new dx

Options
merhornh
merhornh Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hello

My daughter-in-laws mom just went through a lumpectomy, they took three lymph nodes and all three had cancer cells in them, now they say she has stage II, don't know what type. I guess the thing that bothers me they are waiting a month, let her get over first surgery before doing another resection of ax lymph nodes.
Was just wondering what you all have experienced, to me it seems like a month is a long time to wait, but I really don't know what is the norm.
Thanks so much
Janet

Comments

• dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Hi Janet
    I dont know a lot ,

Hi Janet
    I dont know a lot , but it sounds like her experience was similar to mine. I had a lumpectomy April 1st. They found some cancer in the breast tissue and in one lymph node so a month later May 1st, I went back for a mastectomy. I will start chemo June 3rd. So yeah, I think at least a month between surgeries is the norm. Is she just having more lymph nodes checked?
    My Onc. says a month isn't going to make a difference as far as the cancer goes.
    But there are a lot of very knowledgeable ladies on this site and I'm sure they'll have some info for you. Best of luck to her and get her on this site. It will be very helpful.
    Dee
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Janet
    I am not really sure, but I know when i had my mastectomy the surgeon said he would be staining the lymph-nodes to detect ca in them and would keep taking them until there were no more involved , he took 23 nodes and 6 were positive. I didn't have a lumpectomy first so I suppose she will need to heal from this before another surgery.
    God Bless,
    Jackie
  • merhornh
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hi Janet
    I dont know a lot ,

Hi Janet
    I dont know a lot , but it sounds like her experience was similar to mine. I had a lumpectomy April 1st. They found some cancer in the breast tissue and in one lymph node so a month later May 1st, I went back for a mastectomy. I will start chemo June 3rd. So yeah, I think at least a month between surgeries is the norm. Is she just having more lymph nodes checked?
    My Onc. says a month isn't going to make a difference as far as the cancer goes.
    But there are a lot of very knowledgeable ladies on this site and I'm sure they'll have some info for you. Best of luck to her and get her on this site. It will be very helpful.
    Dee

new dx
    thank you for the quick responses. I guess a month just seems like such a long time. She is going back to the surgeon this week and see what the game plan will be
    thanks janet
  • merhornh
    Options
    rjjj said:

Janet
    I am not really sure, but I know when i had my mastectomy the surgeon said he would be staining the lymph-nodes to detect ca in them and would keep taking them until there were no more involved , he took 23 nodes and 6 were positive. I didn't have a lumpectomy first so I suppose she will need to heal from this before another surgery.
    God Bless,
    Jackie

thank you for replying so
    thank you for replying so quickly
    hopefully this week she will find out exactly what kind it is and what he (surgeon) is planning.
    thanks again janet
  • deborahcc
    deborahcc Member Posts: 4
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

Hi Janet
    I dont know a lot ,

Hi Janet
    Dee

Newly diagnosed
    Hi Dee,
    I just registered on this site and read your note about your surgery and starting chemo. I am newly diagnosed with infiltrating DCIS. I meet with the surgeon next Friday 29th. I am hoping to have a lumpectomy and hopefully no lymph node involvement. I am trying to be optimistic. Of course I was optimistic about my biopsy being benign rather tham malignant too. Just thought I would write to you to ask if there is anything you think I should know? Or anything at all you could share.

Debbie
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    merhornh said:

thank you for replying so
    thank you for replying so quickly
    hopefully this week she will find out exactly what kind it is and what he (surgeon) is planning.
    thanks again janet

Hi
    My initial diagnosis was March 13th, and I had to wait until May 6th for surgery (bilateral mastectomy w/reconstruction).

I was told the waiting time would not make a difference in the cancer type/stage. It DID seem like a very long time, but the initial diagnosis remained the same as the final pathology report, so the doctors were right (at least in my case, although when I checked here on this board way back when in March, I was reassured by many here that that sort of a wait was pretty standard).

My unsolicited advice: keep her busy, try not to worry, and spend a lot of time here getting questions and concerns answered.

On this site you'll find there are many, many warrior women's shoulders to lean on, and we ALL care!

Take care,
    Debi
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, Janet/merhornh...
    I'm sorry about your daughter-in-law's mother. Please always bear in mind that every diagnosis is unique, as individual as the patient herself.

I had lumpectomy surgery, and 7 of 15 lymph nodes were positive for cancer. Chemotherapy began about a month after surgery. If at all possible and in general, it's better for the patient/body to have some time to heal physically before whatever comes next. I was anxious, too, about what seemed - at least to me, back then - to be a "delay"... However, my doctor assured me that when the cancer is determined to be really aggressive and fast-moving - the next step can be ordered to take place almost immediately. I share this to hopefully ease at least a part of your concern. We here all understand how the "waiting" periods can often times be excruciating.

Honestly, I don't believe there is a "norm" for breast cancer. We often refer to it as a "roller coast ride"...

Best wishes to you and your family.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    deborahcc said:

Newly diagnosed
    Hi Dee,
    I just registered on this site and read your note about your surgery and starting chemo. I am newly diagnosed with infiltrating DCIS. I meet with the surgeon next Friday 29th. I am hoping to have a lumpectomy and hopefully no lymph node involvement. I am trying to be optimistic. Of course I was optimistic about my biopsy being benign rather tham malignant too. Just thought I would write to you to ask if there is anything you think I should know? Or anything at all you could share.

