Oncs prescribing tests

Options
outdoorgirl
outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I was just wondering,how many of you out there have oncologists who are quick to prescribe tests like xrays and scans when you don't have symptoms but they and/or you just want to be sure?!
Mine isn't quick to unless you have symptoms that happen on a regular basis. I totally trust him and his abilities,but I have heard about a couple of people who had asked for tests and he denied because he didn't feel it was needed-only to find out that it was. I know that doctors are only human and make mistakes,and he can't foresee the future.
What do you guys think?
I have a good relationship with my oncs and nurses and can talk to them.Maybe that's what I need to do.
Patty

Comments

• mimivac
    mimivac Member Posts: 2,143 Member
    Options
    Testing
    Patty, my onc. is like yours. She won't prescribe testing or scans unless I am symptomatic. For instance, I have never had chest xrays, pet scans, or CAT scans. She only does the testing she deems necessary. As we go forward after treatments end, she will do regular blood tests and a tumor marker, but no regular scans. She is, however, open to scans if I am anxious and need to know for peace of mind. I don't. I think it's important for a doctor to be flexible and allow testing if it doesn't put the patient at significant risk, if that's what the patient needs to feel protected. I don't think a doctor should just categorically deny testing. The patient's needs and intuition about her body should be factored in.

Mimi
  • cats_toy
    cats_toy Member Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    oncs
    Mine tries prescribing tests if she thinks I need something, but most of the time she tells me to go to my gp because it all has to be approved through insurance. They did try to get a pet scan for me, supposed to be better than the others, but it was too pricey and the ins co denied. So your onc may know what the insurance co will and will not approve.
    =^..^=
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    cats_toy said:

oncs
    Mine tries prescribing tests if she thinks I need something, but most of the time she tells me to go to my gp because it all has to be approved through insurance. They did try to get a pet scan for me, supposed to be better than the others, but it was too pricey and the ins co denied. So your onc may know what the insurance co will and will not approve.
    =^..^=

Thanks
    for your feedback,Mimi and Cat.
    It's not like I have a rose-colored trust for my onc,he's proven himself so many times in the past. And one of my chemo nurses knew about one of the people-knew that that person is a friend of mine,and told me that they really care about each and everyone of us.That if they didn't,they wouldn't be in their profession. That he wouldn't withhold care for us if he knew we really needed it and I believe her.
    It's just that when you hear true stories sometimes,it shakes you up a little bit and makes you wonder! But yes Cat,I get what you're saying about insurance too!
  • Moopy23
    Moopy23 Member Posts: 1,751 Member
    Options
    XXX
    xxx
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

XXX
    xxx

What happened?
    Moopy,
    I had read your thread for my post and then it disappeared! What happened?
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    I have been getting
    I have been getting bloodwork and annual MRIs due to dense tissue, but so far have not had scans. Once when I was convinced that I had a lump on my neck and was crying during my visit my onc. ordered an ultrasound even though he did not believe that the lump was cancer.

I will be getting a bone scan next month as part of a clinical trial. I must say though that I have never had my insurance company refuse to pay for any test. They payed without a question for my BRCA test and that was over $4000. I also do not have to see my PC to have tests ordered. Any of my docs can do that. I don't even need a referral for my MRIs each year.

I guess I must have really good ins. Something to be thankful for.
  • Moopy23
    Options

What happened?
    Moopy,
    I had read your thread for my post and then it disappeared! What happened?

I Am Sorry
    Patty, I am so sorry! I am very emotional today and when I saw your post thanking Mimi and Cat but not me, I felt snubbed. Normally, I would not have such a sensitive reaction, but I got some very upsetting news yesterday and am just having a difficult time. I probably should not even be posting right now.

Please, please accept my apology. I am glad to know that you read my post and were not offended by it. I was thinking I must have phrased my response in some way or tone that annoyed you. I am relieved to know you don't dislike me (or at least you didn't before now).
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I had.......
    I had a chest x-ray, bone scan, PET scan and MRI before my surgery. Those were all ordered by my surgeon.
    My onc ordered a MUGA scan before I started chemo.
    I have since had another MRI on the other breast. And my onc ordered another MUGA scan, since completing all of my chemo, except for the Herceptin that I get.

CR

Moopy, I'm very sorry for whatever bad news that you got. I wish I could help in some way.
    Whatever your distress, I will keep you in my prayers.
  • tasha_111
    tasha_111 Member Posts: 2,072
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

I Am Sorry
    Patty, I am so sorry! I am very emotional today and when I saw your post thanking Mimi and Cat but not me, I felt snubbed. Normally, I would not have such a sensitive reaction, but I got some very upsetting news yesterday and am just having a difficult time. I probably should not even be posting right now.

