Canada to the rescue?

Options
snommintj
snommintj Member Posts: 601
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Would any of you canadians be willing to ship some DCA from your house to mine if I bought it and had it delivered to your house. I will of course reimburse you for your shipping cost and your time. Thanks

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    DCA
    Hi John,

I'm sure there are more than a few of us who are hesitant to respond to your request. Basically, the reason being, although it sounds like you may have a contact that is willing to deliver DCA within Canada, it still is against the law (both Canadian and American) to send it across the border... whether one were to drive it across themselves or use the Canadian/US postal service. Heck, it's amazing the things that we can buy over the counter without a prescription here in Canada, but can not bring into the States (IE: Cough medicine with Codiene, Tylenol #1 with codiene, 222's, etc) to hand out to our American buddies.

But I digress... I have been known to bring the Tylenol's or the Cough medicine for friends, but only when I am traveling with it. I would never mail it across the border because, silly as the law may be, it is the law and I am not about to do something that could put a stop to my being able to enter the USA.

So, the same rule applies for DCA. I don't doubt your willingness to try this chemical. I know we've disagreed on it in a much earlier discussion (6 months or longer ago). I am definitely intrigued and interested in the ongoing work with this, but am a little concerned that no matter how much I Google and research, the newest information I can get on it is around 2007. I can't find any current news from the University of Alberta.

The following link is, I feel, a very balanced report... both for and against using DCA by self-medicating. It appears that in Canada, the US and the UK, doctors can get a license to prescribe DCA, but they must apply for it (through the FDA in the States, College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada). So if this is true, I would like to know why more physicians haven't applied for it? They didn't answer that question in the article, but I can only guess that it has not been approved for human use yet.

Here is the article I'm referring to... and I'm sure everyone here on this board will find it an interesting read, I certainly did:

Cancer Therapy: When all else fails

The other part that concerns me is, if more and more people do self-medicate with DCA, it really will hurt the possibility of getting an official clinical trial completed.. that is explained in the article.

I can't presume to speak on behalf of any/all Canadians on this forum, and don't pretend to... but I think you will find a lot are hesitant to even respond to the request, unless done in PM or email.

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • snommintj
    Options

DCA
    Hi John,

I'm sure there are more than a few of us who are hesitant to respond to your request. Basically, the reason being, although it sounds like you may have a contact that is willing to deliver DCA within Canada, it still is against the law (both Canadian and American) to send it across the border... whether one were to drive it across themselves or use the Canadian/US postal service. Heck, it's amazing the things that we can buy over the counter without a prescription here in Canada, but can not bring into the States (IE: Cough medicine with Codiene, Tylenol #1 with codiene, 222's, etc) to hand out to our American buddies.

But I digress... I have been known to bring the Tylenol's or the Cough medicine for friends, but only when I am traveling with it. I would never mail it across the border because, silly as the law may be, it is the law and I am not about to do something that could put a stop to my being able to enter the USA.

So, the same rule applies for DCA. I don't doubt your willingness to try this chemical. I know we've disagreed on it in a much earlier discussion (6 months or longer ago). I am definitely intrigued and interested in the ongoing work with this, but am a little concerned that no matter how much I Google and research, the newest information I can get on it is around 2007. I can't find any current news from the University of Alberta.

The following link is, I feel, a very balanced report... both for and against using DCA by self-medicating. It appears that in Canada, the US and the UK, doctors can get a license to prescribe DCA, but they must apply for it (through the FDA in the States, College of Physicians and Surgeons in Canada). So if this is true, I would like to know why more physicians haven't applied for it? They didn't answer that question in the article, but I can only guess that it has not been approved for human use yet.

Here is the article I'm referring to... and I'm sure everyone here on this board will find it an interesting read, I certainly did:

Cancer Therapy: When all else fails

The other part that concerns me is, if more and more people do self-medicate with DCA, it really will hurt the possibility of getting an official clinical trial completed.. that is explained in the article.

I can't presume to speak on behalf of any/all Canadians on this forum, and don't pretend to... but I think you will find a lot are hesitant to even respond to the request, unless done in PM or email.

