Port placement underside of upper arm

Options
califsue
califsue Member Posts: 80
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Has anyone had their port placed on the underside of your upper arm? That is where my oncologist said that they are going to insert it.
If so, does it work as well as a port in the chest?

Thanks,
Susan

Comments

• KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    Options
    I didn't, but someone will chime in who has here....
    It sounds GREAT!!!! My port was under my collarbone, jutting out, so I could not wear anything 'plunging'. Not that it mattered to me, but the person I met would just gawk at it, then I felt moved to explain, then I got the guarded face/answer of 'I'm so sorry'....you probably know the drill. I HATED the way that made me feel, so I just took care to wear necklines that covered my port...

I would image you would need to be a bit more careful about lifting, but your doctor could explain about the do's and don'ts, I would imagine...

Hugs, Kathi
  • standbyme
    standbyme Member Posts: 41
    Options
    port in arm
    My husband has his port in upper arm in the bicep....he's had 16 treatments, works fine. where we live (SK, Canada) all ports are in the arm.
  • Shayenne
    Shayenne Member Posts: 2,342
    Options
    standbyme said:

port in arm
    My husband has his port in upper arm in the bicep....he's had 16 treatments, works fine. where we live (SK, Canada) all ports are in the arm.

My....
    ....port was installed like right above my right breast, with a vein-like tube that looks like it's coming out of my neck. I don't think I ever saw a port in an arm, I wish they would have put mine there, that sounds pretty neat, but I thought it had to be close to the heart.
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Underside arm port
    I had mine in my chest, but I noticed that most of the breast cancer ladies in my chemo room had the arm port. They seem to work just as well, if not better than the chest ports. I think the surgeon has a lot to do with where the port is placed.

Kirsten
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Susan
    I've had 2 chest ports and now an arm port, inserted on the underside of my left upper arm. They really like the right side but I have acclusion due to the 2 chest ports. My arm port works great, but it isn't a power port so it's not MRI or CT compatable. That just means that for scans I get an IV because they can't use my port to inject the dye. :(

I find it easy to keep inconspicuous (even short sleeves usually cover it), easy to access, and I don't have that "turn your head, hold your breath, stand on your head" stuff for a good blood return like I did with the chest port. They put my arm on a pillow, access, blood return, done. Works every time.

HTH,

Kimby
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Dual Port
    In Chest, Hepatic Pump and a wrenched back. Works great but have to get dye in arm too.

port
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Dual Port
    In Chest, Hepatic Pump and a wrenched back. Works great but have to get dye in arm too.

port

wow
    Wow Phil,
    What a picture. Thanks for sharing. It helps me to see what ****'s port looks like.
  • Kathleen808
    Kathleen808 Member Posts: 2,342 Member
    Options
    port in chest
    My husband's port is in his chest, below the collar bone on his left side. It also has a tube running up to his neck. He is in a bathing suit all the time as we live in Hawaii. He does get some stares but the only person who ever said anything to him was a 5 year old little girl at the beach. She walked right up to him with big eyes and said, "What is that?" Kids just put it all right out there.
    Everyone is our neighborhood is use to his port now because he is outside running and shirtless all the time. I don't think he even thinks about it anymore.
    Best to you.
    Aloha,
    Kathleen