First mammoram after radiation therapy

Options
2»

Comments

• mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    No Mammo for at least 3 months after rads
    My radiation oncologist cancelled my first mammogram, which had been scheduled a few weeks after radiation ended. He said it was too soon and the breast tissue needed some time to heal. I finished rads at the end of June, 2008, and I went for that first mammorgram in October, 2008. It was a complete mammogram, both breasts. I had my second mammo last month. It was of the bc breast only. Everything was okay and neither mammo hurt any more than a mammogram prior to my breast cancer. Well, yes, there may have been a bit more tenderness in the bc breast, but my technician worked as quickly as possible and helped me through. Hope this helps.

Hugs, Marilynn
  • jnl
    jnl Member Posts: 3,869 Member
    Options
    mgm42 said:

No Mammo for at least 3 months after rads
    My radiation oncologist cancelled my first mammogram, which had been scheduled a few weeks after radiation ended. He said it was too soon and the breast tissue needed some time to heal. I finished rads at the end of June, 2008, and I went for that first mammorgram in October, 2008. It was a complete mammogram, both breasts. I had my second mammo last month. It was of the bc breast only. Everything was okay and neither mammo hurt any more than a mammogram prior to my breast cancer. Well, yes, there may have been a bit more tenderness in the bc breast, but my technician worked as quickly as possible and helped me through. Hope this helps.

Hugs, Marilynn

I am terrified of my first
    I am terrified of my first mammogram after my lumpectomy. I would think it would hurt so much. Can we just have an ultrasound and skip the mammogram? Cause ultrasounds don't hurt. Anyone ever do that? Thanks!
  • Kristin N
    Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    jnl said:

I am terrified of my first
    I am terrified of my first mammogram after my lumpectomy. I would think it would hurt so much. Can we just have an ultrasound and skip the mammogram? Cause ultrasounds don't hurt. Anyone ever do that? Thanks!

They suggested a 6 month out
    They suggested a 6 month out mammo for me, but, I said - we will see. lol If I don't feel like I am ready, I won't do it. I bet it hurts badddddddddddd yikes :(
  • taleena
    taleena Member Posts: 1,612 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

They suggested a 6 month out
    They suggested a 6 month out mammo for me, but, I said - we will see. lol If I don't feel like I am ready, I won't do it. I bet it hurts badddddddddddd yikes :(

Just two days out from the
    Just two days out from the lumpectomy... I can't even say that word outloud.. mamo....

YIKES just thinking about it hurts.

Best wishes..

~T