Questions- 4 weeks out of surgery

Options
idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Are you guys getting tired of hearing from me yet??? I know I post on here a lot but I have so many questions and you guys always give me good answers. Ok...here goes

1. I am 4 weeks out of surgery where they removed half the right colon... no bag. Is it normal at this stage to still be sore inside? If I have sat in the same position for 30+ minutes when I get up I kinda have to walk bent over and holding my stomach for a little bit. I am a large person with a big tummy.

2. Belly Button area is sensitive.

3. ok..here is yucky part but you guys said to talk about it all. I have a LOT of bm's. All are loose. I mean....uncontrollably loose. I have been trying to take walks with my husband every night but every time I get 2 blocks....omg!... I have to hurry back... didn't make it a few times. Is it hard for your colon to make your feces form since i only have half of it now? It can't absorb water or nutrients as fast???? Just a guess. Will this always be like this?

4. My diet.... I have not changed anything in my diet since before surgery. Same Pepsi, mexican, italian, chinese, meats...everything.... I could use a suggestion on a good diet book for people with colon cancer????? Can I eat popcorn? Potatoe or apple skins?

5. oh...and here's a big question..... would they ever decide that I should have a bag after all and need to put one in at this point.... or no???

okay..... that's all I can think of now. Stay cool!

Jennie

Comments

• Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Surgery
    I don't think it is unusual for you to have pain. I'm almost 2 months post surgery and although my abdomen is a lot better, it still hurts. In my case, they moved everything around and cut from above the belly bottom past the pelvic line.

I still have a lot of rectal pain since that area was all taken out and reworked. I still can not sit for more than 5-10 minutes without pain and then have to lay or stand for long periods after sitting.

As far as the BM's, I can't answer that as they gave me an ileostomy so if I have to go, the ostomy takes over. I cannot eat whatever I want because of the ostomy.

Kim
  • usakat
    usakat Member Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Ask Away!!!
    No worries with lots of posts or questions, Jennie. It's one of the reasons we connect here. As for your questions, if you have medical questions, ALWAYS talk to your doctor(s) about what you're experiencing. They need to know so they can properly treat you. Other than that, we can give you pointers based on what each of us has experienced, so here goes:

1. Takes time to heal. Some take longer than others, but in most cases, six weeks is about average. The key is to be as active as you can, but avoid overdoing it. Get yourself checked out by your surgeon if you don't noticeably improve in the next two weeks.

2. Same as 1. When do you see your surgeon next? Perhaps you might want to get checked out just to make sure all is healing well.

3. Are you taking any Imodium? If not, talk to your surgeon to see if it's okay. I took Imodium following my surgery for several months. After chemo everything sort of settled into a new normal.

4. There are lots of great nutrition books out there. In fact, you could even ask your primary care doctor for a referral to a nutritionist/dietitian to counsel you. Other than that, a good book is, Beating Cancer with Nutrition, by Patrick Quillin.

5. Barring no more cancer or other complications, probably not. My mom has had colon cancer twice,two primary cancers 11 years apart, and two separate resections and she does not have a bag. Even if at some point you do have to get a bag, it's not the worst thing to live with if you get to live.

I hope this helps...
  • PGLGreg
    PGLGreg Member Posts: 731
    Options
    Sit-ups
    For number 1, I suggest sit-ups. I use to have that problem getting upright after sitting for a while. Also, about once a year, I'd lift something the wrong way and throw my back out, so I'd have to walk stooped over for a week or so. This just doesn't happen to me anymore. I spend about 3 minutes every morning, a trivial amount of time and energy, doing a few sit-ups. When I started, a few years ago, I couldn't do even a single sit-up -- I started with a quarter of one sit-up, getting my head and shoulders at least off the ground. The key is to do a little absolutely every day, without fail, and after a few months you'll start to make some progress.

Now, if I've made a completely wrong guess about you and you're actually a world-class athlete, well, sorry. I'm just guessing that you're sort of like I was a few years ago.

Concerning popcorn, I recall reading something a few months ago saying the sharp edges on popcorn can sort of butcher up your intestines, but I don't know whether that's really true.

Greg
  • neon356
    neon356 Member Posts: 137 Member
    Options

Hi Jennie,

Hi Jennie,
    You're absolutely right about the water absorption. The colon is where a lot of water is removed, so with less colon the more the chance of loose stools. That will probably improve over time when you're more healed and more of the swelling goes away. Depending on what part of the colon is removed nutrient and vitamin absorption can be affected. Some people have to get b-12 shots but your Doc would have told you that if that was the case. Popcorn can be irritating. Those little husk thingys can irritate and get stuck in your verticuli and cause some aches. I'll eat popcorn sometimes with no problem but if I have too much it can be bothersome. As to #5, if you don't need a bag now the chances are you won't need one later. Your tumor was high enough that they didn't need to remove the rectum or those muscles so you should be home safe. Having a bag isn't that bad though once you get used to it. Sometimes it's even a distinct advantage to have one. Some of my friends think it's cool not to need to use the toilet. I jokingly call it stoma envy.

