Drainage tube

Options
msmitty57
msmitty57 Member Posts: 7
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Best wishes to everyone! I have a question hoping that someone can shed some light...I had a bilateral mastectomies approx 1 month ago (3/26/09) with drains on both sides. Finally had the right drain taken out approximately 3wks after surgery, but the left drain is still producing anywhere from 65, 75, 100cc/day. I did have the left drain out for approximately 5-7 hrs upon the day the right one was taken out, but that evening I spiked a fever and swelling occurred having to visit the plastic surgeon's office the next morning to have drain reinserted. I've been told that for some the drain has had to remain longer than normal...and I am definitely proofing to several of my doctors/technicians, etc. that I am not normal:-)

I'm going to visit with my other daughter (Pennsylvania) for the next day or so. Thanks to any that may have a response...my prayers and best wishes are with ALL OF YOU!!!!

May the remainder of your evening be truly blessed!

msmitty57

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    I had drains, but I did not
    I had drains, but I did not have to have them reinserted. That must be frustrating, but just keep on persisting and follow the Dr's. directions and it will be over soon. Enjoy your trip!

take care and keep your eye on the finish line. seof
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    drains/my experience.
    I had many problems with my drains and draining. I had mastectomies done at two separate times (one was preventive, the other one was for cancer). With the first mastectomy, my drain snapped out by accident on the second day after surgery. Then for weeks they drained it by needle, but the drain finally had to be surgically re-attached because draining wasn't working. Within a few days or maybe a week after re-inserting the drain, the fluid build-up stopped and they were able to remove it. For the second mastectomy, I also had fluid continue to build up after the drain was removed. They aspirated it with a needle for several weeks, and then finally the fluid build-up went away.

I am telling you all this to try and reassure you that ultimately the fluid build-up will go away and the drains will be out! It is very frustrating in the process, though, because no one can tell you how long this will go on.

I trust you will be okay soon, though.

Good luck,

Ohilly
  • msmitty57
    Options
    seof said:

I had drains, but I did not
    I had drains, but I did not have to have them reinserted. That must be frustrating, but just keep on persisting and follow the Dr's. directions and it will be over soon. Enjoy your trip!

take care and keep your eye on the finish line. seof

drains
    Greetings, seof
    Thank you for responding to my board message.

Here's my update as of yesterday's meeting with the plastic surgeon...I had my expanders taken out in the office because evidently my body was rejecting them with different problems arising within each breast (swelling/warmth of each breast on and off, low-grade fevers, chills, body aches). Feels much better, drain is gone!!! :-) Will meet with plastic surgeon again next week to see how healing is progressing (will have the implants reinserted 1/2 months after chemo or whenever I decide). Hoping to heal over next week or two so I can schedule my initial chemo treatment.

Also, hoping to return to work by May 11th...never thought I would hear myself say that!!!! :-)

Enjoy your weekend!
  • msmitty57
    Options
    ohilly said:

drains/my experience.
    I had many problems with my drains and draining. I had mastectomies done at two separate times (one was preventive, the other one was for cancer). With the first mastectomy, my drain snapped out by accident on the second day after surgery. Then for weeks they drained it by needle, but the drain finally had to be surgically re-attached because draining wasn't working. Within a few days or maybe a week after re-inserting the drain, the fluid build-up stopped and they were able to remove it. For the second mastectomy, I also had fluid continue to build up after the drain was removed. They aspirated it with a needle for several weeks, and then finally the fluid build-up went away.

I am telling you all this to try and reassure you that ultimately the fluid build-up will go away and the drains will be out! It is very frustrating in the process, though, because no one can tell you how long this will go on.

Good luck,

Ohilly

drains
    Thanks, ohilly, for sharing your experience. I'm definitely an "infant" to all this, but so greatly appreciate everyone's support/responses/encouragement.

I had a meeting with the plastic surgeon yesterday and had to have the expanders removed while in the office due to the body not being happy with having a strange/foreign object within it. Feeling much better...will decide on the implants again after I complete chemo (to be 16 weeks - 8wks of every other week and the final 8wks every other week also).

I'm finding out, though, that we definitely learn as we go along; don't we?

Thank you, again, for your kindness.
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    ohilly said:

drains/my experience.

Good luck,

Ohilly

Hi Ohilly
    Now that i am done with chemo, and wondering about my hair coming back. I thought i would check in with you and see if your hair is thickening out. I bought some rogain..and i know i'm impatient, but i haven't heard any news on yours lately? How grows it??
    love
    jackie
  • tami90650
    tami90650 Member Posts: 82
    Options
    Hi msmitty
    Welocome to the family here. Sorry it is under these circumstances. My name is Tami and I dont have any answers for you but I wanted to say hi and let you know Im praying for you. This is a awesome site and you can talk freely and we understand, care and are glad to be here for each other. Dont worry about being NOT NORMAL. Every case is different, even two different breast on the same body. Just keep your faith that you are cured, and when your brain starts wondering and fear steps in, do thisfirstgo2Matthew 9 vs. 18 thru 26 in your bible and read that. Then picture in your mind that you are the sick lady in the story and you are reaching out and mentally feel yourself grabbing onto Jesus robe and feel the Lords healing powers consume your whole body. Head to toes, and know that by the power of Jesus christ you are healed. Of course do everything the doctors direct you to do. God blessed us with them too. Please keep us posted. Have fun visiting your family and I hope to hear from you soon.

