So I worked up my courage........

Options
CR1954
CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I don't mind wearing my beautiful scarves over my verrrrrrry short hair. Even the occasional wig. But after wearing a scarf for any length of time, it will start to make my head hurt and also bothers my ears.

My daughter has said to me..."Mom, if you wear a scarf, people will see you and think....she has had chemo. If you DON'T wear a scarf, people will look at you and think....she has had chemo. So you may as well leave the scarf at home and be comfortable!"

So today, for the first time, I gathered my courage and went shopping with my husband.....with my bare head. I really am not a vain person, I just don't like to stand out in a crowd and have people looking at me. So it was with a lump in my throat that I got out of the car and went into stores, believe me!

Before I left home, I put on make-up....even eye make-up, which I haven't worn in a year. Blush, lipstick, and then a lovely pair of dangly earrings. I made myself as girly looking as I could.

Guess what! I walked with head held high, instead of looking down as I usually do, watching people's expressions as I met them. Nobody even gave me a second look!! It was wonderful! And very liberating, I might add!

I just really feel like I have taken another huge step in getting back to "being me!"

Just wanted to share.........

CR

Comments

• Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    CR1954 Thank you for your
    CR1954 Thank you for your post. I am not sure yet if this day will come for me in my near future. I am glad you were able to do this. I wonder if I will be able to go bare if my day comes.
  • CR1954
    Options
    Kat11 said:

CR1954 Thank you for your
    CR1954 Thank you for your post. I am not sure yet if this day will come for me in my near future. I am glad you were able to do this. I wonder if I will be able to go bare if my day comes.

I was so scared Kat!
    I was so scared, but also ready to be comfortable again! I didn't know if I was ready or not, and I may have to work up my courage all over again next time, but at least today felt good!

The day WILL come when you will take your maiden voyage, sans headcover! And I want you to post and tell us all how great it made you feel!

CR
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    what your daughter said is so true
    That is a big step and i am proud of you. I finally shed my wig at work last week. I was taking my old people out to plant flowers and my wig was hot itching and my ears were even turning red, i thought the heck with this and took it off. To lighten the situation I asked them all if they wanted to rub it for good luck. And they took turns rubbing my newly grown little hairs that are sticking straight up! We laughed and laughed as one elderly man kept repeating "It's the darndest thing!" and rubbing his own head wondering why his too isn't growing back lol.lol.
    Jackie
  • Kat11
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I was so scared Kat!
    I was so scared, but also ready to be comfortable again! I didn't know if I was ready or not, and I may have to work up my courage all over again next time, but at least today felt good!

The day WILL come when you will take your maiden voyage, sans headcover! And I want you to post and tell us all how great it made you feel!

CR

I will remember your post. I
    CR - I will remember your post. I am so glad you were able to do this. I think its great. What is the 1954 mean ? 1954 is my birth year.
  • CR1954
    Options
    Kat11 said:

I will remember your post. I
    CR - I will remember your post. I am so glad you were able to do this. I think its great. What is the 1954 mean ? 1954 is my birth year.

1954 is my birth year! See how much we have in common!? My birth month is February.

CR
  • CR1954
    Options
    rjjj said:

That is a big step and i am proud of you. I finally shed my wig at work last week. I was taking my old people out to plant flowers and my wig was hot itching and my ears were even turning red, i thought the heck with this and took it off. To lighten the situation I asked them all if they wanted to rub it for good luck. And they took turns rubbing my newly grown little hairs that are sticking straight up! We laughed and laughed as one elderly man kept repeating "It's the darndest thing!" and rubbing his own head wondering why his too isn't growing back lol.lol.
    Jackie

Hey Jackie......
    Isn't it just so great! That's so funny about the head rubbing thing. My husband rubs my head every time he walks past me!! LOL!

I figure with summer just around the corner and the weather getting warmer, the head covers have to go!

CR
  • Kat11
    Options
    CR1954 said:

1954 is my birth year! See how much we have in common!? My birth month is February.

CR

CR Well friend mine, My
    CR Well friend mine, My B-Day is february 25th
  • CR1954
    Options
    Kat11 said:

CR Well friend mine, My
    CR Well friend mine, My B-Day is february 25th

Oh wow!
    Mine is the 23rd! How awesome is this! Pisces people!

