question about chemo regimen

Options
worriedaboutmom
worriedaboutmom Member Posts: 31
edited March 2014 in Ovarian Cancer #1
Hi ladies! I just have a question about my mom's chemo regimen. She is taking Taxol/Carboplatin once a week for 3 weeks then a week break which equals a round. She has to complete 6 rounds(months). She is stage 4 and was extremely ill when she was diagnosed. I am just wondering why they are giving it to her this way instead of blasting her once every 21 days. She finished her first round and this past week was her break week. During the three weeks that she was receiving treatments, that pain and swelling in her abdomen went down and she felt a lot better. This week, she is feeling a little pain in her abdomen and is not feeling as good. Could the cancer grow in just a week? I feel that in her stage of cancer, letting her go 2 weeks in between treatments doesn't make sense? I feel like since they are breaking the dose into smaller weekly treatments, why does she need a week break? Is anyone familiar with this treatment/method? I'm just very afraid that the cancer is growing and not shrinking. She gets her ca-125 checked tuesday. Keeping my fingers crossed, her last number was 4000.
Thanks
Becky

Comments

• Kgirl
    Kgirl Member Posts: 45
    Options
    Had same schedule
    I also had this treatment schedule as I was having trouble with my blood counts and they were having to reduce my dose with the every-3-weeks treatment. The advantage with this schedule is that it has less of an impact on the bone marrow and you are actually getting a higher dose since each weekly dose is equivalent to 1/2 of a 3-week dose. There is some evidence that this dosing schedule may be more effective than the traditional one. If you need more info, just let me know.

Unfortunately I had to go on a still more modified dosing schedule (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). I had a history of reduced white blood counts and hypocellular bone marrow even before cancer. This, of course, complicates my chemotherapy.

I hope I answered some of your questions. I wish your mom the best and I hope that she will soon be feeling better. I will hold in my thoughts.

Kathy
  • BonnieR
    BonnieR Member Posts: 1,526 Member
    Options
    Drs have the answer
    Hi Becky, I am not sure why the Doctors chose one way over another. Please don't hesitate to ask your dr why they choose the once a week over every 3 weeks. I ask questions all the time.

Sending lots of prayers for you and your mom. Hugs Bonnie
  • LPack
    LPack Member Posts: 645
    Options
    schedules
    Becky,

I did not have treatment every three weeks either. I had treatment every 4 weeks and it was still hard on my bone marrow.

But like Bonnie said, just ask. My doctor told me in the beginning this is usually how she does her schedule with all her patients as it seemed to work better than the 21 days.

Libby
  • worriedaboutmom
    worriedaboutmom Member Posts: 31
    Options
    Kgirl said:

Had same schedule
    I also had this treatment schedule as I was having trouble with my blood counts and they were having to reduce my dose with the every-3-weeks treatment. The advantage with this schedule is that it has less of an impact on the bone marrow and you are actually getting a higher dose since each weekly dose is equivalent to 1/2 of a 3-week dose. There is some evidence that this dosing schedule may be more effective than the traditional one. If you need more info, just let me know.

Unfortunately I had to go on a still more modified dosing schedule (2 weeks on, 2 weeks off). I had a history of reduced white blood counts and hypocellular bone marrow even before cancer. This, of course, complicates my chemotherapy.

I hope I answered some of your questions. I wish your mom the best and I hope that she will soon be feeling better. I will hold in my thoughts.

Kathy

thanks kathy
    Thanks for your post. That makes sense to me. I was planning on asking the dr., but I always worry if the dr. is doing the best thing. After reading your post, I feel a lot better. Just want to make sure the dr. is on top of it!! Sorry about your complications, and I hope everything is going well for you. I will keep you in my prayers!
    Thanks again
    Becky
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator