expanders to implants

dbs1673
dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I had my expanders removed on April 9th and got the silicone implants. My first couple of days I felt great. I loved shedding those hard rocks just to feel something soft on my chest. My sternum hurt like heck as the surgeon really worked the muscle around the rib/sternum area to try and develop something to resemble cleavage. My previous aches from the expanders gone only to be replaced by some new aches to let the implants settle. The suture lines are healing well, I'm working and doing some modified exercising. Why am I feeling so down? When the sutures came out, I was given a large velcro strap to wear around my chest for the next 6 weeks. Having not worn a bra since June when I had my bilat mas this is strange not to mention visible under my clothing. The Dr. tells me now it's like watching paint dry. I'm not seeing the improvement or subtle changes that's probably there. I don't feel pretty. I don't have any regrets, yet I'm depressed. May 13th is the anniversary date of my diagnosis. Logic takes no lead for my emotions right now. I know it's steps forward and steps backward but this just sucks.

Comments

• GreeneyedGirl
    GreeneyedGirl Member Posts: 1,077
    Soon 2 B expander free
    I am having my one expander removed on june 4, I had been wondering what the after effects of surgery would be. I do suspect that swelling would be an issue for about 6 weeks-I am anticipating another drainage tube, and being patient for the end results is just what I have to do...I am naturally a very impatient person. Breast Cancer has taught me patience thru the process. And what a process it is. I am certainly excited for the end results, and hoping for some balance to my body. I know it won't be perfect--but it will be good. I am looking forward to the hard expander being gone-I appreciate your sharing , because I had been wondering.....
    Melanie
  • ritazimm
    ritazimm Member Posts: 171
    Sorry dbs
    I'm sorry that you are feeling depressed. I know how much it sucks. I cannot believe I'm going to say these words (because people have told me this so many times that I want to barf when I hear it) but.........don't put so much pressure on yourself. I know that I always felt that I should feel this or I should feel that (emotional 'feel') and then when I didn't it really threw me off. I still tend to 'expect too much from myself' but I'm really trying to take it as it comes. Not only physically - I seem to handle the physical better - but also emotionally. I remember how wonderful it was to get rid of that tupperware bowl in my chest, try to just focus on the big step you just took and not the place where you would like to be.

Another thing that I know I forget, is that having anesthesia also effects our body and brain and these effects can last for months. I've had 3 surgeries in the past 18 months, and I'm sure you are about the same, so we have to realize that this can cause emotional and physical setbacks. So not only do we have the hormone and chemo brain issues, we also have issues caused by the anesthesia. Be sure to tell you doctor how you are feeling so he can make recommendations for you.

God bless!
    Rita
  • djteach
    djteach Member Posts: 273
    Hi dbs,
    I don't know when

Hi dbs,
    I don't know when you were diagnosed with b/c, but your feelings are very normal (although I hate that word). We are all on an emotional roller-coaster trying to deal with a life changing disease. Even though you are getting closer to your goal, each step makes you look at yourself and your disease in a new light, which is not always easy. I still go through it after almost 4 years (in Aug.), and it hits when you least expect it. I agree, let your dr. know how you are feeling. Are you sleeping okay? I hope so. Hang in there and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and Gentle Hugs,
    Donna
  • dbs1673
    dbs1673 Member Posts: 203
    djteach said:

Hi dbs,
    I don't know when

Hi dbs,
    I don't know when you were diagnosed with b/c, but your feelings are very normal (although I hate that word). We are all on an emotional roller-coaster trying to deal with a life changing disease. Even though you are getting closer to your goal, each step makes you look at yourself and your disease in a new light, which is not always easy. I still go through it after almost 4 years (in Aug.), and it hits when you least expect it. I agree, let your dr. know how you are feeling. Are you sleeping okay? I hope so. Hang in there and know you are in my thoughts and prayers.
    Love and Gentle Hugs,
    Donna

glad you're all here
    Thanks for the hugs, nodding of the head and cyber tissues. Melanie, you should know that I did not need any drainage tubes and that was certainly a plus this time around. It's hard to tell what is swelling vs boobs that actually move and are soft. I was told that the implants are gnerally about 10% smaller in size from the expanders. I was very small to begin (34 A) with so a cup increase sounded good and not overly noticable from old me. Wearing this strap leaves extra wrinkles and marks that I can't tell what's what. I was diagnosed nearly one year ago (5/13/08) and had a bilateral mastectomy on 6/18. Guess we will always remember those dates like we remember the time and weights of our children when born. Significant to us but not really anyone else. I am sleeping but still feel lethargic/unrested. I know my husband is loosing patience as I seem to use all my emotional energy to get through the work day and there is nothing left when I'm home. I really enjoy just sitting quietly, with a book and a nice glass of wine....alone. He has been so good and caring. I think because this surgery wasn't as "major" he, myself and others thought easy to move on. I did get what I wanted after all. Thanks you so much about the reminder about the anesthesia and pain meds in the system. My middle name has never been patience either but there is still time for a name change.