2»

Comments

• Primavera
    Primavera Member Posts: 231 Member
    edited November 2020 #22
    Options
    Bob C said:

nausea with taxol

Hi,  My wife has had 8 treatments with taxol and the nausea is constant.  We have all the meds but nothing seems to help.  They did a brain MRI today just to be safe.  Anyone else have this problem and if so, did you find anything that helped the nausea.   She has always been very receptive to the side effects of all meds, even to OTC ones.  thanks in advance

Nausea

I take what my doctor has given me: Ondansetron (Zofran?), 1 tab by mouth every 8 hours for 3 days after chemo; but I've really haven't done it religiously. Sometimes I take one a day and I'm OK. I do try to stay away from the kitchen or any food smells. I feel like that triggers nausea.

I have another prescription that I've never opened, to take if nausea continues three days after chemo. I think these pills give you constipation, so I try not to overdo it.

Friends from the office have sent me these candies for pregnant women called Queasy Drops. Once, when I got nauseous after port surgery, I sucked on one of those candies for a long while and it took it away. I don't like the ginger ones, but I think it's ginger that helps the most.

I've read (a lot!) that eating watermelon helps; people highly endorse watermelon. I've never tried it.

Some people have tried ginger cookies from Trader Joe's. Some people suck on a popsickle or ice chips.

The three drugs that I've read about the most at this site are: Emend, Zofran and Compazine. I don't know which one your wife has been given. I remember copying this here, when I was getting ready for chemo.

-----
    The three common anti nausea meds - Emend, Zofran and Compazine work differently in the body...
    Emend is a wonder drug--it works on the vomiting center in the brain.
    Zofran works on receptor sites in the stomach.
    Compazine is for breakthrough nausea.
    ------
    I'm glad I took Emend for nausea, they call it the miracle drug, very expensive 3 pills cost the insurance 360.00. Made by Merck. My copayment was 6.00.
    ------
    See if your mother's doctor will prescribe Emend which prevents nausea and vomiting.  It's normally given in pill form, but I got it approved to be put in my port before my chemo was started each time, as the pill form was going to be too expensive with my insurance.  I had the pill form with a different insurance back in 2010.  I've never had nausea and vomiting. 

• Chamberlaindla
    Chamberlaindla Member Posts: 1
    edited January 2021 #23
    Options

Hi Murphy

Murphy,

I had to say hello from a fellow recently diagnosed TN. I was diagnosed this spring and just finished chemo two weeks ago, so I really feel where you are right now. It sounds like you are on the same treatment path as I am: chemo, surgery, radiation. I just wanted you to know, if I can make it through chemo, you can too. I will also share one thing my oncologist said that helped me out a lot. It's not at all like what you've seen in the movies. Hollywood makes it look horrible, because it's Hollywood. It is not as bad as you fear. And doing this through COVID is scary, because you think you will be alone, but you won't. Nurses in general are amazing, but chemo nurses are off the charts special. They will understand how hard it is to be alone, and if you're lucky like me, you will end this yucky chapter with some amazing friends. 

There are a lot of people on this board so much further along and more knowledgeable than me, but please know I'm here, too. We triple negatives have to stick together, right? Youre stronger than you know. Please keep us posted and know I'm happy to be there any time for you. This is scary, so having friends on the same path is such a help.

Sending you a virtual hug,

Kristen

Triple Negative

I am starting Chemo on Friday.  After reading some of the posts, at least I know what to look for.  I am in Stage 1, it is treatable, and curable. I am PRAYING for GOD to see me thru all of this.  I can't LIVE in fear, I have to TRUST that I can get thru it to remission.

Thanks for what you shared, I listened.

• Gaucha
    Gaucha Member Posts: 3
    edited February 2021 #24
    Options

Triple Negative

I am starting Chemo on Friday.  After reading some of the posts, at least I know what to look for.  I am in Stage 1, it is treatable, and curable. I am PRAYING for GOD to see me thru all of this.  I can't LIVE in fear, I have to TRUST that I can get thru it to remission.

Thanks for what you shared, I listened.

TNBC

Hi I also had Triple Negative breast cancer. I finished all my treatment July 2019 and came onto the forum for hair growth tips. Praying for you and God is with us even through all our trials.

• McSherryWeber
    McSherryWeber Member Posts: 1
    edited February 2021 #25
    Options
    TNBC 5 months out swelling and pain under lymph node incisions

Greetings all,  I had stage 1 TNBC elected a lumpectomy after chemo.  I had the red devil every 2 weeks for 4 treatments then taxol every week for 12 weeks. Then the lumpectomy and what was supposed to be a sentinal node biopsy but the surgeon removed 2 lymphnodes. 

