Checking in with my on-line family

JADot
JADot Member Posts: 709 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hello!

Although I have not checked in lately on the board, I do want to let you know that you're never 1 thought away on my mind.

Nudgie - I am here - endless thanks for thinking about me!

A much belated update - here goes.

For those of you who are new - I was diagnosed at 38, Stage II colon cancer, two insanely large and aggressively growing tumors, suspected HNPCC but never proven by current science. I went through 6 months of FOLFOX in 2006.

I've been clean - more or less - since then. I say more or less because I've had my shares of real scares every few months it seemed. First there was a shadow on my liver - turned out to be a camera artifact. Then there was CA125 at 50x normal level, so in for surgery, no cancer. 2 months ago a spot lit up on the last PET scan. I freaked out completely although my oncologist said it was more likely to be an infection. We did find a small ulcer from a subsequent colonoscopy. Another PET scan due in 1 month. If it's still lit up then "we're going in" - said the oncologist.

I've managed to overfill my life between cancer scares to the max and loving every minute of it. I've done a walking marathon, several long bike rides, the Lance Armstrong Challenge bike ride last year, and a 100 miler coming up this Sunday in Napa Valley. I lift weights, job and bike regularly. I've been to China, Europe, Canada, India for business and pleasure. I have a very challenging but satisfying job at a technology company. Like every Silicon Valley geek girl, I planted organic vegetables in my backyard and blog about it. You can see my blog at http://backyardorganics.blogspot.com/. And most of all, I've enjoyed life with my husband and our two four-legged children.

July 2009 will be 3 years after end of chemo and being NED. I hope I'll get over my current scare by then and will celebrate whole-heartedly. Then again, as all of you already know - everyday is a celebration for us survivors.

Alas I missed the last palooza even though it was in SF. I was going through a particularly tough patch in life and felt completely drained. But hey, that's over now too. What didn't kill me made me stronger.

Best of luck to all of you.

Live Strong.
Ying

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Welcome back!
    Hey Ying!! What a story... I hope you are doing a diary or journal of your experiences because just the way you wrote this one post... well, I'd buy the book!! :)

When you get that next PET scan next month... you MUST make sure you let us know how it went! I'm sure it will all be fine, but I sure can understand the anxiety when you are waiting to find out!

What kind of fur children do you have... dogs or cats (or both)?? :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
    (mother to a schnauzer fur-child)
  • catherine58
    catherine58 Member Posts: 92
    Great to hear your news
    Hi Ying, great to hear your news and I'm so pleased that life is good. I hope the latest scare will prove to be just that.

I'll never forget the evening you first called from the other side of the world - hours after I had been told the cancer was in my lymph nodes. You were such a support and inspiration.

I'm well and happy, in fact better and happier than I've been for years. Of course I wish I had never had cancer but a lot of positive things have come out of it (something I never would have predicted).

I'm still waiting for a definitive result (perhaps, like you, I'll never have one) but it looks as though I too have HNPCC. You were the first person who ever suggested it so I pushed for genetic testing ...

Any chance of seeing you in the UK one of these days? I do hope so ...

All the very best

Catherine
  • betina61
    betina61 Member Posts: 642 Member
    What a nice surprise!!
    Hi Ying, I hope you remember me, because I never forgot about you, you were very active on this board by the time I joined and you always answered my posts with great sugestions and advice,I'm very pleased that you are doing fine and I am sure the next pet scan will be fine so that you could celebrate your 3 years anniversary, mine will be in July, 3 years Ned from surgery Hooray!!!
    Keep coming back at least once in a while.Lots of hugs.
  • KathiM
    KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
    ....and there you are!!!!
    Great to 'see' you again, my dear!!!

Sounds like you HAVE been living a full life....YEA!!!

Thanks for checking in...if too much time goes by between visits, we start to worry....

Hugs, Kathi
  • scouty
    scouty Member Posts: 1,965 Member
    HEY YING!!!
    Yes we missed you at CP6 but I think we toasted to you once or twice or maybe a hundred times........

Great to hear from you and I love the photo of you and hubby. Any way you can join us at CP7 in Key West? I'd love to finally meet you in person.

Things are good here in North Cackalacky.......my organic spring veggies are starting to come in and summer veggies are being planted. The raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries will the be the best ever this year. This is the 4th year of my asparagus bed and it is really producing nicely.

I'll have to check out your blog to see what you're growing!

Take care and again it is great to hear from you!!!

Lisa P.
  • nudgie
    nudgie Member Posts: 1,478 Member
    It's about time
    We surely missed you and I was personnally concerned. I completely understand about life schedules. Before you know it or are aware of it, life has flew by and you sit there looking out in a daze wondering what the hell happended.

I, like you, try very hard to stop and smell the roses as often as possible. I don't want life to pass by without me noticing or picking a few flowers.

Please keep in touch!!!!!
  • JADot

Great to hear your news
    Hi Ying, great to hear your news and I'm so pleased that life is good. I hope the latest scare will prove to be just that.

I'll never forget the evening you first called from the other side of the world - hours after I had been told the cancer was in my lymph nodes. You were such a support and inspiration.

I'm well and happy, in fact better and happier than I've been for years. Of course I wish I had never had cancer but a lot of positive things have come out of it (something I never would have predicted).

I'm still waiting for a definitive result (perhaps, like you, I'll never have one) but it looks as though I too have HNPCC. You were the first person who ever suggested it so I pushed for genetic testing ...

