Red Radiation Bumps :(

Options
Kristin N
Kristin N Member Posts: 1,968 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone or has anyone had the red, itchy bumps with radiation treatments? And, if you did, how long before they go away? I am on my "booster"s now and they are still on the area that isn't getting zapped now. I am so sick of them. And, my skin is so tight on the radiation area side..I just keep putting on as much creme as I can take. Anyone tell me when the tightness goes away? I am just looking for something good hopefully soon from this radiation. I hate it!!!!!! Thank you!

Comments

• seof
    seof Member Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    its comon
    I think your experience is a common one. I got little blisters that were a little itchy, but I know severe itching is common. Talk to your Dr. they have some good prescription creams that help. The tightness is also common. That can be quite uncomfortable. Talk to your Dr. about the possiblity of Physical therapy or massage therapy for that. I have heard of some facilities that offer such services and they can be helpful. It should all start easing up when the treatments stop. I expect you will notice some improvement day by day, and within a few weeks it should be much better. That too is a good question for the Dr.

Someone else may have better info than I do, best wishes, seof.
  • Kristin N
    Options
    seof said:

its comon
    I think your experience is a common one. I got little blisters that were a little itchy, but I know severe itching is common. Talk to your Dr. they have some good prescription creams that help. The tightness is also common. That can be quite uncomfortable. Talk to your Dr. about the possiblity of Physical therapy or massage therapy for that. I have heard of some facilities that offer such services and they can be helpful. It should all start easing up when the treatments stop. I expect you will notice some improvement day by day, and within a few weeks it should be much better. That too is a good question for the Dr.

Someone else may have better info than I do, best wishes, seof.

Thank you Seof!
    I thank you for your reply. It is nice to know that there is an end to this, and, that what I am going thru now will end soon after my treatments are done. 37 radiation treatments is just taking foreverrrrrrrrrrr! I just haven't seen too many post bad effects on radiation, well, not many posts about radiation treatments at all. So, I guess most aren't or haven't had them. I just hate the tightness and these darn red, itchy bumps. I have scratched them and they bled, so, I am trying to not do that again. How soon will my skin be back to normal?
  • Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    Kristin N said:

Thank you Seof!
    I thank you for your reply. It is nice to know that there is an end to this, and, that what I am going thru now will end soon after my treatments are done. 37 radiation treatments is just taking foreverrrrrrrrrrr! I just haven't seen too many post bad effects on radiation, well, not many posts about radiation treatments at all. So, I guess most aren't or haven't had them. I just hate the tightness and these darn red, itchy bumps. I have scratched them and they bled, so, I am trying to not do that again. How soon will my skin be back to normal?

Boo on those darn bumps!
    I have them too Kristin. And, they are awful. I am nearing the end of my radiation treatments too and hope that they go away soon after. To me, they are the worse part of the radiation treatments. Maybe someone can post some "miracle" creme to use.

( kind of itching as i type haha )
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Not So Rad Bumps
    Hi Kristin,

I have had 16 weeks of rads and had bumps and burning, if you are not getting comfort from whatever your doc has given you tell them to give you something else. There are several different products out there for this problem, I hope you are able to get relief soon. In regards to the skin being tight, for me that lasted a long time (keep in mind i had 16 weeks of rads). The area affected on me is still somewhat shiny and tight but it is in no way bothersome. Keep your chin up and remember each time you get your rads you are killing more of those nasty cancer cells, it is so worth it.

Lots of Hugs,

RE
  • Kristin N
    Options
    RE said:

Not So Rad Bumps
    Hi Kristin,

I have had 16 weeks of rads and had bumps and burning, if you are not getting comfort from whatever your doc has given you tell them to give you something else. There are several different products out there for this problem, I hope you are able to get relief soon. In regards to the skin being tight, for me that lasted a long time (keep in mind i had 16 weeks of rads). The area affected on me is still somewhat shiny and tight but it is in no way bothersome. Keep your chin up and remember each time you get your rads you are killing more of those nasty cancer cells, it is so worth it.

Lots of Hugs,

RE

OMG..16 weeks
    RE..I feel like I shouldn't even be complaining since I am only going to have 7 1/2 weeks of radiation. I admire you for getting thru that many. I will ask my radiation oncologist again for something else. I just wish they ( the red bumps ) would go away. Do you remember when yours did? After the radiation was totally finished? Thanks again RE!
  • RE
    RE Member Posts: 4,591 Member
    Options
    Kristin N said:

OMG..16 weeks
    RE..I feel like I shouldn't even be complaining since I am only going to have 7 1/2 weeks of radiation. I admire you for getting thru that many. I will ask my radiation oncologist again for something else. I just wish they ( the red bumps ) would go away. Do you remember when yours did? After the radiation was totally finished? Thanks again RE!

Hi Kristin
    First I had 6 weeks then 6 months off then 10 more weeks. The bumps did clear up in between that time, but not while i was actually in treatment. There was also a shield made of soothing gel tha I kept in the fridge called Radia Shields, not sure if they are still on the market this was back in 1998. I also have had second degree burns on my arm due to a kitchen accident and was give SSD cream which was very soothing and help avoid scarring so you may want to ask about that. Let me know how it goes, keeping you in my thoughts!!

