My first Rad Day

Options
luckyfl
luckyfl Member Posts: 42
edited March 2014 in Head and Neck Cancer #1
Well, finally all my small partial soft palate surgery is cover with new soft tissues and ,it give the rad doc the okay to start my tx.
Yesterday was my first day, little nervouse but very confident in my team and in the "Trilogy Machine" that will do the job.The mask was little tight at first since it was made a month ago but i felt better today as my second day.
My rad took only 3 to 4 minutes ,i can hear the sound when it delivers but it take a total of 10 minutes for the prep ,,,not bad!!.
I will have this tx for 7 weeks 5x weekly ,let see how it is by the 3rd week with the sores ,blisters or burns in that area were the rad goes( posterior left soft palate).
Ill keep posted.
Roxie

Comments

• Remount2000
    Remount2000 Member Posts: 3
    Options
    2nd week of radation
    My uncle is in his second week of radiation. He says he doesn't hurt, but I think that he is wrong. I had to make him use the magic mouthwash along with his pain meds. He is cooperating. I am wondering if he is really having trouble swallowing. He wants to eat things and he says that it gets hung up in his throat. I guess I am trying to find someone to help me as I go through this with him. The doctor said that he is beginning to burn in the mouth and this was a little earlier than expected.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

2nd week of radation
    My uncle is in his second week of radiation. He says he doesn't hurt, but I think that he is wrong. I had to make him use the magic mouthwash along with his pain meds. He is cooperating. I am wondering if he is really having trouble swallowing. He wants to eat things and he says that it gets hung up in his throat. I guess I am trying to find someone to help me as I go through this with him. The doctor said that he is beginning to burn in the mouth and this was a little earlier than expected.

Why would you wonder if he is really having trouble swallowing? Do you think he would lie about that? I'm sure if he says it, it's true. The actual radiation treatment does not hurt. The side effects that the radiation causes can be painful.

I lost my taste after five treatments. I could not eat at all by mouth after ten. I tried hard to force myself that Friday and Saturday, then Sunday was my last meal by mouth. I had to use the peg tube by that Monday, which was treatment day number eleven.

Hopefully you know about the baking soda, salt and water rinse, as well as the l-Glutamine to help with mouth issues. Also make sure you are using something like aquafor or radiaplex from the beginning to help with neck burning.

Please check out the HNC Superthread on the first page of this board it will help you with your caregiver role. It provides many helpful links to frequently asked questions. Please feel free to post here any time, day or night, there is usually someone here to answer.

Welcome, wishing your uncle, and you the best.
  • Remount2000
    Remount2000 Member Posts: 3
    Options

Why would you wonder if he is really having trouble swallowing? Do you think he would lie about that? I'm sure if he says it, it's true. The actual radiation treatment does not hurt. The side effects that the radiation causes can be painful.

I lost my taste after five treatments. I could not eat at all by mouth after ten. I tried hard to force myself that Friday and Saturday, then Sunday was my last meal by mouth. I had to use the peg tube by that Monday, which was treatment day number eleven.

Hopefully you know about the baking soda, salt and water rinse, as well as the l-Glutamine to help with mouth issues. Also make sure you are using something like aquafor or radiaplex from the beginning to help with neck burning.

Please check out the HNC Superthread on the first page of this board it will help you with your caregiver role. It provides many helpful links to frequently asked questions. Please feel free to post here any time, day or night, there is usually someone here to answer.

Welcome, wishing your uncle, and you the best.

sweetblood22
    Yes I do think that he would lie, because he is trying to be strong. Yes too, I have been told by the physicians that the treatment itself doesn't hurt, it is the side affects. I am looking for some positive information, and not looking to get my feeling hurt by trying to understand about this treatment while I am helping him to cope. You really can't help a person if they don't want to be helped. The doctor told him to stop trying to be a martyr, and tell the truth, because that is what is really going to make a difference.
  • sweetblood22
    sweetblood22 Member Posts: 3,228
    Options

sweetblood22
    Yes I do think that he would lie, because he is trying to be strong. Yes too, I have been told by the physicians that the treatment itself doesn't hurt, it is the side affects. I am looking for some positive information, and not looking to get my feeling hurt by trying to understand about this treatment while I am helping him to cope. You really can't help a person if they don't want to be helped. The doctor told him to stop trying to be a martyr, and tell the truth, because that is what is really going to make a difference.

Remount2000, I am very sorry if I have hurt your feelings, that wasn't my intent at all. I was trying to clarify whether he was saying he was in pain, or if he was saying he was not in pain. Wasn't sure which way you didn't belive him. TBH I'm still not sure and I apologize if I have upset you. I guess I'm not sure what you were trying to say. I apologize for being a nitwit and my lack of understanding. I wasn't trying to be mean or anything or upset you.

I truly just wanted to try and give you some helpful information.

Apologies,

Sweets
  • ToBeGolden
    ToBeGolden Member Posts: 695
    Options
    Some Hints?
    1) I asked the radiation techs to hold the mask by my face for a couple of seconds while I wiggled to get under it correctly. It usually took between 5 and 20 seconds. Then they locked the mask in place after I gave a thumbs up. Background: In the first few sessions, I found the mask tight but comfortable on some days and more uncomfortable on others. Having an opportunity to wiggle made it a better fit on days once I started doing that. Hope this makes sense and works for you.
    2) I took a short-acting narcotic every four hours. I was able to eat by mouth from 20 to 60 minutes after each dose of pain med. I am lucky in having had a very mild case, with no tumors in the mouth. Almost all of the tumor was confined to a vocal cord. So my experience might not be like most, or like yours.
    3) However, I would pay very close attention to what makes the pain worse and what makes it better. From the very start, try minimizing the discomfort, even while the discomfort is not all that great. I ended up with a very limited diet: Cream of Wheat, Yogurt, Glecerna (an Ensure-like drink for diabetics). And it would take over an hour to eat a carton of yogurt. I also drank warm water (much warmer than anyone would normally drink). I don't know what will work for you. But start paying attention and experimenting early.
    4) If you find you cannot eat, certainly opt for the PEG. I have (too) many friends with head/neck cancer; but they had be well served by the PEG. I did not need it, and I was able to maintain weight. But no two persons tumors are identical.
    5) Finally, you will be jealous of patients you meet in the waiting room who are near the end of their radiation session. Then you will be sad when these patients have finished and are no longer waiting with you. But the great surprise is that sooner than you think you will have less than 10 treatments to go. And you will be the expert to help the new radiation wait. That's how it goes.

I finished my (first and hopefully only)radiation sessions eight months ago. You will get through it; we all have.