CR
  • Kat11
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Oh wow!
    Mine is the 23rd! How awesome is this! Pisces people!

CR

CR - Well now I know we will
    CR - Well now I know we will completly understand each other.
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Yay CR!
    I am so glad that you mustered up the courage to do that!!
    My surgeon's assistant always used to compliment me-always calling me beautiful when she saw me after I lost my hair,and she told me once that she thought hair just took away from people's features!
    I know it's hard to go out for the first time. Sometimes not so much out of vanity,but because we don't want the pity look or people staring! I always thought that I could be a "walking billboard" in a good way for anyone who was going through it too who might feel alone.
    I just got tired of feeling like I had to cover myself up so the public could feel comfortable!!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    Bravo!
    CR, Jackie, and Patty, I am so impressed! You all have my greatest admiration. I still have not become comfortable enough to go bareheaded even in my front yard. You are my role models, and I will try to work up to where you are, like Kat.

Also, very funny and true what your daughter said, CR.

p.s. Hope you enjoyed your retail therapy at the mall.
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    CR
    You are beautiful with or without hair, a hat, a scarf or anything! I am so happy that you took this huge step and it was ok for you! WTG GIRL!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Bravo!
    CR, Jackie, and Patty, I am so impressed! You all have my greatest admiration. I still have not become comfortable enough to go bareheaded even in my front yard. You are my role models, and I will try to work up to where you are, like Kat.

Wow! I'll most likey be
    Wow! I'll most likey be hairless in 3 more weeks. I wondered if I was going to be able to stand the wig,scarves, hats in the summer heat....but your daughter is right...other than a baseball cap not too many head coverings are going to look natural in the summer heat anyway.
    Don't know if I'll be as brave as you guys....I'll probably wear a wig at home alone ...just me and the dog....and the wig...
    But way to go!
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Bravo!

Moopy,you and Kat
    will know when you feel comfortable enough to go bare. And even if you never do,that's okay too!
    I started out going bald in my own house and when I went for treatments at the cancer center(figured I definately wouldn't look like an outcast there).And when the weather got warm enough I had enough peach fuzz that I just decided-no more hats!And a lot of people were saying at the time"Well,look at Brittany Spears-that's the latest style!".
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    rjjj said:

Jackie

Jackie, that's hilarious,
    Jackie, that's hilarious, good for you LOL
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Congratulations
    Another fear conquered! And it feels really good. Your daughter is wise beyond her years and I'm glad you took her advice. Just watch out for sunburn up there LOL
  • CR1954
    Options
    LOL!!!!!!!!
    Until today, I wouldn't even go to the mailbox unless my head was covered. I think what is most amazing to me, is that such a minor act as going out with my head uncovered, made me feel so empowered and free!

Oooh, and Moopy, the retail therapy didn't hurt either!! ROFL!!

CR
  • CR1954
    Options
    Thank you......
    Thank you sisters! You are all so AWESOME!!

CR
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options

Moopy,you and Kat
    will know when you feel comfortable enough to go bare. And even if you never do,that's okay too!
    I started out going bald in my own house and when I went for treatments at the cancer center(figured I definately wouldn't look like an outcast there).And when the weather got warm enough I had enough peach fuzz that I just decided-no more hats!And a lot of people were saying at the time"Well,look at Brittany Spears-that's the latest style!".

Good Idea
    I'll try going bare at home more. It sure feels good with the ceiling fan on, or outside in the breeze. Especially during a hot flash.

CR, you know retail therapy never hurts. Hope you got some good Memorial Day deals. Joe and I went shopping today, and Joe thought to ask for a rain check. I congratulated his shopping savvy, and he said maybe he'll get good enough to be an honorary woman. That therapy thread sure had an effect!
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    CR1954 said:

Thank you......
    Thank you sisters! You are all so AWESOME!!

CR

So tell me CR...do you think
    So tell me CR...do you think a little self tanner would be attractive on a bald head...I have to say I think black women look good with bald heads...I just dont know about my pasty white one...(a la Ms Spears). I kinda of think a bronzed buffed pate with giantic hoops and a hippy skirt might be an interesting look for summer...very exotic...
    oh pardon the gif I was experimenting
    Dee