LOVE YA
    TAMI
  • outdoorgirl
    outdoorgirl Member Posts: 1,565
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hi Ohilly
    Now that i am done with chemo, and wondering about my hair coming back. I thought i would check in with you and see if your hair is thickening out. I bought some rogain..and i know i'm impatient, but i haven't heard any news on yours lately? How grows it??
    love
    jackie

Have you heard about Nioxin?
    Jackie,
    I know you said you just bought Rogaine,but have you heard about Nioxin hair care products?I got a starter pack from a friend who's a stylist as a get well present. It is shampoo and scalp therapy for fine hair. I started using it as soon as my hair started growing back and it feels great! Don't know if it's the full reason why,but my hair is thicker than before and wildly curly!
    Just wanted to let you and anyone else who's curious to know about it!
    Patty
  • msmitty57
    Options
    tami90650 said:

Hi msmitty
    Welocome to the family here. Sorry it is under these circumstances. My name is Tami and I dont have any answers for you but I wanted to say hi and let you know Im praying for you. This is a awesome site and you can talk freely and we understand, care and are glad to be here for each other. Dont worry about being NOT NORMAL. Every case is different, even two different breast on the same body. Just keep your faith that you are cured, and when your brain starts wondering and fear steps in, do thisfirstgo2Matthew 9 vs. 18 thru 26 in your bible and read that. Then picture in your mind that you are the sick lady in the story and you are reaching out and mentally feel yourself grabbing onto Jesus robe and feel the Lords healing powers consume your whole body. Head to toes, and know that by the power of Jesus christ you are healed. Of course do everything the doctors direct you to do. God blessed us with them too. Please keep us posted. Have fun visiting your family and I hope to hear from you soon.

LOVE YA
    TAMI

drains
    Greetings, Tami

Thank you for your response and kindness in welcoming me into this awesome support group of friends and thank you especially for your prayers!! It's so wonderful to see answered prayer unfolding before our eyes when we know others are lifting us up especially for those times or moments we can't do it for ourselves. Thank God for our prayer warriors/partners!!

I look forward to talking to you again! Enjoy your afternoon.

Your friend in Christ,
    Marie
  • ohilly
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hi Ohilly
    love
    jackie

hair
    Jackie, you asked about hair. I think I will reply as a new post, so just look for the next post on the main board entitled 'update on ohilly's hair.'

Ohilly
  • ohilly
    Options
    rjjj said:

Hi Ohilly
    love
    jackie

a few more suggestions
    I did post a response to your question about my hair on a new post, but I also wanted to give you two more suggestions (that were suggested to me by a dermatologist):

1.) I use Nioxin Scalp Therapy #4
    2.) I take Biotin - it's supposed to make your hair grow thicker and stronger. The dermatologist said 'it can't hurt' to take it.
    3.) I use a special shampoo which my dermatologist prescribed (you can also buy it in the Walgreen's, but the prescription one is stronger): it's called Nizoral, and is the only shampoo known to have slight regrowth effects
    4.) I only wash my hair every two or three days. The other days, I just rinse it and use the Nioxin scalp therapy, which is like a conditioner.

Hope this advice helps.

Ohilly
  • NorcalJ
    NorcalJ Member Posts: 187
    Options
    msmitty57 said:

drains
    Greetings, Tami

Thank you for your response and kindness in welcoming me into this awesome support group of friends and thank you especially for your prayers!! It's so wonderful to see answered prayer unfolding before our eyes when we know others are lifting us up especially for those times or moments we can't do it for ourselves. Thank God for our prayer warriors/partners!!

I look forward to talking to you again! Enjoy your afternoon.

Your friend in Christ,
    Marie

Hair's it at
    Hi!

I'm about 8 months out of chemo and my hair is about 2 inches long and VERY curly (never had any curl before). I used the Nioxin conditioner too after chemo stopped and it took about 3 months before I was brave enough to go topless (without a scarf).
    My hair was always very fine, and it still is.

I don't think you need to buy Rogain because that's for people who don't have the hair follicles, but you do---unless you had problems with hair loss before chemo. It's just a matter of waiting for the effects of the chemo to wear off. Mine didn't really start to come back until about a month after my last infusion---but I've heard about some people having it restart before the last infusion. Sometimes depends on what you get. I got 4 rounds of A/C, then 4 rounds of Taxol.

Just remember, everyone is different---and you WILL get your hair back and will be telling your story to someone else, advising them, very soon. Hang in there!
    Good Luck,
    Jan
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Welcome, msmitty57!
    You will be, if not already, amazed by the wonderful folks within this group!

I'm sorry for all of the problems you've encountered with the drains, and the expanders. I truly hope you're now on your way, so to speak, without further complications.

When breast cancer is the subject, the learning curve never ends! A huge benefit of being part of this group is that we learn so much from each other.

Wishing you good luck with your upcoming chemo - firstly, that it proves to be successful treatment, which is most important of all; and, secondly, that your side effects are minimal, if any.

Kind regards, Susan
  • msmitty57
    Options

Welcome, msmitty57!
    You will be, if not already, amazed by the wonderful folks within this group!

I'm sorry for all of the problems you've encountered with the drains, and the expanders. I truly hope you're now on your way, so to speak, without further complications.

When breast cancer is the subject, the learning curve never ends! A huge benefit of being part of this group is that we learn so much from each other.

Wishing you good luck with your upcoming chemo - firstly, that it proves to be successful treatment, which is most important of all; and, secondly, that your side effects are minimal, if any.

Kind regards, Susan

Christmas Girl
    Hi, Christmas Girl

Thanks for the warm welcome and kind words. I look forward to sharing with you, again. Gotta go and get some nourishment this morning:-) Wishing you a beautiful day!

msmitty57