ginger for nausea

Options
kayandok
kayandok Member Posts: 1,202 Member
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi everyone, I just heard a news report that stated that ginger caps (with real ginger) taken 3 days before chemo can bring down nausea. I have extreme nausea after cisplatin/gemzar for 4 days, throwing up every two hours. The steriods and anti-nausea don't seem to work and I have tried alternates for both of those. (One cycle I stopped all of it and there wasn't much difference...) Anyone tried ginger before chemo? I am game to do anything...

Fortunately, my WBC/RBC do fine and I have been on schedule for 5 cycles every 21 days. 3 more to go!

Any input welcome,
Kathleen:)

Comments

• arbor3
    arbor3 Member Posts: 103
    Options
    GINGER FOR NAUSEA
    HII DRANK GINGER TEA FOR MY FIRST ROUND OF CHEMO, WHICH WAS TAXOL/CARBO. THE TAXOL/CARBO MADE ME NAUSEAOUS BUT THE GINGER TEA HELPED.  THE STRONGER YOU CAN DRINK IT THE BETTER IT WORKS, I ALSO ATE TRISCIT CRACKERS WHICH HELPED.  ALSO GATOR AID HELPED ME, GET THE (G2) HAS LESS SUGAR AND SODIUM. MY PRAYS ARE WITH YOU AND I HOPE SOMETHING HELPS.

HUGS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!DINORA
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    Seems harmless
    I can't see that trying it would do any harm....Maybe Chinese medicine which works for lots of symptoms. I sure would try it. Good to hear from you, Kathleen. God Bless.... Saundra
  • ColleenN
    ColleenN Member Posts: 73
    Options
    Ginger
    I can't say for sure if it helped or not, but I took ginger capsules all through my chemo treatment, and I had very little trouble with nausea. I take it regularly for its anti-inflamatory effect, so it was already in my system. It's also good for digestion!
  • christianchickcher
    christianchickcher Member Posts: 26
    Options
    Ginger
    I was talking to my uncle the other day and he was telling about this ginger candy he used to buy my aunt because she liked it. The store owner asked if he was buying it for a chemo patient-said it was popular among them. He said he is going to try to get me some. Hope it helps. I also found out yesterday that I may not have gotten so sick, but they overlooked giving me a script for dexamethasone.
  • Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options

Ginger
    I was talking to my uncle the other day and he was telling about this ginger candy he used to buy my aunt because she liked it. The store owner asked if he was buying it for a chemo patient-said it was popular among them. He said he is going to try to get me some. Hope it helps. I also found out yesterday that I may not have gotten so sick, but they overlooked giving me a script for dexamethasone.

Ginger
    I di not have chemo, but I used to take ginger capsules to help with digestion and nausea. They worked great except they had a way of backing up and burning..I guess heartburn. The gatorade worked a lot better for me. Cindy
  • newhopechurchli
    newhopechurchli Member Posts: 126
    Options
    Cindy54 said:

Ginger
    I di not have chemo, but I used to take ginger capsules to help with digestion and nausea. They worked great except they had a way of backing up and burning..I guess heartburn. The gatorade worked a lot better for me. Cindy

ginger..
    I heard the same thing. I did not try it but someone at my chemo suite did and she bragged about it!
  • kayandok
    Options

ginger..
    I heard the same thing. I did not try it but someone at my chemo suite did and she bragged about it!

ginger
    Thanks gals for all the input. I actually forgot to do the ginger for 3 days before chemo last time but will definietely do it next time. It is so bad for me that I start throwing up before even going to the hospital. I guess the brain remembers the trauma and reacts, although I don't really feel "traumatized" by all the throwing up at all. Very strange. But good news is that last time, I got out one day early. Only stayed 3 nights instead of 4. Then, when I come home, breath in all the fresh air on my deck, all the nausea lifts. I don't have any again until I start heading to the hospital. Oh well, it should be over soon. I think I will do two more cycles, still haven't heard the final word. I just finished 6 cycles (cisplatin/gemzar). Latest Ca was 16, which is a good number, but doc would like to see it go below 10, of-course....
    Take care,
    kathleen :)
  • saundra
    saundra Member Posts: 1,370 Member
    Options
    kayandok said:

