Is Herceptin usually given w/ Taxol?

jaavon2002
jaavon2002 Member Posts: 57
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I asked my oncologist what other meds, if any, will be given with my Taxol infusion. She said none other that these pills I have to take the day before and the day of chemo. As I read on te boards, I usually see Taxol w/ Herceptin.

I am also trying this new patch they have for nausea, instead of Zofran. It's called Sancuso. Has anyone tried it?

Comments

• tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Herceptin
    Jaavon,
    The reason you have seen Taxol w/Herceptin is because Herceptin is given with Taxol when the cancer is HER2+. From what I have read that is the only time Herceptin is given. Those of us who's cancer is HER2+ not only have to have Herceptin w/Taxol but Herceptin alone for usually a year after we have it with Taxol.

If you are not HER2+ then you won't need the Herceptin.

Hope this answers your question about Herceptin.

I don't know about the anti-nausea patch.

Margo
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

Herceptin
    Jaavon,
    The reason you have seen Taxol w/Herceptin is because Herceptin is given with Taxol when the cancer is HER2+. From what I have read that is the only time Herceptin is given. Those of us who's cancer is HER2+ not only have to have Herceptin w/Taxol but Herceptin alone for usually a year after we have it with Taxol.

If you are not HER2+ then you won't need the Herceptin.

Hope this answers your question about Herceptin.

I don't know about the anti-nausea patch.

Margo

taxol
    Hi Jaavon ...

Margo is correct regarding herceptin being given if you are HER2+. I am taking both taxol and herceptin because I am HER2+ ... and I don't take anything before I go to my appointment. Well .. I do take a xanax an hour before my infusion ... and I do that the same time I blob the EMLA cream on my port. (That is the greatest thing since sliced bread! If you blob EMLA on an hour before your appointment ... the port spot is numb when the put the needle in and you absolutely do not feel a thing!) Before they start the taxol infusion they give me 15 minutes of benedryl and something else ... then 15 minutes of something else ... then I have the taxol followed by the herceptin. I'll have my 8th infusion tomorrow (Friday). I was given 2 prescriptions for nausea ... in case I started feeling sick ... but ... I have NEVER felt any nausea. But ... being the weenie that I am ... when I get home from the infusion I do take one of the zofran pills ... just in case. Truthfully ... I am so surprised at how "easy" this has been. I was prepared for a total nightmare ... but instead ... I almost look forward to my appointments. Sounds silly I know ... but the people there are WONDERFUL (!!!) ... and since I take a xanax ... then they give me the benedryl ... and I put on my earphones and play relaxation music on my CD ... and I'm usually asleep before they start the taxol... and usually get a very nice nap in. I know there are many on this board who have it really rough with the AC stuff ... and I have only deep admiration for them and their strength and determination. Compared to their journey ... what I am going through is a walk in the park. So ... if all you need is taxol ... be thankful ... because I think you will have very few side effects and the ones you do have will be minor compared to what the others have experienced.

hugs.
    teena
  • babebussie
    babebussie Member Posts: 150
    ZOFRAN
    Does the zofran not work for you???? I'll be starting chemo again on monday and i was gonna have my dr give me a rx for it. Please advise!
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member

ZOFRAN
    Does the zofran not work for you???? I'll be starting chemo again on monday and i was gonna have my dr give me a rx for it. Please advise!

zofran
    Hi Babe ...

I have no idea if zofran works because I've NEVER felt any nausea. At my initial consultation ... my oncologist just gave me the prescription in case I needed it. And ... I'm such a weenie when it comes to nausea I take one after I get hope from chemo. I don't know if it keeps me from feeling sick or not but I almost think I just don't need it. But ... I'm going to keep taking it after my remaining 5 chemo treatments. The oncologist also gave me

I would ask the oncologist about a prescription for something to have on hand just in case you need it. Also at the initial consultation ... the oncologist gave me another prescription for something stronger to take in case I had nausea that was not being helped by zofran. I've never had to take that. As I said ... I've been very lucky ... but I also understand that the side effects of taxol are "fairly minor" and so far ... that's the way it's been for me. So ... if it's the taxol you are worried about ... I'd say you may be worrying about something that you don't need to. I've been able to easily handle any side effects I've had. BUT ... the question remains ... about the side effects of the other drug you will get with the taxol. I don't know anything about that drug.

I would just talk to the doctor and see what he/she says.

Good luck ... and let us know what the doctor say ... and let us know how you do on Monday. I'll be thinking of you.

hugs.
    teena
  • jaavon2002
    jaavon2002 Member Posts: 57

ZOFRAN

Zofran
    I responded under your discussion asking abou Zofran, but I just copied & pasted it here too..

I am not the norm. Nothing seems to work completely for me. I am currently taking Zofran, Compazine, Emend, Ativan and Dexamethazone. My first two treatments (A/C) my nausea lasted 4-6 day but my third treatment it lasted 10 for some reason. My last treament of AC, which is my 4th and last, my doctor is trying a patch called Sancuso instead of the Zofran. Their in the same drug category but works different, so they say.

I haven't came across NO ONE on this discussion board that Zofran didn't work, but I am a special case. I have a low tolerence and pain and any type of sickness...if you look wimp up in the dictionary you will probably see 2 pictures of me ;-)