BRCA 1 and Ovarian cancer

Linn1
Linn1 Member Posts: 47
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi-
I posted on breast cancer discussion board too...not sure where this belongs!
I am a 50 year old surviving 1 year from stage 4 ovarian cancer. Recently, I was tested for the BRCA 1 & 2 gene. I am positive for BRCA 1. Both my oncologist and internist want me to begin tamoxifen. Unfortuantely, I am one of those patients with many allergies to both food and meds - so, I'm uncomfortable with beginning a new med, especially one that seems to be used more for BRCA 2. This past year has been brutal beyond words...I just felt like I was slowly regaining my life.
I am in the process of seeking a second opinion but in the mean time wondered if anyone else had info. Also, they just found an enlarged lymph node on the breast MRI, so I'm back to the breast oncologist.

I'm open to suggestions.

Comments

• BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Welcome
    Hi Linn, I am sure you will get lots of responses :-) I am BRCA2 and have not taken any drugs for that, but then I have never been off chemo long enough to think about it. What I do is get checked every 6months for breast cancer. You will find that some women have preventive masectomy to getting checked every 6 months. Glad you are getting a second opinion, it sure can't hurt. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    BonnieR said:

Welcome
    Hi Linn, I am sure you will get lots of responses :-) I am BRCA2 and have not taken any drugs for that, but then I have never been off chemo long enough to think about it. What I do is get checked every 6months for breast cancer. You will find that some women have preventive masectomy to getting checked every 6 months. Glad you are getting a second opinion, it sure can't hurt. Hugs ♥ Prayers Bonnie

BRCA
    Hi
    I am also BRCA2 and chose to have the PBM (prophylactic masectomy). My oncologist gave me options such as screening, chemo drugs or PBM. He then asked me to speak to a genetic counselor before making my decision. A genetic counselor will look at all of your family history and be able to give you a better picture of what your chances of breast cancer is based on your personal and family history. Everyone is different. Because of my ovarian cancer and family history my odds were the highest for having breast cancer. Yours may not be but a geneticist can help. There are many genetic counselors out there and as with doctors, some are good and some...not so much! Good luck and I hope that you are able to find a solution that you and your body can handle!
    Jami
  • Linn1
    Linn1 Member Posts: 47
    Ovarian Cancer, BRCA 1, lymph nodes
    Thank you for your reply. Tomorrow I should have results regarding the lymph nodes. The docs suggested but did not confirm (yet) that it is cancerous. I'm scared...somehow, I thought I could prepare myself to hear those words again, but I can't. I don't want to hear it. I appreciate your thoughts.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Me 2
    Linn,

I too am BRACA 2 positive. And will have MRI and Mammogram screening (every 6 months alternating).

After genetic counseling, my oncologist has put me on Evista. I have yet to start it. We just got back from Salvo, NC after a week on the beach! I did not want to start a new med.

Keep us posted.

Libby