Post Lumpectomy fluid leak from incision

Options
ozecazza
ozecazza Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
HI - I was diagnosed with insitu ductal carcinoma and just had surgery on May 15th.
They also removed 3 lymph nodes ... all clear, thank goodness. Clear margins with cancer too.
However, I've developed a big lump under my arm where the lymph nodes were removed. I realize this is fluid build up, however, it started leaking clear fluid a couple of nights ago. Leaking only for one night from the lymph node incision, and not much fluid, so I didn't worry.
However, for the next two days, I had a LOT of fluid leak from my lumpectomy incision. Also, it was mixed with blood. I didn't worry too much, as the PA for my surgeon told me last week she had injected some fluid into my breast after sugery, and, today it hasn't leaked at all.
But, I'm wondering if anyone knows if I should go to Urgent Care regarding this?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comments

• Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Yes, go to urgent care and
    Yes, go to urgent care and call your doctor. Good luck!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hey ThereI had the same
    Hey There
    I had the same thing. I had a huge hematoma and after they took the drain out it started coming out the incision in the lumpectomy. And I mean gushing! After calling my surgeon, I stuffed a towel in a sports bra and went to the ER. But it was all just the old blood from the hematoma trying to drain and they just squeezed it out and then I kept squeezing it out til it healed up. Is it all dark blood? If it is it's just hematoma. But if it's bright red fresh looking blood then that's a cause for concern. Either way call your surgeon and get the to take a look.
    Good luck
    Dee
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I would definitely call the
    I would definitely call the Dr. and go to urgent care, or somewhere for a healthcare professional to look at it. If it needs to be drained, they can do it, and they can tell you how to take care of it yourself till you can see your Dr. If nothing else you can get peace of mind.

Take care of yourself, seof.
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    seof said:

I would definitely call the
    I would definitely call the Dr. and go to urgent care, or somewhere for a healthcare professional to look at it. If it needs to be drained, they can do it, and they can tell you how to take care of it yourself till you can see your Dr. If nothing else you can get peace of mind.

Take care of yourself, seof.

Did you go? Are you OK?
    Dearest Ozzecazza,

Did you go get yourself taken care of? Are you doing all right?

Gentle hugs,
    Debi