Please, please accept my apology. I am glad to know that you read my post and were not offended by it. I was thinking I must have phrased my response in some way or tone that annoyed you. I am relieved to know you don't dislike me (or at least you didn't before now).

Way to go Moopster!
    How could anyone dislike you? We all love you and 'Him' to bits. And we all know what is feels like to have to vent now and again.

I am sorry you had bad news yesterday. I hope things will be OK with you.

HUGE (((((((HUGS))))))) Jxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

I Am Sorry

I'm sorry!
    Moopy,
    That wasn't what happened at all!! I didn't thank you because I had responded before I saw your post! But now I thank you and not because I feel obligated either(seriously!!-I try not to do anything if I don't mean it)! I appreciated what you had to say also. I know all about getting emotional and acting on it sometimes-then feeling bad and feeling like I need to call that person back right away-and then they usually don't remember what I did and wonder what I'm apologizing for!
    I am not offended that easily and when I make friends(even though my correspondence is horrible),they are pretty much friends for life!
    I am sorry that you had the disturbing news-anything you'd like to or feel like you can share?
  • Moopy23
    Options

I'm sorry!
    Moopy,
    That wasn't what happened at all!! I didn't thank you because I had responded before I saw your post! But now I thank you and not because I feel obligated either(seriously!!-I try not to do anything if I don't mean it)! I appreciated what you had to say also. I know all about getting emotional and acting on it sometimes-then feeling bad and feeling like I need to call that person back right away-and then they usually don't remember what I did and wonder what I'm apologizing for!
    I am not offended that easily and when I make friends(even though my correspondence is horrible),they are pretty much friends for life!
    I am sorry that you had the disturbing news-anything you'd like to or feel like you can share?

Patty, Tasha, and CR
    Your supportive and loving messages make me cry. I am so grateful for your understanding and ashamed of myself.

My news is not a recurrence but something that was missed earlier and changes my radiation treatments. Joe thought we would see more curveballs--guess I wasn't expecting one so soon. But I will grow stronger and more optimistic again with you all behind me.

Thank you my friends and sisters.

Moopy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Patty, Tasha, and CR
    Your supportive and loving messages make me cry. I am so grateful for your understanding and ashamed of myself.

My news is not a recurrence but something that was missed earlier and changes my radiation treatments. Joe thought we would see more curveballs--guess I wasn't expecting one so soon. But I will grow stronger and more optimistic again with you all behind me.

Moopy

Oh, NO... Moopy, sweetheart... :-(
    Oh, dear friend... I just got here, and feel awful. After a good appointment in St. Louis, now this, and you're back on the frickin' roller coaster. (Gosh dammit!) I'm so sorry for whatever it is. It's OK to be emotional. Please, no need to be ashamed. It's US - we understand. You're feeling enough emotion right now - no need, please, to add shame. Oh, honey...

Extra special hopes & prayers your way, dear Moopy. With hugs.

Kind regards, xo Susan
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Patty, Tasha, and CR

Moopy

Love to You, Moopy
    Hi Moopy,

Just wanted to tell you how much I love and appreciate you. I'm sorry for the curveball...one more challenge, eh? To be colloquial, "That sucks bigtime."

I'm having an emotional day too, but it's just pain and exhaustion.

Hang in there, friend. I admire you so much.

Much love,
    Debi
  • fauxma
    fauxma Member Posts: 3,577 Member
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Patty, Tasha, and CR

Moopy

Moopy,
    I am so sorry that

Moopy,
    I am so sorry that there is anything in the path of your treatment. You are one of our very favorite gals and Aortus one of fav guys. I can't think of a time that you have ever done anything to offend anyone. You are like a shining, smiling beacon. I hate curveballs but they can be hit out of the park also. So hit that curveball into the parking lot.
    I know what you mean about sensitive moments. I don't seem to be having them much this time, but just after I did my radiation for uterine cancer. I also had a major chemical imbalance that put me into a horrid depression. I went on meds for a couple of years and gradually everything swing back in place. This time I had a two day horridly down time and then everything snapped back into place like a rubber band. I think that I dealt with all of the fear, etc the first time. ANd then there has been bladder cancer and skin cancer in between so I really don't let it get to me. I am actually very lucky. All of these have been caught early, are treatable and have a relatively good prognosis.
    And remember crying washes our soul and cleans our heads so go ahead and cry. I'll cry with you.
    Stef
  • phoenixrising
    phoenixrising Member Posts: 1,508
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