Any chance of seeing you in the UK one of these days? I do hope so ...

All the very best

Catherine

Catherine!
    Catherine!

I've often wondered how you were doing; now I am thrilled to confirm that you're indeed happy and thriving! I am also relieved to hear that you've gone for genetic testing - just can't be too careful with these things for you and your kids. If you're even a remote HNPCC suspect, you might also want to add CA125 to your list of regular blood tests. You may already know that there is strong data to suggest that HNPCC also predisposes women for Uterine and Ovarian cancers - ugh.

Alas my chance for coming to the UK isn't looking so good at a moment. That said, I am starting to read Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere, so I will be visiting London vicariously :-)

I just finished Good Omens recently. What a lovely story and it reminded me of you, your kids and your lovely house in the English country side. I hope you can find time to read the book. I simply adore Terry Pratchett.

My husband and I are going to Europe at the end of the month. Maybe we can meet in Venice?

All the best to you too Catherine!

Ying
  • JADot
    betina61 said:

What a nice surprise!!
    Hi Ying, I hope you remember me, because I never forgot about you, you were very active on this board by the time I joined and you always answered my posts with great sugestions and advice,I'm very pleased that you are doing fine and I am sure the next pet scan will be fine so that you could celebrate your 3 years anniversary, mine will be in July, 3 years Ned from surgery Hooray!!!
    Keep coming back at least once in a while.Lots of hugs.

Celebration in July!
    Betina,

Yes, of course I remember you! So glad to hear that you're coming up on your own 3rd anniversary! Let's just plan on celebrating both of our 3 year NED together this year.

Best of luck to you, and yes, I should be more in touch :-)

Cheers,
    Ying
  • JADot
    KathiM said:

....and there you are!!!!
    Great to 'see' you again, my dear!!!

Sounds like you HAVE been living a full life....YEA!!!

Thanks for checking in...if too much time goes by between visits, we start to worry....

Hugs, Kathi

Hiya Lady!
    Kathi,

My life is er, a little too exciting at the moment :-)

Sounds like you've been one busy happy naked dancing momma yourself. Your enthusiasm is truly infectious!

Cheers,
    Ying
  • JADot
    scouty said:

HEY YING!!!
    Yes we missed you at CP6 but I think we toasted to you once or twice or maybe a hundred times........

Great to hear from you and I love the photo of you and hubby. Any way you can join us at CP7 in Key West? I'd love to finally meet you in person.

Things are good here in North Cackalacky.......my organic spring veggies are starting to come in and summer veggies are being planted. The raspberries, blackberries, and blueberries will the be the best ever this year. This is the 4th year of my asparagus bed and it is really producing nicely.

I'll have to check out your blog to see what you're growing!

Take care and again it is great to hear from you!!!

Lisa P.

Lisa!!!
    I really miss you guys even though I have been AWOL for so long. Key West - I have fond memories of scuba diving there. Would love to go again.

Sounds like your organic garden is far more ambitious and successful than mine. Have you read Michael Pollan's wonderful book The Omnivore's Dilemma? You'd love it, I think.

It's so great to catch up with you!

Cheers,
    Ying
  • JADot
    nudgie said:

It's about time
    We surely missed you and I was personnally concerned. I completely understand about life schedules. Before you know it or are aware of it, life has flew by and you sit there looking out in a daze wondering what the hell happended.

I, like you, try very hard to stop and smell the roses as often as possible. I don't want life to pass by without me noticing or picking a few flowers.

Please keep in touch!!!!!

Sniff, sniff
    That's me smelling the roses :-)

You'd be happy to hear that my husband and I are heading up to Napa Valley this weekend to bike in the Tour de Cure (Diabetes). That's on Sunday. On Saturday, rain or shine, we will sleep in most of the day and then go taste a bunch of that yummy Napa Valley Cabernet with a bouquet of oak, berries, chocolate and a hint of tobacco :-) :-)

We will also be celebrating our 5th wedding anniversary. So many roses and so little time.

I am so touched by the fact that you were on the lookout for me, and all the reminders about not working too much. Now exactly how DID you know :-) :-)

Cheers,
    Ying
  • Monicaemilia
    Monicaemilia Member Posts: 455 Member
    Great to hear from you....
    Hi Ying: It is so good to hear from you. I imagine it must feel like the beast is always lurking, but you seem to have an amazing, vigilant team that is unwilling to give it the upper hand, and I know you will succeed. Your life sounds wonderfully chaotic. Keep doing as you have been doing, being a great example for all of us. Monica
  • JADot

Welcome back!
    Hey Ying!! What a story... I hope you are doing a diary or journal of your experiences because just the way you wrote this one post... well, I'd buy the book!! :)

When you get that next PET scan next month... you MUST make sure you let us know how it went! I'm sure it will all be fine, but I sure can understand the anxiety when you are waiting to find out!

What kind of fur children do you have... dogs or cats (or both)?? :)

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
    (mother to a schnauzer fur-child)

Hi Cheryl, Many thanks for
    Hi Cheryl,

Many thanks for your kind words - they've gone to my head and I'm off looking for a book agent now :-) :-)

I'll definitely report back on my PET scan result. I hope to be in the clear for my 3rd anniversary. My oncologist said 3 years and no recurrence is a good sign.

Ah, my kids, I have one Mainecoon and a Calico. If you go to www.flickr.com and search for "Samuel T. Growltiger", you'll see my boy Sammy's photo. He is a handsome little guy.

Cheers,
    Ying