Your Period!!!!

Options
babebussie
babebussie Member Posts: 150
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Is your period suppose to stop while your on tamoxifen or not????

Comments

• outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    Mine stopped
    from chemo. A little after the second round. I've never heard of that happening while on tamoxifen-don't know.
  • babebussie
    Options

Mine stopped
    from chemo. A little after the second round. I've never heard of that happening while on tamoxifen-don't know.

My period stopped while i
    My period stopped while i was on chemo too but it came back after the chemo was over. So i'm currently still having it. I just thought the tamox was suppose to stop it. It really doesnt matter because i like my peiod but i just was wondering.
  • j916
    j916 Member Posts: 141
    Options
    going, going....
    GONE....after second round of AC, i had an awful, foul sllloooowwww peiord that seem to last about three weeks, and not.....NOTHING. My dr said it was normal. Did your period stay normal through chemo?
  • outdoorgirl
    Options

My period stopped while i
    My period stopped while i was on chemo too but it came back after the chemo was over. So i'm currently still having it. I just thought the tamox was suppose to stop it. It really doesnt matter because i like my peiod but i just was wondering.

Probably should
    ask your onc or nurses. They'll be able to tell you!
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    j916 said:

going, going....
    GONE....after second round of AC, i had an awful, foul sllloooowwww peiord that seem to last about three weeks, and not.....NOTHING. My dr said it was normal. Did your period stay normal through chemo?

I had it
    for one day-heavy-then it was over.
  • Ngoc
    Ngoc Member Posts: 5
    Options
    Hi babebussie
    I have been taken Tamoxifen for 10 months from now. ....and ...Yes! Absolutely, your period will stop when you start to take Tamoxifen. I've been through that but my situation was different. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 24. After chemo and rad, I started taking Tamoxifen in 5 years. Because of my age (too young), my oncologist told me that my period will stop right after I could start on Tamoxifen. Then, I took Tamoxifen. In the the beginning (1st month), I was still in a regular period. The second month, third month, fourth month and fifth month, they were all the same. I met with my oncologist and he was surprised. After that, in my sixth month, my period suddenly stopped....until now. So, in my opinion, I think it depends on your body and your age. The only thing I know that Tamoxifen will stop your period and it's true. However, in what I went through, I could recommend that ....if you're on Tamoxifen, you should get a regular pap-smear check up with your GYN doctor (For example: one time a year should be ok). Good luck to you.

Regards,
    Ngoc
  • babebussie
    Options
    j916 said:

going, going....

My period stopped during
    My period stopped during chemo totally but about 3 or so months after it started back up and i'm still having it.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options

My period stopped during
    My period stopped during chemo totally but about 3 or so months after it started back up and i'm still having it.

I'm not sure, babebussie...
    Like others here, my chemo included "chemically-induced" menopause (vs. "natural" menopause). I think you've been taking the Tamoxifen for only about a month? If it's supposed to stop your period - maybe a month isn't long enough just yet. I'd say ask your doctor, to be sure.

Always best wishes to you.

Kind regards, Susan
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options
    Ngoc said:

Hi babebussie
    I have been taken Tamoxifen for 10 months from now. ....and ...Yes! Absolutely, your period will stop when you start to take Tamoxifen. I've been through that but my situation was different. I was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 24. After chemo and rad, I started taking Tamoxifen in 5 years. Because of my age (too young), my oncologist told me that my period will stop right after I could start on Tamoxifen. Then, I took Tamoxifen. In the the beginning (1st month), I was still in a regular period. The second month, third month, fourth month and fifth month, they were all the same. I met with my oncologist and he was surprised. After that, in my sixth month, my period suddenly stopped....until now. So, in my opinion, I think it depends on your body and your age. The only thing I know that Tamoxifen will stop your period and it's true. However, in what I went through, I could recommend that ....if you're on Tamoxifen, you should get a regular pap-smear check up with your GYN doctor (For example: one time a year should be ok). Good luck to you.