I Am Sorry

This is awful!! I've been
    This is awful!! I've been wondering where you've been hiding. I am so sorry about your news. Maybe when you're ready you'll share it with us. At this stage of the game I think it's normal to feel sensitive and emotional. I'm glad you were able to say how you felt.
    You and Joe are so well loved here I hope you can feel it. Now come over here and get your hug :)
  • sausageroll
    sausageroll Member Posts: 415
    Options
    CR1954 said:

I had.......
    I had a chest x-ray, bone scan, PET scan and MRI before my surgery. Those were all ordered by my surgeon.
    My onc ordered a MUGA scan before I started chemo.
    I have since had another MRI on the other breast. And my onc ordered another MUGA scan, since completing all of my chemo, except for the Herceptin that I get.

CR

Moopy, I'm very sorry for whatever bad news that you got. I wish I could help in some way.
    Whatever your distress, I will keep you in my prayers.

Sorry!
    I'm sorry you had difficult news today. Will it extend your radiation? Take care and update us.
  • dyaneb123
    dyaneb123 Member Posts: 950
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

I Am Sorry

My docs have prescribed
    My docs have prescribed every test known to man including a Doppler for my arm and a MUGE before my chemo starts.But my insurence pays for it all so no problema, the more the merrier....

Moopy,You have such a beautiful smile and I was thrilled the first time you responded to one of my posts. I just want to say that as a newbie I wasn't sure if I should respond to every post individually or just a group thanks. I'm afraid I have neglected to respond to a lot of of you guys who have been so helpful with my many inquiries.Some of you have been to "there"
    for every notion that crosses my admittedly overstimulated mind....so let me thank you guys...
    especially.. Kat,and Cats Toy, Jan, Tasha, Re ,Susan, Moopy, Debbie, Mimi, Donna, Gitta, Surf,Claudia,CR,Crazylady,Eil ,Rjjj,OutdoorG,Montero,Sunny,Kathi,Jackie,TommaSenna,Babe,Rita,Julie,Jackie,Marcia ...............OMG who did I leave out??????
    Dee
  • Marcia527
    Marcia527 Member Posts: 2,729
    Options
    Moopy23 said:

Patty, Tasha, and CR

Moopy

I know how you feel
    My surgeon at first said I'd only need four cycles of chemo before surgery and than radiation after. So after number 4 cycle I was happy and full of 'lets get this over' feeling. Than after surgery he said I'd need 4 more cycles and I was so depressed that I couldn't finish my physical therapy. I told them I just couldn't do both and I just quit. I drug myself to that 1st chemo after surgery. The only way I made it through was I asked for an angel to come with me. Big disappointment. Hang in there.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

My docs have prescribed
    My docs have prescribed every test known to man including a Doppler for my arm and a MUGE before my chemo starts.But my insurence pays for it all so no problema, the more the merrier....

Moopy,You have such a beautiful smile and I was thrilled the first time you responded to one of my posts. I just want to say that as a newbie I wasn't sure if I should respond to every post individually or just a group thanks. I'm afraid I have neglected to respond to a lot of of you guys who have been so helpful with my many inquiries.Some of you have been to "there"
    for every notion that crosses my admittedly overstimulated mind....so let me thank you guys...
    especially.. Kat,and Cats Toy, Jan, Tasha, Re ,Susan, Moopy, Debbie, Mimi, Donna, Gitta, Surf,Claudia,CR,Crazylady,Eil ,Rjjj,OutdoorG,Montero,Sunny,Kathi,Jackie,TommaSenna,Babe,Rita,Julie,Jackie,Marcia ...............OMG who did I leave out??????
    Dee

LOL, I think you should say
    LOL, I think you should say thanks to everyone. Much, much easier. LOL

Talking about tests, I'm glad your oncologist ordered the MUGA test. That determines if your heart is healthy enough to withstand the adriamycin you will be getting. One of the worst side effects of adriamycin is congestive heart failure, so if your heart is healthy, you shouldn't have a problem. Unfortunately, as with everything else, there are side effects with everything. Even though I was 47 when I started chemo, my oncologist ordered a battery of tests also, just to make sure I was ok to go through chemo. Hugs, Lili
  • outdoorgirl
    Options
    dyaneb123 said:

My docs have prescribed

Dee

Doppler?
    Dee,
    What is a doppler? Never heard of that before!