19th, the American Academy of Environmental Medicine (AAEM) called on "Physicians to educate their patients, the medical community, and the public to avoid GM (genetically modified) foods when possible and provide educational materials concerning GM foods and health risks."[1] They called for a moratorium on GM foods, long-term independent studies, and labeling. Read full article...
http://www.seedsofdeception.com/utility/showArticle/?objectID=2992

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I think this is a good idea
    I think this is a good idea but I remain cynical as to whether docs will actually do/say anything. There is so much they don't seem to know even about nutrition unless they have made a special effort to know. The argument on the GM side is that most of our food is genetically engineered anyway. Cheese for instance required the addition of bacteria to dairy and look at those perfect tomatoes and apples. But the difference is most of those are between their own species. What they want to do and are doing is combining genes from outside species and creating something totally new. Like a gene from a fish combining with tomatoes for instance. This is really scary science to me anyway. Another thing that blows me away is forcing farmers to purchase GM seed that produces a sterile plant so you are forced to purchase from the seed company every year. And of course these plants are meant to receive the company's herbicide. They are usually called "round up ready". Traditionally farmers kept enough seed from their harvest to plant in the spring. It really scares me that we (both sides of the border) are allowing a certain industry to monopolize our food source. Like kids with a chemistry set that don't have a clue how this is going to play out years down the road.

Thanks for the article and glad you brought this up.
    jan
  • tatooedinpink
    tatooedinpink Member Posts: 95
    Options
    thanks!
    Thanks for the info, Mono5 and Jan.

Continuing to search for information and speaking up for change is part of the quest for a cure.

Thanks again,

Debbie