Pains in calves with Tamoxifen?

Options
outdoorgirl
outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
This might have been mentioned on a different post before,but I was wondering-have any of you taking tamoxifen gotten pain in your calves of your legs?It's kind of like a little throbbing pain off and on. Something I will bring up with my onc,but just wondering if you all had anything to say about it!

Comments

• phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    I think so, but what I
    I think so, but what I rememaber most was the leg and foot cramps. They would wake me in the middle of the night and I'd have to jump out of bed and stomp my foot trying to get rid of it.
    If it is red and hot see a doc right away. That's a sign of a clot.
  • outdoorgirl
    Options

I think so, but what I
    I think so, but what I rememaber most was the leg and foot cramps. They would wake me in the middle of the night and I'd have to jump out of bed and stomp my foot trying to get rid of it.
    If it is red and hot see a doc right away. That's a sign of a clot.

Thanks for the reply!
    Yeah,
    I've had leg cramps before and this definately doesn't feel the same. I'll remember that about the red and hot,thanks!Don't want to be a hypochondriac or anything-just wondering!
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Hi Outdoorgirl,
    I have feet

Hi Outdoorgirl,
    I have feet and calf pains also and I think some of mine is tamox. and some is neuropathy from Lupus/Fibromyalgia. They definitely got worse when I started the tamox. You could never be a hypochondriac! These SE are real. Talk with your dr. and see what they say.
    Hang in there.

Love and gentle hugs.
    Donna
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    djteach said:

Hi Outdoorgirl,
    I have feet

Hi Outdoorgirl,
    I have feet and calf pains also and I think some of mine is tamox. and some is neuropathy from Lupus/Fibromyalgia. They definitely got worse when I started the tamox. You could never be a hypochondriac! These SE are real. Talk with your dr. and see what they say.
    Hang in there.

Love and gentle hugs.
    Donna

Donna,I feel for you
    to have all that on top of everything else! What a fighter and warrior you are!
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hey Patti, I developed a
    Hey Patti, I developed a cramp in my leg 4 months after I started the Tamoxifen. 1 year later and I still have the cramp. I can walk at a slow pace but can no longer jog or do power walking, as I get a hot, searing pain in my left calf. After about 1 year I started noticing that my joints in my fingers were starting to swell to the extreme that I couldn't make a fist nor type which was why I hadn't posted much. Finally, this March, I got so bad that the doctor suspended all meds for 1 month and then started Arimidex. So far I don't have any major side effects, just some light muscle cramping and some joint pain. Someone posted that Claritin helps, so I am going to buy some this weekend and try that. Hugs, Lili
  • outdoorgirl
    Options

Hey Patti, I developed a
    Hey Patti, I developed a cramp in my leg 4 months after I started the Tamoxifen. 1 year later and I still have the cramp. I can walk at a slow pace but can no longer jog or do power walking, as I get a hot, searing pain in my left calf. After about 1 year I started noticing that my joints in my fingers were starting to swell to the extreme that I couldn't make a fist nor type which was why I hadn't posted much. Finally, this March, I got so bad that the doctor suspended all meds for 1 month and then started Arimidex. So far I don't have any major side effects, just some light muscle cramping and some joint pain. Someone posted that Claritin helps, so I am going to buy some this weekend and try that. Hugs, Lili

Why do meds
    that are supposed to help us always seem to come along with these lovely(sarcasm) side effects? Oh well,what can you do?
    Hi Lili! How are you?
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    Options
    I get leg cramps, stiffness
    I get leg cramps, stiffness and joint pain thats added on to the pain i already have from the B/C mets to bone. I'm starting to get used to being stiff. After i walk about for a minute or two it works it's way through.
  • Piggies
    Piggies Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Leg Pain
    I've been on Tamoxifen since October 2008. I started it right after I finished six weeks radiation. I did not need chemo as the Oncotype DX test indicated a low recurrence score. I'm too young for menopause. I was worried about the side effects of Tamoxifen, mostly hot flashes. From what I understand if you have a hot flash you'll know it. I do have leg cramps every now and then. A couple of times I woke in the middle of the night to some serious leg pain/charlie horse. No swelling or stiffness. I run regularly at a gym and haven't had any problems running or walking. My oncologist said to let him know ASAP if I had constant leg pain/cramping. No redness on the legs.
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Yup, I have been getting
    Yup, I have been getting calf and foot cramps since starting the tamoxifen over 2 years ago. Mostly at night. I think it is a common side effect.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options

Why do meds
    that are supposed to help us always seem to come along with these lovely(sarcasm) side effects? Oh well,what can you do?
    Hi Lili! How are you?

I'm doing good so far Patti,
    I'm doing good so far Patti, every day is a good day as long as we can get up. I will try every med out there to prevent recurrence.l Hopefully, I will be able to tolerate these better. Hugs, Lili