Huggggggs,

Cheryl

Thanks
    Someone pm'd me right after I posted it. I had some shipped there. I've been synthesizing DCA at my house but have been reluctant to try it since I really don't have the necessary diagnostic equipment to feel 100%. So I want to buy some and do a comparative analysis on what I buy and what I make. I appreciate your concern. Being a three primary cancer patient I don't qualify for any clinical trials. I am not planning on using it to kill my present cancer but I would like to try it to prevent recurrence.
  • CherylHutch
    Options
    snommintj said:

Thanks
    Someone pm'd me right after I posted it. I had some shipped there. I've been synthesizing DCA at my house but have been reluctant to try it since I really don't have the necessary diagnostic equipment to feel 100%. So I want to buy some and do a comparative analysis on what I buy and what I make. I appreciate your concern. Being a three primary cancer patient I don't qualify for any clinical trials. I am not planning on using it to kill my present cancer but I would like to try it to prevent recurrence.

Your Welcome
    Hey John... I'm not sure I understand "I've been synthesizing DCA..." but am I in the right ballpark when you say you've been doing something to buffer the chemical and make it consumable by humans? And when you say you don't have the right diagnostic equipment to feel 100% safe with it, what kind of equipment would be able to do this?

Hehe... no, I'm not about to set up a lab myself. Yikes! If I even thought of doing that, someone would have to come and lock me away... Cheryl as a mad scientist, not even knowing how to pronounce some of the names of the chemical elements is not someone you'd want to have as your local scientist . BUT, I am very interested in more current news about DCA and where they are at with the clinical studies, what more has the university found and when do they expect to have a suitable safe product.

I haven't been posting much lately and have been away from the board so have a lot of catching up to do. When I left, you had just found the lump under your arm and were going to have it removed on Friday and then pathology would find out for sure what it was. Have you got the results yet? What did they find and how are you feeling after that surgical removal?

Cheryl
  • snommintj
    Options

Your Welcome
    Hey John... I'm not sure I understand "I've been synthesizing DCA..." but am I in the right ballpark when you say you've been doing something to buffer the chemical and make it consumable by humans? And when you say you don't have the right diagnostic equipment to feel 100% safe with it, what kind of equipment would be able to do this?

Hehe... no, I'm not about to set up a lab myself. Yikes! If I even thought of doing that, someone would have to come and lock me away... Cheryl as a mad scientist, not even knowing how to pronounce some of the names of the chemical elements is not someone you'd want to have as your local scientist . BUT, I am very interested in more current news about DCA and where they are at with the clinical studies, what more has the university found and when do they expect to have a suitable safe product.

I haven't been posting much lately and have been away from the board so have a lot of catching up to do. When I left, you had just found the lump under your arm and were going to have it removed on Friday and then pathology would find out for sure what it was. Have you got the results yet? What did they find and how are you feeling after that surgical removal?

Cheryl

DCA
    It's fairly simple to make. I start by fractally distilling some vinegar. I could buy some glacial acetic acid but I have a fractal distillation rig so I just started with white vinegar. Acetic acid absorbs water from the air so this needs to be done in a sealed environment. I then chlorinate the glacial acetic acid by bubbling hydrochloric acid through it. This is where things get a bit tricky. After the HCl has bubbled through you have TCA trichloroacetic acid. This has to then be reduced to dichloacetic acid. I've been doing this with a battery charger and some copper spoons. There is a little more to it but what I'm left with is dichloracetic acid. I'm convinced I have dichloroacetic acid but what I need to find out is the dosage. I haven't created the salt version of DCA which is the version you buy. I'm getting some to dilute in water so that I can compare the two solutions in water. I would like to avoid the salting process since that will add many more steps and an additional drying process.
    DCA is a glycolysis inhibitor. Since cancer cells use glycolysis to produce energy, I think it will be beneficial. Cancer cells are very inefficient eaters. I think only a small interruption in their feeding cycle should have an effect on their life cycle. I'm strongly considering maintaining a low normal glucose level and taking DCA in unison to severely disrupt the cancer feeding cycle. I have surgery this friday and on june 30th. After that, I would like to spend at least 30 days self treating myself.
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    snommintj said:

