TAMOXIFEN & WATER

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
For the ladies taken tamox, do you all take it with water or do you take it with whatever you have to drink at the time???? The reason i ask is because it says on the bottle to take with a full glass of water and i always take it with everything but water. Plz advise if i really should be following directions.

Thanks,
Babe

Comments

• cabbott
    cabbott Member Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    pill taking
    You would have to ask the pharmacist to make sure whatever liquid you have handy is okay for sure. Some pills are totally negated when taken with milk or doubled in strength when downed with grapefruit juice or become damaging to the liver when taken with alcohol for example, and I don't know what goes or doesn't go with tamoxifen. However, when I was in the oncologist's office once, he and his student oncologist both made sure I was taking my pills with plenty of water. It seems that a picture of some woman's esophagus was making the rounds at the med school. She had swallowed a pill (I don't know what kind) without sufficient water and it had eaten a hole in her esophagus where it had lodged. She didn't know that it didn't go all the way down until time had passed and the hole went all the way through. The hole let food particles into her chest cavity causing a massive infection. Apparently surgery had come too late and both doctors seeing me were quite shook up by the incident. So check with your pharmacist on the latest research on whether you can guzzle down tamoxifen with one cup of your favorite brew or not, but definately make it at least a cup of liquid per pill. Oh, they also mentioned not to throw the pills down your throat. If they hit the back of your throat just right should you toss 'em down, your throat can spasm making breathing difficult. That actually happened to a cousin of my husband who routinely tossed in two or three vitamins at a time to save time. It didn't. She's okay, but after a few days in the hospital not to mention a harrowing time getting there, she's a bit more cautious these days.
  • Kat11
    Kat11 Member Posts: 1,931 Member
    Options
    I am on Tamox. Don't take
    I am on Tamox. Don't take with grapefruit juice and you have to watch your intake of grapefruit. I could never down a full glass of water or anything for that matter. Your right it does say on the bottle take with full glass of water. I take mine at night followed by a glass of diet coke. Hopefully this is ok.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    You have to take it with
    You have to take it with water according to my oncologist. I happen to drink lots of water any way so it didn't matter to me.
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    In the pharmacy when we fill
    In the pharmacy when we fill prescriptions,if there is a warning to the patient there are stickers that we apply to the bottle or box. Like for iron or ibuprofen, it would be "take with food". Narcotics usually carry a red sticker stating that it can make you drowsy. So anything important should carry a sticker. If there is no sticker then the pharmacist should tell you to your face if there is anything you should know. There used to be a grapefruit warning on Tamoxifen but it's not on the Tamoxifen monograph from the company anymore. I am looking into this as we supply people in our community with Tamoxifen. I've been in touch with the company but getting that small piece of info seems to be like pulling teeth.

I could be wrong but I think most medication instructions say water rather than fluids and it probably is a generic term. Water is probably the best but unless you are specifically told by the pharmacist by word or sticker to not take it with "this or that", then you can take it with anything (except maybe grapefruit juice). And Cabbott's right, make sure that puppy gets all the way down.

Tamoxifen can be very dehydrating, so boosting your water will probably save you from some uncomfortable se.

jan
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Options

In the pharmacy when we fill prescriptions,if there is a warning to the patient there are stickers that we apply to the bottle or box. Like for iron or ibuprofen, it would be "take with food". Narcotics usually carry a red sticker stating that it can make you drowsy. So anything important should carry a sticker. If there is no sticker then the pharmacist should tell you to your face if there is anything you should know. There used to be a grapefruit warning on Tamoxifen but it's not on the Tamoxifen monograph from the company anymore. I am looking into this as we supply people in our community with Tamoxifen. I've been in touch with the company but getting that small piece of info seems to be like pulling teeth.

I could be wrong but I think most medication instructions say water rather than fluids and it probably is a generic term. Water is probably the best but unless you are specifically told by the pharmacist by word or sticker to not take it with "this or that", then you can take it with anything (except maybe grapefruit juice). And Cabbott's right, make sure that puppy gets all the way down.

Tamoxifen can be very dehydrating, so boosting your water will probably save you from some uncomfortable se.

jan

I take mine with water and
    I take mine with water and usually a full glass. I find I don't have as many night sweats or hot flashes when I do. But that may just be me.
    Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Water...
    Hi, Babe. Like Lili, I drink lots of water, anyway. I take everything (including vitamins, not just meds) with water. If you've ever been in the hospital, the nurses ALWAYS bring a glass of water with any and all pills.

In general, I have a "sensitive" digestive system. So, my own rule of thumb with pills is always with water. I think it helps to get the pills all the way down without sticking (per the post above, which is a horrible story!), dilutes their effect in the stomach, and helps to dissolve the meds (or whatever) quickly - thereby getting the meds/vitamins into the system quickly and efficiently.

Admittedly, I'm not a medical professional. This is just my own way; but, I do recommend it.

