Question about 2nd round of chemo

Options
qwe
qwe Member Posts: 124
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My new Chemo Dr. says I do not need the 2TH round of chemo cause the surgeon
took out 13 limp nopes and there was no cancer in them.Now in the beginning I
was told that I would need it just in case a micro dot of cancer broke off during surgery
and the Oxaliplatin with 5-FU would kill any left over cells that might be there
for you all who have been through this please let me know if I should do the 2TH
round of chemo I know in the end it will be my decision.So I need so advice now
Here is what I had done first 6 weeks of radiation and chemo 5-FU
March 26TH surgery have a permanent bag sewed up the rectum.
Would you go for the 2TH round?If you did not go for the 2TH round and got cancer
again please let me know.This is a big decision I have to make please help me make it.

Comments

• PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Some Clarity Please
    I'm confused, is it your 2nd or your 12th round that you are talking about? In either case, if you are up to it then go for all of the treatments. If something were to happen later on you'll be kicking yourself.
    Just my opinion
    -phil
  • qwe
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Some Clarity Please
    I'm confused, is it your 2nd or your 12th round that you are talking about? In either case, if you are up to it then go for all of the treatments. If something were to happen later on you'll be kicking yourself.
    Just my opinion
    -phil

It would be my 2nd round of
    It would be my 2nd round of chemo sorry about the typo .
  • PhillieG
    Options
    qwe said:

It would be my 2nd round of
    It would be my 2nd round of chemo sorry about the typo .

How many total
    No problem, I'm all thumbs at times ;-) So your doc just had you scheduled for 2 rounds of chemo then and you did one, but are debating the other. I would ask him why he feels you do not need to do it, is it because you had clear margins and clear lymph nodes? Personally, I would take more chemo. If you miss just one cell, it can keep on going. I've had 180+ treatments over 5 years of various chemo. I could stop, but things then to grow. I want to be NED or at least just live with cancer.

Like you said, YOU have an important decision to make. I hope I didn't confues you more...
    -phil
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    PhillieG said:

How many total
    No problem, I'm all thumbs at times ;-) So your doc just had you scheduled for 2 rounds of chemo then and you did one, but are debating the other. I would ask him why he feels you do not need to do it, is it because you had clear margins and clear lymph nodes? Personally, I would take more chemo. If you miss just one cell, it can keep on going. I've had 180+ treatments over 5 years of various chemo. I could stop, but things then to grow. I want to be NED or at least just live with cancer.

Like you said, YOU have an important decision to make. I hope I didn't confues you more...
    -phil

Phil
    QWE is saying that this is her follow up chemo after the surgery. It would be 4 months of chemo. She did one round with radiation before surgery and this would be the "mop up" chemo. QWE and I have corresponded so I know what she is saying. I'm starting my second chemo next month. Kim
  • PhillieG
    Options

Phil
    QWE is saying that this is her follow up chemo after the surgery. It would be 4 months of chemo. She did one round with radiation before surgery and this would be the "mop up" chemo. QWE and I have corresponded so I know what she is saying. I'm starting my second chemo next month. Kim

Thanks Kim
    I am so far removed from that stage of the process. I think I have a little chemo brain for sure.

Well, I would most likely follow my doctors recommendation but if he wanted me to stop, I'd want a good reason why he thought that way. Otherwise, like I said I'd feel more comfortable doing the chemo.
    -p

long day/week and it's not even 1/2 way over
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    QWE
    I hope that you get some answers here. If any board could be helpful, I know it would be this one. I'm anxious to see other's responses. Kim
  • qwe
    Options

QWE
    I hope that you get some answers here. If any board could be helpful, I know it would be this one. I'm anxious to see other's responses. Kim

Thanks everyone I will still
    Thanks everyone I will still be looking back here for more replies .
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    QWE
    I am doing my second phase after surgery right now. I have a total of 4 rounds to get through, finished 2 and #3 will be in May. It is very hard on me, but I won't quit. I had a clear scan, but there are always those cells that don't show up, or are too small to see. I don't want to take a chance or have future regrets.

Just my opinion but I would keep fighting.

Many hugs, Vicki