RE
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    RE said:

Hi Kristin
    First I had 6 weeks then 6 months off then 10 more weeks. The bumps did clear up in between that time, but not while i was actually in treatment. There was also a shield made of soothing gel tha I kept in the fridge called Radia Shields, not sure if they are still on the market this was back in 1998. I also have had second degree burns on my arm due to a kitchen accident and was give SSD cream which was very soothing and help avoid scarring so you may want to ask about that. Let me know how it goes, keeping you in my thoughts!!

RE

I hate these red itchy bumps too!
    I asked my radiation oncologist if he could give me something else besides what he has as the red bumps still itch. The only thing he would advise was for me to get benadryl, over the counter, at the drug store. The only drawback he said, was that it might put me to sleep so I should take it at night. I don't need it at night..lol Oh well.. Anyone ever use benadryl? And, how did it affect you? Thank God I am almost done!
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Noel said:

I hate these red itchy bumps too!
    I asked my radiation oncologist if he could give me something else besides what he has as the red bumps still itch. The only thing he would advise was for me to get benadryl, over the counter, at the drug store. The only drawback he said, was that it might put me to sleep so I should take it at night. I don't need it at night..lol Oh well.. Anyone ever use benadryl? And, how did it affect you? Thank God I am almost done!

Noel
    I tried the benadryl, but, I don't know if it worked. haha I went to sleep. So, I just quit taking it. I am on my boosters now and will be done next week and I cannot wait! Radiation sucks big time! I want my skin back to normal and for these red bumps and the itching to go far, far away! I was lucky..I never really burned. But, I am tan now on that side. I am reallyyyyyyyyy going to miss tanning. I might try it in a couple of months..we will see. I did ask my radiation oncologist if he would prescribe a stronger creme for me and he said he didn't want to as it could have side effects. So, if I could just deal with it a few more days..I would be done and it should get better soon. Let me know if you try the benadryl and how it works for you.
  • EveningStar2
    EveningStar2 Member Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Noel
    I tried the benadryl, but, I don't know if it worked. haha I went to sleep. So, I just quit taking it. I am on my boosters now and will be done next week and I cannot wait! Radiation sucks big time! I want my skin back to normal and for these red bumps and the itching to go far, far away! I was lucky..I never really burned. But, I am tan now on that side. I am reallyyyyyyyyy going to miss tanning. I might try it in a couple of months..we will see. I did ask my radiation oncologist if he would prescribe a stronger creme for me and he said he didn't want to as it could have side effects. So, if I could just deal with it a few more days..I would be done and it should get better soon. Let me know if you try the benadryl and how it works for you.

FYI
    There is a benadryl creme and a gel. No sleepiness.

Maureen
  • Jeanne D
    Options

FYI
    There is a benadryl creme and a gel. No sleepiness.

Maureen

There is?
    Ok..I will check into it again. Did you try benadryl? Did it help more than the creme's? And, is it over the counter too? Thanks Maureen!
  • EveningStar2
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

There is?
    Ok..I will check into it again. Did you try benadryl? Did it help more than the creme's? And, is it over the counter too? Thanks Maureen!

OTC
    It's over the counter--I was using it when I got the hives from ... whereever.

Maureen
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options

OTC

Maureen

Benadryl
    I know when I had hives a few years ago and when my son got eatten alive by those blood thirst mosquitoes I used liquid benadryl and put that right on the skin.

I tried the creams but it didn't work for me but the regular liquid right on the skin worked.

Margo
  • Noel
    Options

OTC

Maureen

I did get the benadryl and
    I did get the benadryl and it is working some. The bumps still itch, so, I don't know if there is anything that can totally take the itch away until I finish radiation. And, that will be SOON! Thank Goodness! How is your skin doing Maureen? Is it all healed now? I hope so...I am looking forward to having a normal looking chest again. I hope it won't take long after the radiation. Since I am just getting booster's now..the rest of it is actually healing fast. And, I have a nice tan. lol :)
  • Noel
    Options

Benadryl
    I know when I had hives a few years ago and when my son got eatten alive by those blood thirst mosquitoes I used liquid benadryl and put that right on the skin.

I tried the creams but it didn't work for me but the regular liquid right on the skin worked.

Margo

Thank you Margo. Is that
    Thank you Margo. Is that your son? Very, very cute! He must take after him Mom! :)
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    Noel said:

I did get the benadryl and it is working some. The bumps still itch, so, I don't know if there is anything that can totally take the itch away until I finish radiation. And, that will be SOON! Thank Goodness! How is your skin doing Maureen? Is it all healed now? I hope so...I am looking forward to having a normal looking chest again. I hope it won't take long after the radiation. Since I am just getting booster's now..the rest of it is actually healing fast. And, I have a nice tan. lol :)

I am just itching away...lol
    I am just itching away...lol

• EveningStar2
    Options
    Noel said:

Normal?
    My skin is finally healed and I can wear clothes again. The skin color is odd with peeling and radiation but that's a minor issue. Anyone seeing me naked better not be worried about that!

You gotta be on the final countdown.

Maureen
  • tommaseena
    tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
    Options
    Noel said:

Thank you Margo. Is that
    Thank you Margo. Is that your son? Very, very cute! He must take after him Mom! :)

yes
    Noel,
    Yes that is my son Jake and yes he takes after me. Spitting image of me when I was little.