Who all is done with chemo and on to rad?

Options
2»

Comments

• Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options

try massage
    has your doctor recommended lymphodema massage for the swelling? my rad.onc. sent me to a physical therapist for home care information, it is mostly massage and exercises. I will start rad. on May 11. The massage seems to help with the stiffness from my mast.surgery and the mild swelling I had in my hand is gone. I think there is an old thread here about lymphodema. Hope it helps

Even though it is the breast
    Even though it is the breast that is swollen.... not the arm?
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Jan_M said:

Even though it is the breast
    Even though it is the breast that is swollen.... not the arm?

Jan
    Your breast is swollen probably from the scar tissue. Ask your radiation oncologist. That is why mine got biggerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. lol I was like WOW...this is tooooooooo big lol And, they say it may go away..just takes time. I have heard of women that had a lot of tightness and needed massage therapy. I just put on more creme and it went away for me. Especially aquafor..it really helped a lot because it is so greasy and my skin just sucked it up. Have you tried that?
  • crazylady55
    crazylady55 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Jan
    Your breast is swollen probably from the scar tissue. Ask your radiation oncologist. That is why mine got biggerrrrrrrrrrrrrr. lol I was like WOW...this is tooooooooo big lol And, they say it may go away..just takes time. I have heard of women that had a lot of tightness and needed massage therapy. I just put on more creme and it went away for me. Especially aquafor..it really helped a lot because it is so greasy and my skin just sucked it up. Have you tried that?

sorry Jan
    Sorry Jan,
    Chemo brain strikes again, I just re-read your post and realized it was your breast that is swollen. I feel really dumb. Any may some of the massage may still help up under your arm, the way the therapist explained it to me even the swollen breast could be from the lymph glands being removed or agravated by surgery, radiation, etc.
    Good luck
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Didn't you have a long
    Didn't you have a long consultation with the radiation oncologist and didn't he or she give you all kinds of books and information to read inre to side effects and everything about radiation treatments? They should have. He went over every possible side effect with me and what could or would be done to help or halt it. And, I saw mine every week so that he could check my skin and answer any of my questions and check on my general health.
  • Jan_M
    Jan_M Member Posts: 116
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Didn't you have a long
    Didn't you have a long consultation with the radiation oncologist and didn't he or she give you all kinds of books and information to read inre to side effects and everything about radiation treatments? They should have. He went over every possible side effect with me and what could or would be done to help or halt it. And, I saw mine every week so that he could check my skin and answer any of my questions and check on my general health.

Your Dr. must be better
    Mine did not inform me of the side effects, she kept getting called out of the room on the consultation appointment, I felt like I was holding her up from something more important than me. I do see her once a week to check the skin and I do ask questions then.
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Jan_M said:

Your Dr. must be better
    Mine did not inform me of the side effects, she kept getting called out of the room on the consultation appointment, I felt like I was holding her up from something more important than me. I do see her once a week to check the skin and I do ask questions then.

I am glad you see your
    I am glad you see your radiation oncologist once a week. That is important. The changes in your skin can happen quickly sometimes. And, ask any and all questions and make her answer them or find out for you. I didn't know that when I went to the dentist..I would need to be on antibiotics for 10 days, so, I just cancelled my appt. until after I am done with radiation. lol These doctors need to understand that they need to give us their full attention, especially when we are going into unknown territory with treatments. My radiation oncologist is a dream...I really like him and trust him. I hope you are doing ok with your treatments still Jan!