As always, best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options

jan

I didn't know
    that Tamoxifen could be dehydrating! Need to drink more fluids now I guess. You learn something new every day!
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options

Water...
    Hi, Babe. Like Lili, I drink lots of water, anyway. I take everything (including vitamins, not just meds) with water. If you've ever been in the hospital, the nurses ALWAYS bring a glass of water with any and all pills.

In general, I have a "sensitive" digestive system. So, my own rule of thumb with pills is always with water. I think it helps to get the pills all the way down without sticking (per the post above, which is a horrible story!), dilutes their effect in the stomach, and helps to dissolve the meds (or whatever) quickly - thereby getting the meds/vitamins into the system quickly and efficiently.

Admittedly, I'm not a medical professional. This is just my own way; but, I do recommend it.

As always, best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan

Water.....
    I sometimes take it with water, sometimes dry, sometimes beer, wine or milk. It doesn't make any difference. Hugs Jxxx
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    tasha_111 said:

Water.....
    I sometimes take it with water, sometimes dry, sometimes beer, wine or milk. It doesn't make any difference. Hugs Jxxx

Thanks for all the info. I
    Thanks for all the info. I actually chew it also because i cant swallow pills. It doesnt taste bad at all. Dr.said chewing it wont matter one bit, that question i did at least ask because some pills have to be swallowed. Any ways, thanks!
  • Kylez
    Kylez Member Posts: 3,761 Member
    Options

Thanks for all the info. I
    Thanks for all the info. I actually chew it also because i cant swallow pills. It doesnt taste bad at all. Dr.said chewing it wont matter one bit, that question i did at least ask because some pills have to be swallowed. Any ways, thanks!

I am suppose to go on
    I am suppose to go on tamoxifen after I finish radiation treatments, but, I am scared of all of the side effects. Has anyone here refused it?
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Kylez said:

I am suppose to go on
    I am suppose to go on tamoxifen after I finish radiation treatments, but, I am scared of all of the side effects. Has anyone here refused it?

Hi Kylez
    I'm sure there are lots of women who have refused it but I remember one post on another site about a woman who refused it due to fear of blood clots and when her cancer returned (stage iv) it was the only thing that got rid of it. Hon, you can always quit if it's unbearable but tons and tons of women are just fine with it. It didn't work for me but I don't metabolize it well either. There are other options if you qualify like the AI's, but they can wreak havoc on you as well.........or not. We are all different and you'll never know unless you try :) Good luck to you.
    hugs
    jan
  • creampuff91344
    creampuff91344 Member Posts: 988
    Options

Hi Kylez
    I'm sure there are lots of women who have refused it but I remember one post on another site about a woman who refused it due to fear of blood clots and when her cancer returned (stage iv) it was the only thing that got rid of it. Hon, you can always quit if it's unbearable but tons and tons of women are just fine with it. It didn't work for me but I don't metabolize it well either. There are other options if you qualify like the AI's, but they can wreak havoc on you as well.........or not. We are all different and you'll never know unless you try :) Good luck to you.
    hugs
    jan

Kylez, I am one of those who
    Kylez, I am one of those who was eligible for AI's (post menopausal), and was put on Femara at the same time I started radiation. Three months later, my oncologist and I decided the side effects were really working overtime on my body. He switched me to Tamoxifen, saying we would try that for 18 months and then try switching back to an AI. Well.....I procrastinated for about a month and a half before starting the Tamoxifen, mainly because of the bad se from the AI. Just didn't want to feel bad any more. I kept going back to the bottle each night, and each night talked myself out of taking the pill. A thread on these boards woke me up. Just the mear fact that you fear the unknown is such a huge factor in whether you try the drug, but not giving something a try really increases your chance or recurrence. That being said, I started Tamoxifen, one-half a pill for the first week, and then the full dosage after that. So far I can't see any side effects. It has been three months, and so far I am doing fine. My mind is relieved, and my husband is ecstatic that I am fighting with everything there is to offer. Being scared is normal, but the alternative of not taking Tamoxifen is something none of us want to face. I gave it a try, and have not regretted my decision. You can always quit if it doesn't go well for you. Discuss this with the doctor, and maybe he can give you some reassurances and statistics. Good luck on your decision. I am sending hugs your way, and hope you give this a try.

Judy
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Kylez said:

I am suppose to go on

tamoxifen
    I have been on it since I finished radiation on April 10--I started the med on the 11th. I have had no problems.

Maureen
  • tjhay
    tjhay Member Posts: 655
    Options
    djteach said:

I take mine with water and
    I take mine with water and usually a full glass. I find I don't have as many night sweats or hot flashes when I do. But that may just be me.
    Love and gentle hugs,
    Donna

With Water
    I drink lots of fluids everyday however if there is even a chance that taking it with a big old glass of water will cut down on hot flashes and night sweats then i am more then willing to add a liter of water to take with it (can ya tell hot flashes and night sweats are working my last nerve)Going to go out and by a super size glass just for taking the tamoxifen
    Tjhay