DCA
    It's fairly simple to make. I start by fractally distilling some vinegar. I could buy some glacial acetic acid but I have a fractal distillation rig so I just started with white vinegar. Acetic acid absorbs water from the air so this needs to be done in a sealed environment. I then chlorinate the glacial acetic acid by bubbling hydrochloric acid through it. This is where things get a bit tricky. After the HCl has bubbled through you have TCA trichloroacetic acid. This has to then be reduced to dichloacetic acid. I've been doing this with a battery charger and some copper spoons. There is a little more to it but what I'm left with is dichloracetic acid. I'm convinced I have dichloroacetic acid but what I need to find out is the dosage. I haven't created the salt version of DCA which is the version you buy. I'm getting some to dilute in water so that I can compare the two solutions in water. I would like to avoid the salting process since that will add many more steps and an additional drying process.
    DCA is a glycolysis inhibitor. Since cancer cells use glycolysis to produce energy, I think it will be beneficial. Cancer cells are very inefficient eaters. I think only a small interruption in their feeding cycle should have an effect on their life cycle. I'm strongly considering maintaining a low normal glucose level and taking DCA in unison to severely disrupt the cancer feeding cycle. I have surgery this friday and on june 30th. After that, I would like to spend at least 30 days self treating myself.

Depression
    This would certainly make ME depressed if my spouse was playing mad scientist in the house.
    Has that ever crossed your mind?
    It crossed mine, just a thought
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    snommintj said:

DCA

DCA
    John,

Ummm....yeah...simple. Got it. I'll get right on that.... You make me feel so stupid! LOL I'm not the 'mad scientist' type I guess. Now I need to go sit in the hot tub for several hours..

Good Luck,

Kimby
  • CherylHutch
    Options
    snommintj said:

DCA

DCA
    Hahahaha... I'm staring at your post and have read it over 3 or 4 times and I just realized this is the first time in a long time where I'm reading a post in English and I don't understand a thing you said!! LOL!! I think I'm going to have to jump in the hot tub with Kimby and try to unscramble my brain ;)

Phil, you may be onto something there! Dr. John may be terrifying his wife with all his experiments and she's afraid he's going to start taking the stuff that is bubbling down in the basement ;)

I'm not exactly sure how you are going to compare the two solutions in water, other than to compare colour/reaction to water. But if they both react the same way will that be grounds to consider it safe?

Where did you learn all of this?? I don't mean the basics... I know you can probably find that on the internet, but the actual understanding of what you said in your post? Did you major in chemistry, or was your job to do with chemicals or chemical analysis? I'm intrigued!!

Cheryl
  • snommintj
    Options

DCA
    Hahahaha... I'm staring at your post and have read it over 3 or 4 times and I just realized this is the first time in a long time where I'm reading a post in English and I don't understand a thing you said!! LOL!! I think I'm going to have to jump in the hot tub with Kimby and try to unscramble my brain ;)

Phil, you may be onto something there! Dr. John may be terrifying his wife with all his experiments and she's afraid he's going to start taking the stuff that is bubbling down in the basement ;)

I'm not exactly sure how you are going to compare the two solutions in water, other than to compare colour/reaction to water. But if they both react the same way will that be grounds to consider it safe?

Where did you learn all of this?? I don't mean the basics... I know you can probably find that on the internet, but the actual understanding of what you said in your post? Did you major in chemistry, or was your job to do with chemicals or chemical analysis? I'm intrigued!!

Cheryl

Don't be worried
    I've been making my DCA in one of my buildings. I have a very good chemistry workshop where I tinker with materials and compounds for all sorts of things. My wife isn't interested in this particular hobby and doesn't have any knowledge of what I make or plan to make.
    Yes, I have a degree in chemistry from the United States Naval Academy. I also have a Masters in molecular dynamics. I also have an advanced degree in Nuclear, Biological, and Chemical weaponry. I was an industrial chemist for a few years before starting my own company. I have some old but very accurate diagnostic equipment including a gas chromatograph and mass spectrometer. This reaction from acetic acid to dichloroacetic acid is as rudimentary as chemistry gets. I do appreciate everyone concern though. I promise to be very careful.