2»

Comments

• djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Options
    Hi Kat11,
    My onc. told me to

Hi Kat11,
    My onc. told me to be careful around infants and toddlers that were getting vaccinations that were from a live vaccine - which is very rare these days. She said 24 hours after the vaccine, everything was fine unless the baby is running a fever. I was around my niece and other little ones in the neighborhood unless they were sick. Then I had them stay away. I had no problems at all. Enjoy those grandbabies!!!! You've earned it.

Love and Gentle Hugs,
    Donna
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Options
    Kat, I've never heard of
    Kat, I've never heard of that one. They do advise you to stay away from crowded places and if you have small children near you or visiting that they should wash their hands frequently. Also, if anyone is sick obviously they should not come to visit you. I was usually at the food store by 8 am where it was less crowded. I bought a tub of lysol wipes and wiped down the phone, keyboard, door knobs, etc. I picked up a cold once during treatment and was put on antibiotics immediately and was fine. Check with your onocologist but I;m sure he will tell you the same thing we all did. You'll be fine. Hugs, Lili
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options

Kat, I've never heard of
    Kat, I've never heard of that one. They do advise you to stay away from crowded places and if you have small children near you or visiting that they should wash their hands frequently. Also, if anyone is sick obviously they should not come to visit you. I was usually at the food store by 8 am where it was less crowded. I bought a tub of lysol wipes and wiped down the phone, keyboard, door knobs, etc. I picked up a cold once during treatment and was put on antibiotics immediately and was fine. Check with your onocologist but I;m sure he will tell you the same thing we all did. You'll be fine. Hugs, Lili

During chemo I could not
    During chemo I could not work because I teach disabled toddlers and work with families of disabled infants. I specifically asked about my toddler niece and the doc said just to skip the hugs and kisses when my white count was low. I agree with everyone else check with your doc but it sounds like you have just heard some more of the paranoia that we all run into.

Best of luck
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

To Kat11
    I'm just chiming in with everything else already posted here... The "other grandmother" is talking "old wives tales" or something, whatever... She's simply not correctly informed. No offense to her is meant here, whatsoever.

The patient does not pose a risk to others. While undergoing chemotherapy, the patient must take extreme precautions to avoid getting sick from others, and in general. Therefore, if you're having chemo and your grandkids have a cold - you should avoid them for a few days, until they're better. Exposure is a risk to YOU, not them.

By the way, for all breast cancer chemo (I can't speak to other types of cancer), the refuse from the chemo drugs is passed from the body via urine, and within about 48 hours or so. So, yes, immediately flushing the toilet (and who doesn't do that, anyway?!?) during those first few days after is important, especially around little kids AND pets who may play in (YUCK!) or drink (YUCK!) from the toilet. Hey, it happens. Also, of course, important for the patient to immediately wash their own hands after using the toilet (again, who doesn't already do that?!?).

Standard radiation also poses no risk to others. The newer technique, which is not yet widely available, wherein radioactive "seeds" are implanted may be different, I'm just not sure...

I sincerely hope we've all eliminated the nightmare, Kat11. Again, ask your own med onc & rad onc, specifically, for confirmation.

Kind regards, Susan

Grandma
    This is one grandmother speaking to another ... but it sounds to me like the "other" granny is off her rocker.

I'm not sure anything could keep me away from my grandsons (especially since I only see them twice a year) ... unless there was a danger I posed for them... and I really don't think your grandchildren are going to catch breast cancer from you .. or inhale chemicals from chemo ... or become radioactive by hugging you.

Old wives tales ... or whatever ... I'm sure your doctor will give you some words you can use to explain to granny that she doesn't have a clue what she's talking about. So there!

Photobucket

hugs.
    teena (aka "Nana")
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Ask for a copy of her Medical degree....
    Forty years ago, I was in the hosptial for 12 days after gall ballder surgery which used to be rugged. My first visitor, once I was well enough, was my mother-in-law, who proceeded to tell me about her lady friend, Mrs. Smith, whose gall bladder grew back. I became hysterical. It took the nurse and two doctors to calm me down. After explaining how my gall bladder could not grow back, one doctor gave me this advice...when someone gives you their medical opinion, ask to see their medical degree. Enough said. You're frightened enough without well meaning??? folks adding to your worries and your fears. Enjoy those children, but don't tire yourself out. Hugs, Marilynn
  • chenheart
    chenheart Member Posts: 5,159
    Options
    ((((((((((hug)))))) your kids!
    My former sister in law is a chemo RN, and she told me that whereas we do have to be aware of germs during chemotherapy, generally speaking, we are NOT adversely affected by the germs of our family members!!! The "rogue" germs in the supermarket,bank,movie theatres etc when our counts are low~now that's a different story!

Love your family! If they are visibly sick, with runny noses, sneezing and the like, well, of course use extra caution. The every day being around your children/grandchildren OMG! They give many of us reason to fight the Beast in the first place!

Hugs,
    Claudia
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    mgm42 said:

Ask for a copy of her Medical degree....
    Forty years ago, I was in the hosptial for 12 days after gall ballder surgery which used to be rugged. My first visitor, once I was well enough, was my mother-in-law, who proceeded to tell me about her lady friend, Mrs. Smith, whose gall bladder grew back. I became hysterical. It took the nurse and two doctors to calm me down. After explaining how my gall bladder could not grow back, one doctor gave me this advice...when someone gives you their medical opinion, ask to see their medical degree. Enough said. You're frightened enough without well meaning??? folks adding to your worries and your fears. Enjoy those children, but don't tire yourself out. Hugs, Marilynn

Marilynn - Good one!
    Love that - I'm going to not only remember it, but intend to USE it! Of course, I'll be polite... "Excuse me, but... where exactly did you go to medical school? Would you mind showing me your degree?" HA HA! So, thanks!

Kind regards, Susan
  • CR1954
    CR1954 Member Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Jadie said:

chemo
    Maby its according to what cancer and what chemo. I know that when I was pregnant my dads oncologist told me that when my baby was born and had her immunization shots that I would have to keep her away from him for 3 or 4 days. He had lymphomia and was doing chemo. We all know what chemo does to the immune system. Diseases can be picked up very easily. Sad to say that my dad passed away when my daughter was 6 days old. He never got to see her.

I think the only thing about rads again would be a weakened immune system. We just need to be cautious.

Hi Jadie....
    Hi Jadie, I'm very sorry about your Dad. That is very sad.

If the onc was talking about when your baby got her vaccinations, I think it's probably because some vaccines are "live" virus vaccines and some are "dead" vaccines. I know that the polio vaccines used to be live (not sure if they still are) and could be transmitted from baby to others for the first few days.
    Maybe that is what he meant...not sure.

And as much as I adore kids, they certainly can be a little cesspool of germs!! LOL!!

CR