Regards,
    Ngoc

Hi babebussie
    I was 48 when I started Tamoxifen. I started in Oct,2000 and had my period that month and haven't had it again. Luckly, I was no longer planning on getting pregnant so I have to say, I didn't mind this side effect at all.The only problem is that I think ,due to the abrupt stop in Estrogen production,( I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years, then Femara 8 mos and then Aromasin 1 1/2 years)I am now at low normal in my spine in my Bone Density. I had a large drop since last test 1 1/2 years ago. Something new to be concerned about! Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    Options
    cruf said:

Hi babebussie
    I was 48 when I started Tamoxifen. I started in Oct,2000 and had my period that month and haven't had it again. Luckly, I was no longer planning on getting pregnant so I have to say, I didn't mind this side effect at all.The only problem is that I think ,due to the abrupt stop in Estrogen production,( I was on Tamoxifen for 5 years, then Femara 8 mos and then Aromasin 1 1/2 years)I am now at low normal in my spine in my Bone Density. I had a large drop since last test 1 1/2 years ago. Something new to be concerned about! Good luck! HUGS!! Cathy

kept mine
    Hi babebussie, I started tamoxifen before I was diagnosed with the beast due to some abnormal biopsies and family history. I was on it for 3 years before diagnosed. I started at age 45 pre-menapause. I've not always been the most regular with my periods even before that but I can say my periods did not stop. I also had no side effects. Unfortunately it didn't keep the diagnosis from striking. I did stop after I had a double mas as clearly the benefits were not there for me. The month after I stopped I had the heaviest period I have ever had. My GYN didn't think it was related but I can't help but respectfully disagree. As the saying goes, I guess we just "go with the flow". sorry couldn't resist
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    dbs1673 said:

kept mine
    Hi babebussie, I started tamoxifen before I was diagnosed with the beast due to some abnormal biopsies and family history. I was on it for 3 years before diagnosed. I started at age 45 pre-menapause. I've not always been the most regular with my periods even before that but I can say my periods did not stop. I also had no side effects. Unfortunately it didn't keep the diagnosis from striking. I did stop after I had a double mas as clearly the benefits were not there for me. The month after I stopped I had the heaviest period I have ever had. My GYN didn't think it was related but I can't help but respectfully disagree. As the saying goes, I guess we just "go with the flow". sorry couldn't resist

I dunno
    I was on the depoprovera shots every three months just before dx....they can take up to 2 years to restart after you stop taking that...no sign yet..Yoohoooooooo!!!!!!!!
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Tamoxifen
    Hi Babe, My period stopped after my second chemo. I started Tamoxifen a few weeks after my last chemo and my period has not restarted and it is over 2 years. My blood work shows that even though I don't have a period, I am still premenopausal. My oncologist said that Tamoxifen can cause irregular periods in some women and stop it all together in others. In my case he says it is the reason I am not having a period now. Like you, I actually never minded my period that much. I actually miss it----to me it represents youth. I am 45 and will be on tamoxifen for another 2 and 1/2 more years, so who knows if I will ever have another period.

Check with your doctors. You are probably one of the women for which Tamox. does not stop your period.
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    Options
    I still have my period!
    I've been on Tamoxifen since October 2008, right after I finished my six weeks of radiation. I did not need chemo, low recurrence score the Oncotype DX test indicated. Lumpectomy only. My period has been the best it's ever been. Pretty regular about every 32-34 days. Heavy the first day or two and over by the 4th day. You need to understand that my period has never been regular from the first time at age 12 until now at age 44. This is the best it's ever been. My gyncologist and oncologist both told me that I will continue to get my period even though I'm on the Tamoxifen.
  • babebussie
    Options
    Piggies said:

I still have my period!
    I've been on Tamoxifen since October 2008, right after I finished my six weeks of radiation. I did not need chemo, low recurrence score the Oncotype DX test indicated. Lumpectomy only. My period has been the best it's ever been. Pretty regular about every 32-34 days. Heavy the first day or two and over by the 4th day. You need to understand that my period has never been regular from the first time at age 12 until now at age 44. This is the best it's ever been. My gyncologist and oncologist both told me that I will continue to get my period even though I'm on the Tamoxifen.

Thank you all for the
    Thank you all for the feedback:-)
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    cruf said:

Hi babebussie

Cathy, are you taking
    Cathy, are you taking calcium? Both my oncologist and the internist recommended that I take 1200 mg calcium per day and 2,000 iu of Vitamin D per day. I'm now on arimidex, but I also have a history of osteoporosis on both my mother's side and my father's and that was one of my major concerns. Hugs, Lili
  • cruf
    cruf Member Posts: 908
    Options

Cathy, are you taking
    Cathy, are you taking calcium? Both my oncologist and the internist recommended that I take 1200 mg calcium per day and 2,000 iu of Vitamin D per day. I'm now on arimidex, but I also have a history of osteoporosis on both my mother's side and my father's and that was one of my major concerns. Hugs, Lili

Calcium
    Hi Lili! Yes, I am taking calcium and just started Vit. D although I have also been taking a multi vit and exercising so don't know why this happened. I had lab work and my Vit D level and calcium and parathyroid levels are all normal. I still blame it on the effects of Femara and aromasin as well as being thrown into menapause so quickly. Thanks for asking. HUGS!! Cathy