one year from stage 4 diagnosis

Options
lesvanb
lesvanb Member Posts: 905
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Greetings to all. It's been a year since I posted and have finished radiation/chemo; 2 surgeries to rectum and liver (NED after that!); and two weeks ago had my last FOLFOX infusion. I feel extremely grateful to be alive, to have the friends and family support I have, to enjoy the emerging spring etc. I also feel like I've been on a long extended grueling expedition and am quite fatigued as I let my guard down 'cause there's no more onslaughts coming. I also don't want to lose sight of the insights along this long path. In many ways my life is much simpler because of how much and the quality of what I invite into it. So just wanted to start a conversation of what post-cancer treatment is like and what you've found helpful, though cancer is part of my life now and not just because of the high recurrence rate for my stage.

Leslie in Wyoming

Comments

• Buzzard
    Buzzard Member Posts: 3,043 Member
    Options
    My thoughts Post Cancer.........
    Everything is in detail now....To me its not a yard its the blades of grass...its not a group, its the individuals that make up that group. I have found that in everyday"normal" life its all about running and gunning....only until you face the possibility of death is when you slow down and really start to make the most of everything around you.its ashame that it takes something like this to get most people thinking like that....
    Post cancer is what it is post(past) thats the way I go at it and try to reallign my life to live it like I wish I had before cancer.....I like myself better now than I did then..I advocate to all my friends and anyone around me when cancer is a topic...I am not embarrassed at all to show them my ostomy bag or tell them my year long dealings with it as well as being sewn up back there...It is something that I feel is part of my "growing up" I have done in the last year......and I take life one day at a time.....
  • lesvanb
    Options
    Buzzard said:

My thoughts Post Cancer.........
    Everything is in detail now....To me its not a yard its the blades of grass...its not a group, its the individuals that make up that group. I have found that in everyday"normal" life its all about running and gunning....only until you face the possibility of death is when you slow down and really start to make the most of everything around you.its ashame that it takes something like this to get most people thinking like that....
    Post cancer is what it is post(past) thats the way I go at it and try to reallign my life to live it like I wish I had before cancer.....I like myself better now than I did then..I advocate to all my friends and anyone around me when cancer is a topic...I am not embarrassed at all to show them my ostomy bag or tell them my year long dealings with it as well as being sewn up back there...It is something that I feel is part of my "growing up" I have done in the last year......and I take life one day at a time.....

thanks for your thoughts
    whew, I really needed to be reminded of that piece about the detail to things now. That so describes my perspective right now. thank you again.
  • dmdwins
    dmdwins Member Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    lesvanb said:

thanks for your thoughts
    whew, I really needed to be reminded of that piece about the detail to things now. That so describes my perspective right now. thank you again.

Book
    There is a book written by Bernie Siegel called Living Between Office Visits- That's what I struggle with. His more famous book is Love, Medicine and Miracles and Peace Hope and Healing(or something like that)I have read all three and they were good.

Cancer was a reality check for me-reminding me what was really important in life. In the busy-ness of life I try to remember how preecious it is.

Take Care
    Dawn
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    Options
    Hi Leslie from Wyoming
    What a beautiful state you live in. AND CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! You should be very proud of yourself.

I am a little more than 5 years out from my stage IV diagnosis and have to admit that I do still struggle with it all at times, not near like I used to but every once in a while I find myself "looking over my shoulder" wondering............

Leslie, you have been thru a great deal in the last 12 months physically, mentally, and emotionally, so now that it's all over you need to get yourself back. That is much easier said then done but I would start with rebuilding your body by eating and trying to "live better".

I do not have any of the genetic reasons for my rectal cancer and know that I did not do myself any favors for about 10 years. I did too much of too many wrong things and it caught up with me. I have since completely changed my diet, my job, some friends and family, what I do for fun and enjoyment, exercise and many other things. I feel like my body welcomed the **** cells to live and grow then and am trying to not let that happen again.

There are many great books out there about how to eat and live smarter to help your body fight off a recurrence. What you can not do is go back to eating/living like you were before you got sick.

If I were you I would go get a serious B complex multi-vitamin (get one from a health food store, not all vitamins are created equal). Get a copy of your latest blood work and learn to understand what the most important red and white blood cell counts are so you can work on them. Red blood cells help rebuild your hair, your skin, the walls of you colon, etc. White blood cells fuel your immune system so they can fight the bad guys so you certainly want to feed them.

If you're interested I'll share some of my fav books and web sites. I ain't perfect but I am still alive and hope to reach my 5 year cancer free mark in October.

Lisa P.

PS. Please do not try to change too much too soon, it will never last. Anyone that has ever been on a diet knows what I mean. My major changes occurred over a 12-18 period and the minor ones still occur.
  • Julie 44
    Julie 44 Member Posts: 476 Member
    Options
    scouty said:

Hi Leslie from Wyoming
    What a beautiful state you live in. AND CONGRATS TO YOU!!!! You should be very proud of yourself.

I am a little more than 5 years out from my stage IV diagnosis and have to admit that I do still struggle with it all at times, not near like I used to but every once in a while I find myself "looking over my shoulder" wondering............

Leslie, you have been thru a great deal in the last 12 months physically, mentally, and emotionally, so now that it's all over you need to get yourself back. That is much easier said then done but I would start with rebuilding your body by eating and trying to "live better".

I do not have any of the genetic reasons for my rectal cancer and know that I did not do myself any favors for about 10 years. I did too much of too many wrong things and it caught up with me. I have since completely changed my diet, my job, some friends and family, what I do for fun and enjoyment, exercise and many other things. I feel like my body welcomed the **** cells to live and grow then and am trying to not let that happen again.

There are many great books out there about how to eat and live smarter to help your body fight off a recurrence. What you can not do is go back to eating/living like you were before you got sick.

If I were you I would go get a serious B complex multi-vitamin (get one from a health food store, not all vitamins are created equal). Get a copy of your latest blood work and learn to understand what the most important red and white blood cell counts are so you can work on them. Red blood cells help rebuild your hair, your skin, the walls of you colon, etc. White blood cells fuel your immune system so they can fight the bad guys so you certainly want to feed them.

If you're interested I'll share some of my fav books and web sites. I ain't perfect but I am still alive and hope to reach my 5 year cancer free mark in October.

Lisa P.

PS. Please do not try to change too much too soon, it will never last. Anyone that has ever been on a diet knows what I mean. My major changes occurred over a 12-18 period and the minor ones still occur.

In the same boat
    I am NED for only 1 month..I am having a NED BBQ this weekend to celebrate...But you know it is very strange to deal with..Don't get me wrong I am extremely happy but it is also hard to get used to being free so to speak..I don't know what exactly it is but there is something so very different with me and my thoughts...I feel mixed up alot and not sure of anyhting anymore.... I am even depressed sometimes ..I have gained some weight throughout this and have really let myself go..My hair is a mess,I don't wear amkeup anymore and for some reason I just don't care!!!!! I mean I do but I don't care..So I understand how you feel you are not alone in this. JULIE
  • lesvanb
    Options
    scouty said:

Hi Leslie from Wyoming

Lisa P.

Thanks Lisa
    Thanks for your affirmation of what I've been through in the past 12 months. It's not like I'm unaware or have forgotten but at times I think the impact is so profound that I cannot fathom it all. I had made some life changes two years before my diagnosis, when I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia, and I think that the work I'd done with my naturopath and acupunturist plus diet changes (always have been quite active) laid a good foundation, and continues to be a good support. Feel free to share some books or websites.

Leslie