ginger
    Thanks gals for all the input. I actually forgot to do the ginger for 3 days before chemo last time but will definietely do it next time. It is so bad for me that I start throwing up before even going to the hospital. I guess the brain remembers the trauma and reacts, although I don't really feel "traumatized" by all the throwing up at all. Very strange. But good news is that last time, I got out one day early. Only stayed 3 nights instead of 4. Then, when I come home, breath in all the fresh air on my deck, all the nausea lifts. I don't have any again until I start heading to the hospital. Oh well, it should be over soon. I think I will do two more cycles, still haven't heard the final word. I just finished 6 cycles (cisplatin/gemzar). Latest Ca was 16, which is a good number, but doc would like to see it go below 10, of-course....
    Take care,

Good for you
    I am so glad to hear the drop in you counts. Keep it up and let us know about the ginger..Saundra
  • seably
    seably Member Posts: 29
    Options
    ginger for nausea
    Hello to all teal warriors
    I am new to this site.
    I was dx with ovarian cancer stage 3 in March 2009 with uterian cancer stage 1.
    I've had the typical debulking sx that many of you have had and now am doing chemo: IV taxol with IP cisplatin & IP taxol. So far so good with only minor side effects although nausea is a problem.
    Friends and family have also suggested that I try ginger capsules to ward off nausea, problem is no one says how many capsules to take. Can anyone suggest how many capsules and when to take them?
    Thanks for any info
  • kayandok
    Options
    seably said:

ginger for nausea
    Hello to all teal warriors
    I am new to this site.
    I was dx with ovarian cancer stage 3 in March 2009 with uterian cancer stage 1.
    I've had the typical debulking sx that many of you have had and now am doing chemo: IV taxol with IP cisplatin & IP taxol. So far so good with only minor side effects although nausea is a problem.
    Friends and family have also suggested that I try ginger capsules to ward off nausea, problem is no one says how many capsules to take. Can anyone suggest how many capsules and when to take them?
    Thanks for any info

ginger
    Hi Seably, and welcome to the board. So sorry you had to come here. I read an article in the newspaper about the ginger and so there is not any detailed info. In the article, they state that ginger for 3 days before starting the chemo can help. I plan on buying fresh ginger (we have a lot of here in Japan) and loading up on it three times a day before chemo and see how it goes this next cycle. I don't think I could stomach any kind of pill while in the extreme nausea phase. I'm sure the pharmacy person could give you details on the dosage if you were to use the pills.

Sorry, I am not much help.

Take care and let us know how you are doing,
  • seably
    Options
    kayandok said:

ginger
    Hi Seably, and welcome to the board. So sorry you had to come here. I read an article in the newspaper about the ginger and so there is not any detailed info. In the article, they state that ginger for 3 days before starting the chemo can help. I plan on buying fresh ginger (we have a lot of here in Japan) and loading up on it three times a day before chemo and see how it goes this next cycle. I don't think I could stomach any kind of pill while in the extreme nausea phase. I'm sure the pharmacy person could give you details on the dosage if you were to use the pills.

Sorry, I am not much help.

Take care and let us know how you are doing,

ginger for nausea
    Thanks Kathleen for your prompt reply.
    I guess I'll try a few capsules a day for 3 days prior my next chemo & see what happens.

I'll be keeping in touch :)
    Stacey
  • jamilou
    jamilou Member Posts: 200
    Options
    seably said:

ginger for nausea
    Thanks Kathleen for your prompt reply.
    I guess I'll try a few capsules a day for 3 days prior my next chemo & see what happens.

I'll be keeping in touch :)
    Stacey

Ginger capsules
    Stacey
    I took ginger to ward off sea sickness. I bought the sailors friend online and the directions said to take 3 capsules every 4 hours. Hope it helps.
    Jami
  • seably
    Options
    jamilou said:

Ginger capsules
    Stacey
    I took ginger to ward off sea sickness. I bought the sailors friend online and the directions said to take 3 capsules every 4 hours. Hope it helps.
    Jami

ginger
    Hi Jamilou,
    Thanks for your reply. Sounds like a lot off capsules...good thing I bought a BIG bottle!
    Take care,
    Stacey