Carl
  • PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    No situps!
    Hi Jennie.
    Please do not do situps, you are not far enough out of surgery, I'm afraid you would hurt yourself, tear something. If your stomach muscles were already weak, and overweight before, you would need some milder strenghtening exercises. When I was healed enough I went to physical therapy and they taught me scar massage technique, it helps bring any gaps back together where surgery was, and keeps the scar tissue loose and from tearing and hurting. The exercises they had me do was lay on my back, with knees up, lay arms flat, raise head, while breathing out and lower slowly, also on back with knees up, slide each leg down flat one at a time while breathing out. It is important to breath out, your natural inclination is to hold your breath while doing stomach exercises, so it is important to have someone teach you the proper way to exercise your stomach after surgery. As far as the bowel issues go, it should get better, pop will gas you up, spicy foods may cause more runs, what has helped me is a daily helping of some fiber, not enough to constipate, also plenty of water.
    Good luck with the healing.
    Pam
  • shoppergal
    shoppergal Member Posts: 118
    Options
    Questions
    Hi Jennie, I also had half of my right colon removed and no bag. At four weeks it's still too early to feel back to normal. I think it's important for you to write a list of questions you might have, so that when you go to see your dr you can ask. Everyone here on this board can only tell you what they have experienced, because everyone is different

Definately do not do sit ups at this time, it is way to soon. The best thing is to walk as much as possible. You should also consider changing your diet, what you were able to eat before,you might not be able to tolerate now. First of all you are still healing inside, so that you really shouldn't eat spicy or greasy,foods. Things with sauces or gravys might also bother you. I had no problems with potatoe or apple skins, but I don't think popcorn would be a good idea just yet. Maybe it's what you've been eating that is making your bm's so loose. Try staying away from the types of foods you've been eating and try to eat alittle healthier. Whole grains are good, fresh fruits, and vegetables. I have always loved chinese food but it took a long time before I could eat it. It's a 11/2 yrs since my surgery and sometimes I still can't eat certain things because they seem to go right thru me. I also find that I go to the bathroom much more than I ever did before, I can go 4 or 5 times a day.I especially find I have to go right after a meal. Lastly, my bellybutton was sensitive for awhile.
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options

Questions
    Hi Jennie, I also had half of my right colon removed and no bag. At four weeks it's still too early to feel back to normal. I think it's important for you to write a list of questions you might have, so that when you go to see your dr you can ask. Everyone here on this board can only tell you what they have experienced, because everyone is different

Definately do not do sit ups at this time, it is way to soon. The best thing is to walk as much as possible. You should also consider changing your diet, what you were able to eat before,you might not be able to tolerate now. First of all you are still healing inside, so that you really shouldn't eat spicy or greasy,foods. Things with sauces or gravys might also bother you. I had no problems with potatoe or apple skins, but I don't think popcorn would be a good idea just yet. Maybe it's what you've been eating that is making your bm's so loose. Try staying away from the types of foods you've been eating and try to eat alittle healthier. Whole grains are good, fresh fruits, and vegetables. I have always loved chinese food but it took a long time before I could eat it. It's a 11/2 yrs since my surgery and sometimes I still can't eat certain things because they seem to go right thru me. I also find that I go to the bathroom much more than I ever did before, I can go 4 or 5 times a day.I especially find I have to go right after a meal. Lastly, my bellybutton was sensitive for awhile.

Answers
    Jennie,
    1) As far as having pain when you get up and walk that so normal...It takes aong time to get over..Just take it easy and go slow...Most important rest when you can and don't push yourself..Take naps when you can it does make you feel better physically and mentally...
    2) Your belly button will be sesitive for alitte while..Just make sure to keep it clean so you don't get an infection...
    3) As far as loose bms and frequent it is all part of the deal..I had to wear maxie pads for awhile when I went far from the bathroom..It was a life saver at times...Again that is normal and will go back to normal after awhile...
    4) Now you will find that certain foods will go through you alot faster than others..Also you will find that you are very gassy.. I had surgery 9 monthes ago and some foods give me terrible gas and gas pains...I have alot of gas pains...Foods that get me are greasey foods,fried foods, forget spicy foods...Certain veg. give me problems..Right now its all trail and error so take it easy and keep track of what gives you problems...
    5) I don't know if they will give you a bag or not..You will have ask your Doc. that....

Don't be afraid to ask as many questions as you need to..Remember knowledge is power..You must be your own advacate so ask away!!! We have all been there and done that some way or another so we know how you feel...Good luck JULIE