Mifepristone may halt progression of extensively metastatic human adenocarcinoma of the colon - case

Options
Felixthecat
Felixthecat Member Posts: 37
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
This recently published finding might be of interest to those with advanced colon cancer. This case report indicates very favourable results:

Anticancer Res. 2009 May;29(5):1611-3.

Mifepristone may halt progression of extensively metastatic human adenocarcinoma of the colon - case report.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19443374?ordinalpos=1&itool=EntrezSystem2.PEntrez.Pubmed.Pubmed_ResultsPanel.Pubmed_DefaultReportPanel.Pubmed_RVDocSum

Check JH, Dix E, Sansoucie L, Check D.

BACKGROUND: Mifepristone, a progesterone receptor antagonist has been found to improve the length and quality of life in various spontaneous murine cancer models including tumors without progesterone receptors theoretically by inhibiting an immunomodulatory protein that suppresses natural killer cell function in the tumor microenvironment. MATERIALS AND METHODS: Mifepristone 200 mg per day by mouth was given to two patients with stage 4 colon cancer with extensive metastases. RESULTS: Both patients not only survived far longer than expected but had marked improvement in their quality of life similar to mice. Though the metastatic lesions did not disappear, no new ones appeared for a long time and the ones present did not grow. The drug was extremely well tolerated. CONCLUSION: The use of progesterone receptor antagonists may present a novel immunotherapy to help fight cancer. A larger controlled study is needed.

Comments

• bdee
    bdee Member Posts: 304
    Options
    Article
    Wish I could understand all those words. I'll look at the article and see if it tells me anything.
  • angelsbaby
    angelsbaby Member Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    bdee said:

Article
    Wish I could understand all those words. I'll look at the article and see if it tells me anything.

News
    I saw that yesterday I hope it does work for the people like angel who needed a miracle.

michelle
  • Felixthecat
    Felixthecat Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Safe drug to use and little to no toxicity - a big PLUS
    Another good thing about the drug is that is has a very good safety profile. It's been used in the same dose (200mg daily) by meningioma patients for up to 14 years. It's no-where near as toxic as chemotherapeutic drugs.

Certainly for those with advanced colon cancer it would beneficial to trial before additional colon surgery or before the existing cancer spreads to the brain and other vital organs. Some try and all the readily available treatment options and still don't make it so another viable and safe drug to use is a big PLUS for those patients.

This new findings stems from their earlier reserach indicating the drug's potential to treat a variety of cancers irrespective of progesterone receptor status:

Evidence that progesterone receptor antagonists may help in the treatment of a variety of cancers by locally suppressing natural killer cell activity.
    http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18225679
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Righty-O

This just shows that there is always something new on the horizon.