Aromacin side effects

Options
Texylin
Texylin Member Posts: 43
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Hi Everyone. I haven't posted in a long while but I need some input. I read the posts almost everyday to keep up with everyone. I've been coming to this board since 2003 and was very active for a long time. I had dcis with 2 small invasive tumors, had a mastectomy, reconstruction and put on tomoxifen. I was clean for 4 yrs and it came back as a pluaral effussion in my rite lung. I had 6 months of taxotere, put on femara, remission for 1 yr and it came back. I had 4 months of avastin and abraxane and put on aromacin. Doc said my ct's showed no signs of the tumors on my lung, but then always reminds me that it is metatastic and will come back. I've been on aromacin for about 6 weeks now with bone pain in feet, legs and hands which I was kind of expecting. I've also had diarrea for about 26 days. They have done cultures and not found anything wrong. I had looked it up online and suposedly only 5 to 12% of people on aromacin get diarrea. Primary doc is going to put me on meds to control it. Problem is the my oncologist wants me to stop the aromacin for awhile to see if it is the aromacin and that really scares me. I just wanted to know if anyone else has experienced that side effect. I think there is only arimidex left and since I'm stage 4, I'm going to run out of options pretty soon. Thanks for your help.

Linda

Comments

• Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Hello, Linda!
    I joined this group just a little while ago, so - nice to "meet" you! I'm so sorry for your recurrence and the mets, while very glad you ARE surviving.

Regarding Arimidex - I've now been taking it for 3+ years and still counting. Prior, did 2 years of Tamoxifen (no side effects). I have just about every darned side effect possible from the Arimidex - but, not diarrhea.

I certainly understand your concern about stopping the Arimidex. But, if your primary care thinks that meds could control the diarrhea - I'm confused as to why your onc would like you to stop for a while? For how long? Just a couple of days? Or, weeks?

Sorry I couldn't really help much. Best wishes to you, Linda.

Kind regards, Susan
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Hi Texylin,
    I'm also stage

Hi Texylin,
    I'm also stage IV and I would listen to my onc. if I trust him/her. Having diarrhea for so long has to take it's toll on your system. I have not been on that particular drug, so I can't help you there, I'm sorry. There are so many new treatments being approved even as we speak. Don't give up and think that you're running out of drugs or time. Talk with your onc. and if he is telling you that you're running out of options, get a second opinion.
    You're worth it. I have mets to my vertebrea and my lung. We are trying tamoxifen but I have my doubts as to whether it is working. I've got to wait until my tests in Aug.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and Gentle Hugs,
    Donna
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Hi Linda, glad you posted.
    Hi Linda, glad you posted. I'm on arimidex, but did read up that one of the side effects is diarrhea and muscle and joint pain. Can you try glucosamine for the joint pain or maybe an aleve? Ask the oncologist. Gentle hugs and glad to see you back. Lili