Herceptin

Options
vendd
vendd Member Posts: 1
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I am new at this, so I am looking for someone who has taken this drug. I recently was diagnosed with breast cancer. It is all so new to me that I am really anxious to see if anyone else has had to go through this like me So could someone please help me in understanding this drug

Comments

• CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Hello vendd........
    And welcome. Although I'm sorry that you have to deal with a cancer dx.

I am on Herceptin. I had mastectomy, 4 rounds of A/C chemo and then 4 rounds of Abraxane/Herceptin. Now I am on Herceptin alone, every three weeks until late Fall. (a year total)

I also had 28 rads.

Have you had surgery?

There are others on this board who are also on Herceptin. I'm sure that they can explain better than I, how the drug works. I'm certain that they will post also.

CR
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Warm welcome, vendd...
    ... though sorry for the reason. I have no direct experience with Herceptin, my own treatment was different. However, as CR has already stated - I'm sure others will step forward, also.

We're all here to help & share, support & encourage each other. You've joined the perfect group. Please feel free to visit as often as you'd like, whenever you need... No topics are off-limits. We do not judge nor criticize. Although the journey unites us all, the road is different for each of us.

Best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Hi Vendid
    25% of breast cancers are HER-2 POS. Meaning the protien growth is agressive and the cells multiply and divide more rapidly. Herceptin is the drug used to block or try to lock to the receptor site, and hopefully stop these cancer cells from spreading. Herceptin can be given with chemo therapy and then continued after the chemo is done, usually a year total. It is different than normal chemo drugs in that it only targets cancer cells and leaves your good ones alone..so your hair will grow back, and there will be few if any side effects.

Have you been diagnosed with Her-2 pos.? Let us know more info on your diagnosis and we will be here for you. So sorry you have to be here but since you do, you will find much comfort and support here with all of our amazing sisters.
    God Bless,
    Jackie
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hi Vendid
    25% of breast cancers are HER-2 POS. Meaning the protien growth is agressive and the cells multiply and divide more rapidly. Herceptin is the drug used to block or try to lock to the receptor site, and hopefully stop these cancer cells from spreading. Herceptin can be given with chemo therapy and then continued after the chemo is done, usually a year total. It is different than normal chemo drugs in that it only targets cancer cells and leaves your good ones alone..so your hair will grow back, and there will be few if any side effects.

Have you been diagnosed with Her-2 pos.? Let us know more info on your diagnosis and we will be here for you. So sorry you have to be here but since you do, you will find much comfort and support here with all of our amazing sisters.
    God Bless,
    Jackie

Hello Vendd
    I was diagnosed with HER2+ and have received 4 treatments of A/C(Adrimycin w/Cytoxin)(spelling???) and am now having 12 treatments of Taxol w/Herceptin (9 more to go) and then will be on Herceptin every 3 weeks for one year(that will end August 2010).

I was diagnosed 12/8/08 and had double mastectomy w/reconstruction(tissue expanders) 2/2/09.
    You need to know if your path report states you are HER2+ because if you are not HER2+ then Herceptin is not the drug for you.

Jackie-explained the HER2+ gene perfect.

Welcome to this group of people who are here for you.

Hugs,
    Margo
  • seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    Herceptin
    You can go to chemocare.com to look up any drug. you can find out the names it is known by, the uses and side effects. Also, write down any questions you have and ask your doctor. The chemo nurses where you recieve your treatments are also very good sources of information. Give them a call. I was on Herceptin and had very little in the way of side effects.

I wish you well, seof.
  • florist
    florist Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Hi, and welcome.
    I am also

Hi, and welcome.
    I am also on herceptin and will be taking it every 3 weeks until the end of the year.
    From my experience this drug is given in the beginning along with chemotherapy. I have had no side effects.