Muscle Spasms in torso and neck

mgm42
mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I think I come up with the strangest maladies, but here goes. I've been on aromatase inhibitors for almost one year. Within the last few months, I've noticed that if I turn a certain way, tilt my head a certain way, or reach for something, I get "charley horses" or muscle spasms in my midriff, back, shoulders and neck. I'm eating bananas for potassium and I have a diet rich in fruits and vegetables as well as take calcium + D and an all purpose multivitamin.

Has anyone else out there experienced this kind of problem? I see my oncologists on the 15th of May, but thought someone of you might have some information that might help me to understand what the heck is going on. Thanks a bunch.

Marilynn

Comments

• RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Sure do!
    Hi Marilynn,

I have had this problem since my lumpectomy, chemo and rads way back in 98. I never know when the spasms will hit, but when they do it stops me in my tracks. I have had to pull over while driving at times. Oddly enough I have much milder ones on the mastectomy side that had no rads, I don't know why. I have been told that this is quite normal and will be with me forever. I also should note that mom had double mastectomies and had these horrid charlie horses as well.

Take Care,

RE
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    muscle spasms
    I had a lumpectomy, chemo and rads. I am now on Aromasin. I do have muscle spasms in my rib area on both left and right sides. Don't know what causes it and I forgot to ask my dr about it. If you ask yours please let us know what she says.
  • mmontero38
    mmontero38 Member Posts: 1,510
    Hi Marilynn: If you read my
    Hi Marilynn: If you read my posts a few days ago, you will see I posted about this also. I was put on Tamoxifen in January 2008. By May 1st, I kept getting charlie horses on my left calf. So bad that I went to therapy for 6 months, had lanacaine (sp) shots and acupuncture. 1 year later, and I still can't walk too far or too rapidly and I still suffer from charlie horses every now and then or if I stretch in bed. Then 2 weeks ago, my hands started to swell and the joints got out of shape. When I called the oncologist he told me to stop the tamoxifen and I started feeling better within 48 hours. I was off it for 1 week and then got a muscle spasm on my neck. It was so bad my husband had to take me to the ER because of course it was the weekend. So, now I'm in therapy for the neck. The oncologist switched me to Arimidex, and I'm hoping I do much better. So far so good, but when I went to the GYN today for my check up he said that it may take a few months before we know if I will have any side effects. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that i do well with this, because it is a scarier thought to not be able to take anything. Hugs, Lili

PS: I've been on potassium, magnesium, prescription strength Vit D and nothing helped. It's a side effect of the meds we are on.
  • mgm42
    mgm42 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Thank you all...
    Thanks so much. I thought I was going nuts. I'm sure that by now my family is skeptical when I say that a new symptom is probably a result of treatment and my AI therapy. Whew! You've taken a load off my mind. I do see my oncologist on May 15th. In fact, within that same week, I see my cancer surgeon, my radiation oncologist as well as my medical oncologist. ALL of them, will get this question. As soon as I get some answers, I'll be happy to share. Thanks again. You can't know how much better I feel knowing that I'm not goofy. Hugs, Marilynn