Ileostomy and Passing Fecal Matter

Options
Annabelle41415
Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
I was surprised this morning as I woke up with so much gas - I mean normal gas where it usually comes from. I've had this before so it didn't take me totally off guard but it was almost like normal gas then I went to the bathroom and passed some fecal matter. Now that was a first for me. I have passed mucus and blood but not fecal matter. It just looked like diarehhea. It wasn't a normal amount of a BM, but it felt like I had to go have a BM and I did. Thing is I was emptying my pouch at the same time that this happened so some of it must have missed my ileostomy and bypassed into the colon somehow. One of my surgeon's several weeks after surgery told me don't be alarmed if I have a BM because of how they did it. Something about a loop ileostomy (and mine is temporary), but I didn't really understand what she was talking about and she even drew a picture of how they did it.

I then felt like I had to go again, and I did a little. Obviously, my muscles are working and not just releasing it into my underwear, but shocked I was. Just feel like my rectum has pressure up there now and this is not a new feeling. I went into the surgeon about this a week or so ago and he said that feeling is swelling so I'm wondering if what happened this morning just irritated inside, but it doesn't hurt.

I know that this is kind of a gross post, but has anyone ever had this happen to them? I don't think it has anything to do with just starting chemo.

Hugs!

Kim

Comments

• PamPam2
    PamPam2 Member Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    Yes
    When I had my colonlscopy, I still had urge to go, and did pass matter sometimes, the doctor said even with full colonoscopy, your colon still makes mucus and you will pass this. It might be a good thing that your intestines and muscles keep in practice, as you are going to get a reversal, then you might be more regular when it is reversed. Just in case keep talking to your doctor about it, make sure they know you don't quite understand and make them expain it till you do. Wishing you the best with your chemo treatments.
    Pam
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    PamPam2 said:

Yes
    When I had my colonlscopy, I still had urge to go, and did pass matter sometimes, the doctor said even with full colonoscopy, your colon still makes mucus and you will pass this. It might be a good thing that your intestines and muscles keep in practice, as you are going to get a reversal, then you might be more regular when it is reversed. Just in case keep talking to your doctor about it, make sure they know you don't quite understand and make them expain it till you do. Wishing you the best with your chemo treatments.
    Pam

kim
    i had my reversal in feb,and still having problems with that muscle down there.especially at night. i have to wear a pad because it seems when i relax to go to sleep thats when my bowels want to move, i just havent found out what works for me,good luck to you Godbless....johnnybegood
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    ileostomy
    I to passed some matter when I had my bag. I thought something was wrong but they assured me that this is normal. I wore a pad at all times. The urgency and pressure were uncomfortable, pain meds helped with this. Believe me this was nothing compared to the discomfort that I have from my reversal. It's been 19 months. I am still thinking of having the bag back on. If I would've known that it would be like this I would have never have my reversal.
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    tiny one said:

ileostomy
    I to passed some matter when I had my bag. I thought something was wrong but they assured me that this is normal. I wore a pad at all times. The urgency and pressure were uncomfortable, pain meds helped with this. Believe me this was nothing compared to the discomfort that I have from my reversal. It's been 19 months. I am still thinking of having the bag back on. If I would've known that it would be like this I would have never have my reversal.

Sorry
    Sorry you are going through so much distress. I've heard of both success and nonsuccess stories when it comes to reversals. I did ask my surgeon if it didn't work, would he perform a coloscopy on me (instead of ileostomy) and he said yes. I just wanted to make sure I had that option open. I'm hoping all goes well for me though.

Did you ask your surgeon what could help you. I would think that they could do something after all this time. I'm hoping you get some relief from your situation.

Kim
  • tiny one
    tiny one Member Posts: 465 Member
    Options

Sorry
    Sorry you are going through so much distress. I've heard of both success and nonsuccess stories when it comes to reversals. I did ask my surgeon if it didn't work, would he perform a coloscopy on me (instead of ileostomy) and he said yes. I just wanted to make sure I had that option open. I'm hoping all goes well for me though.

Did you ask your surgeon what could help you. I would think that they could do something after all this time. I'm hoping you get some relief from your situation.

Kim

Surgeon
    My surgeon is a good one but he hasn't been helpful at all in helping me with my issues of pain, frequency, depression. My oncologist is the one that has helped the most and who prescribed lomotil. That medication was a Godsend. My surgeon said he could try and take out the area damaged from radiation and I would again have a temporary bag or put the bag back on permanently. I'm going to maybe seek a second opinion and see if there's anything else that can be done. This is a decision that I'll have to live with the rest of my life. I'm only 50.