Debbie

Warm welcome, Debbie/deborahcc...
    ... though sorry for the reason you're here. I can't add too much to what's already been posted... Other than to assure you that we're all here to help & share, support & encourage. No questions nor topics are off limits.

Best of luck to you with that all important appointment on the 29th with your surgeon. The final pathology results following surgery will determine whatever may be next regarding treatment(s). I'll be hoping for the best possible outcome. Remaining optimistic is a really good start.

Kind regards, Susan
  • deborahcc
    Options
    bfbear said:

Hi
    My initial diagnosis was March 13th, and I had to wait until May 6th for surgery (bilateral mastectomy w/reconstruction).

I was told the waiting time would not make a difference in the cancer type/stage. It DID seem like a very long time, but the initial diagnosis remained the same as the final pathology report, so the doctors were right (at least in my case, although when I checked here on this board way back when in March, I was reassured by many here that that sort of a wait was pretty standard).

My unsolicited advice: keep her busy, try not to worry, and spend a lot of time here getting questions and concerns answered.

On this site you'll find there are many, many warrior women's shoulders to lean on, and we ALL care!

Take care,
    Debi

Newly diagnosed
    Hello Debi,
    I just read your note and wanted to touch basis with you. I am newly diagnosed with breat cancer as of two weeks ago. I will see the surgeon on Friday 05/29. I hope to have a more clear path of care and treatment after surgery. Can you tell me a little about your surgery and reconstruction?

Most appreciative,
    Debbie
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    deborahcc said:

Newly diagnosed
    Hello Debi,
    I just read your note and wanted to touch basis with you. I am newly diagnosed with breat cancer as of two weeks ago. I will see the surgeon on Friday 05/29. I hope to have a more clear path of care and treatment after surgery. Can you tell me a little about your surgery and reconstruction?

Most appreciative,
    Debbie

Hi Debbie...
    Welcome, although I'm sorry for your dx.

Your surgeon will have some idea about what he/she may find, but won't really have all of the answers until after surgery.

Once your surgery is completed, your doctor will get a final path report, which will pretty much determine for your onc, any other treatments you may have.

Hugs,
    CR
  • deborahcc
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Hi Debbie...
    Welcome, although I'm sorry for your dx.

Your surgeon will have some idea about what he/she may find, but won't really have all of the answers until after surgery.

Once your surgery is completed, your doctor will get a final path report, which will pretty much determine for your onc, any other treatments you may have.

Hugs,
    CR

Dear CR,
    Thank you for your

Dear CR,
    Thank you for your response. I read your profile and was impressed with your strong will, faith and courage. I too am trying to be all of those. I am just beginning my journey and look to those who can share their wisdom and experiences with me.
    Thank you for yours.
    Hugs back to you,
    Debbie
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    deborahcc said:

Dear CR,
    Thank you for your

Dear CR,
    Thank you for your response. I read your profile and was impressed with your strong will, faith and courage. I too am trying to be all of those. I am just beginning my journey and look to those who can share their wisdom and experiences with me.
    Thank you for yours.
    Hugs back to you,
    Debbie

Debbie.....
    You are so recently into your journey, and you will have so many emotional ups and downs....and that's normal. I think that my brain didn't move past terror until after my surgery.

You will probably have many questions and concerns along the way. I know that I did. But all of the lovely people here helped me. And they will help you too.

Always feel welcome to come here and post....whether it's your fears, your questions, your accomplishments in the fight, to vent when you're upset, and also feel free to laugh here when you can!

We have many different types of bc here, but we are all kind of joined at the hip! I know that you will find solace here in the fact that you are not alone!

Hugs,
    CR
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    deborahcc said:

Newly diagnosed
    Hi Dee,

Debbie

Hey Debbie Welcome to our
    Hey Debbie Welcome to our very exclusive club. You will find lots of helpful friends here.
    It's good that you might be able to go for a lumpectomy, that suggests that the tumor is small. The surgery itself is not usually too hard on you. The worse part is dealing with the darn drain they put in.
    The hardest part will be waiting for the results of the lymph node surgery.Best of luck and keep us notified as to the dx.And keep in mind that lymph node involvement isn't as scary a thing as it used to be. There are women on here who had 23 positive nodes still doing well 6
    years, 10 years later...the meds are good these days and getting better all the time!
    Dee
  • merhornh
    Options
    Thanks to all of you for the
    Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I will give susie this web site address and I hope she will post, I know she will receive alot of support and good information from all of you.
    God bless and keep you in good health.
    Janet
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    deborahcc said:

Newly diagnosed
    Hello Debi,

Most appreciative,
    Debbie

Private message
    Hi Debbie,

I just sent you a private message.
    Let me know if you have problems picking it up.

Hang in there,
    Debi
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    merhornh said:

Thanks to all of you for the
    Thanks to all of you for the quick responses. I will give susie this web site address and I hope she will post, I know she will receive alot of support and good information from all of you.
    God bless and keep you in good health.
    Janet

I was dx in April, and still
    I was dx in April, and still waiting. It just takes time to complete all the tests and stuff they have you do. Don't worry it all comes together in due time.