Now 5 months later the area under the lymph node removal scar towards the breast tissue is becoming hard and painful.  In one month I go for the 6 month diagnostic mammogram and am freaking a little...  I can feel the firmness but it is not like a lump more like a ridge. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

PS after chemo there was no cancer on the mri ?but my onc pushed for the surgery and radiation.  The onc said 30 treatments over 6 weeks to just clean up.  The radiation oncologist upped the power and shortened it to 19 treatments.  I became ill after each treatment and each time a little sicker....I only took 6 treatments. I got a bad rash on my scalp with the chemo. I  thought the chemoreally kicked the cancer.

I did the ice on my feet and hands during taxol the balls of my feet are numb and my big toe nails have lifter towards the tips.

• Minreau
    Minreau Member Posts: 3
    Options
    Capecitabine (Xeloda)

I had a question about capecitabine (Xeloda). My mother did Taxol and Carboplatin for her TNBC (right breast). She couldn't finish all the prescribed sessions because she had to go to the hospital after session 7 and 8. Then she did 2 sessions of AC and couldn't finish the last two sessions because she ended up in the hospital again (because of low red and white blood cells - even though they gave her a shot that's supposed to boost them). Then after that she had surgery to remove a 7 cm tumor! The lymph nodes they took out didn't show cancer. Now she is almost finished with radiation and the oncologist wants her to take Xeloda afterwards for 6 months - 4 pills in the morning and 3 at night. I can't recall the dosage. Doesn't this seem a little excessive or is it standard procedure? I should also mention that after my mother finishes Xeloda the oncologist suggested my mother takes some kind of hormonal pills for an indefinite amount of time. But aren't hormonal pills for breast cancers that aren't TNBC? Also the Xeloda is making me nervous, seeing as how my mother ended up in the hospital three times during her chemo treatments.

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    Options
    Minreau said:

Capecitabine (Xeloda)

I had a question about capecitabine (Xeloda). My mother did Taxol and Carboplatin for her TNBC (right breast). She couldn't finish all the prescribed sessions because she had to go to the hospital after session 7 and 8. Then she did 2 sessions of AC and couldn't finish the last two sessions because she ended up in the hospital again (because of low red and white blood cells - even though they gave her a shot that's supposed to boost them). Then after that she had surgery to remove a 7 cm tumor! The lymph nodes they took out didn't show cancer. Now she is almost finished with radiation and the oncologist wants her to take Xeloda afterwards for 6 months - 4 pills in the morning and 3 at night. I can't recall the dosage. Doesn't this seem a little excessive or is it standard procedure? I should also mention that after my mother finishes Xeloda the oncologist suggested my mother takes some kind of hormonal pills for an indefinite amount of time. But aren't hormonal pills for breast cancers that aren't TNBC? Also the Xeloda is making me nervous, seeing as how my mother ended up in the hospital three times during her chemo treatments.

Treatment

Hi,  I’m sorry you and your Mom   had to endure so much...For me I chose the treatments I felt I was able to do after much research.  I think your Mom at this point knows in her heart what is Best for her.  I wish you good luck and kind people on this journey.

• Phoebesnow
    Phoebesnow Member Posts: 600 Member
    edited June 2021 #28
    Options

TNBC 5 months out swelling and pain under lymph node incisions

Greetings all,  I had stage 1 TNBC elected a lumpectomy after chemo.  I had the red devil every 2 weeks for 4 treatments then taxol every week for 12 weeks. Then the lumpectomy and what was supposed to be a sentinal node biopsy but the surgeon removed 2 lymphnodes. 

Now 5 months later the area under the lymph node removal scar towards the breast tissue is becoming hard and painful.  In one month I go for the 6 month diagnostic mammogram and am freaking a little...  I can feel the firmness but it is not like a lump more like a ridge. 

Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Thanks

PS after chemo there was no cancer on the mri ?but my onc pushed for the surgery and radiation.  The onc said 30 treatments over 6 weeks to just clean up.  The radiation oncologist upped the power and shortened it to 19 treatments.  I became ill after each treatment and each time a little sicker....I only took 6 treatments. I got a bad rash on my scalp with the chemo. I  thought the chemoreally kicked the cancer.

I did the ice on my feet and hands during taxol the balls of my feet are numb and my big toe nails have lifter towards the tips.

TNBC

How are you?