Flagged

Options
tommaseena
tommaseena Member Posts: 1,769
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
All messages containing a certain name(s) have been flagged and I am assuming it is from the CSN staff. I don't know exactly why they have all been flagged or what that really means.

Maybe someone can tell me and some others on the site might not know what that means either.

Thanks,
Margo

Comments

• tommaseena
    Options
    Does this mean
    Does this mean that one person finds your message Offensive and clicks "report as offensive" then your message is flagged?
  • tommaseena
    Options

Does this mean
    Does this mean that one person finds your message Offensive and clicks "report as offensive" then your message is flagged?

another thread
    I found my answer from another persons thread.

- and hit the "Report as Offensive" line on all the posts that were "signed" by the scammer(s). So now, many of them have been "flagged" (had NEVER even thought about EVER doing this, 'til now) in order to bring them to the ACS CSN's attention.

A lot of other messages have been flagged and it might be from the ACS CSN or from someone else.

If a person asks a question regarding the site and what something means then someone should not mark it as offensive.

Thanks.
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

another thread
    I found my answer from another persons thread.

- and hit the "Report as Offensive" line on all the posts that were "signed" by the scammer(s). So now, many of them have been "flagged" (had NEVER even thought about EVER doing this, 'til now) in order to bring them to the ACS CSN's attention.

A lot of other messages have been flagged and it might be from the ACS CSN or from someone else.

If a person asks a question regarding the site and what something means then someone should not mark it as offensive.

Thanks.

I'm confused
    I'm confused. I guess I don't understand what you are saying... and how did you discover this? Do you mean anyone can "flag" anyone else's message ... just because they don't approve of what that person is saying????

teena
  • tommaseena
    Options
    tgf said:

I'm confused
    I'm confused. I guess I don't understand what you are saying... and how did you discover this? Do you mean anyone can "flag" anyone else's message ... just because they don't approve of what that person is saying????

teena

Yes
    When you create your message at the bottom there is edit, reply, report as offensive.

Apparently the first two times that I asked the question about being flagged and how to do it my messages were flagged by someone somewhere.

If someone finds one reply offensive they should just flag that one and not everyone's.

If that person who started to flag messages from the scammers only flagged those but if that is so then the so called scammers started flagging others messages.

I hope this flagging thing goes away real soon. Not all messages should be flagged as offensive.

Margo
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Yes
    When you create your message at the bottom there is edit, reply, report as offensive.

Apparently the first two times that I asked the question about being flagged and how to do it my messages were flagged by someone somewhere.

If someone finds one reply offensive they should just flag that one and not everyone's.

If that person who started to flag messages from the scammers only flagged those but if that is so then the so called scammers started flagging others messages.

I hope this flagging thing goes away real soon. Not all messages should be flagged as offensive.

Margo

I agree
    If someone has determined something to be offensive to them they should just ignore the post and move on. They should not determine what others could/should read. What they find offensive might just be helpful to others.

If one person has the power to flag/delete posts that is a form of censorship which I find unacceptable.

The people on this board should feel free to speak freely about what is on their mind. Yes ... it is also a place where we can "vent." I would hope we all feel comfortable enough with others here that we don't try to dictate what others will see and share. We should be not worry about screening and censoring posts.

I agree that we need to move on ... beyond the drama of the past few days ... and get back to the reason we are all here. We are here to care about each other ... share our knowledge, experiences, strength, and fears. We also must move beyond the anger some of us feel and instead focus on each other and supporting each other. Yes ... we might still be cautious about what we read and write ... but hopefully that "doubt" will go away soon and we will again feel comfortable opening up and caring about each other.

I know I am not going to let one incident keep me from asking questions or responding to other's questions and concerns. If I have something to contribute I want to believe I can freely write my response without people determing they do not like my post and decide to have it flagged. That "censoring" concerns me more than the recent "incident." If this site is going to have each and every post "judged" on the basis of what other's find offensive ... then I think I must leave the sight. I came here because I felt at home. I felt warmth and honest caring acceptance... but if that acceptance turns into having every post censored ... then the freedom to speak freely is gone. And I too will be gone.

teena
  • tommaseena
    Options
    tgf said:

I agree
    If someone has determined something to be offensive to them they should just ignore the post and move on. They should not determine what others could/should read. What they find offensive might just be helpful to others.

If one person has the power to flag/delete posts that is a form of censorship which I find unacceptable.

The people on this board should feel free to speak freely about what is on their mind. Yes ... it is also a place where we can "vent." I would hope we all feel comfortable enough with others here that we don't try to dictate what others will see and share. We should be not worry about screening and censoring posts.

I agree that we need to move on ... beyond the drama of the past few days ... and get back to the reason we are all here. We are here to care about each other ... share our knowledge, experiences, strength, and fears. We also must move beyond the anger some of us feel and instead focus on each other and supporting each other. Yes ... we might still be cautious about what we read and write ... but hopefully that "doubt" will go away soon and we will again feel comfortable opening up and caring about each other.

I know I am not going to let one incident keep me from asking questions or responding to other's questions and concerns. If I have something to contribute I want to believe I can freely write my response without people determing they do not like my post and decide to have it flagged. That "censoring" concerns me more than the recent "incident." If this site is going to have each and every post "judged" on the basis of what other's find offensive ... then I think I must leave the sight. I came here because I felt at home. I felt warmth and honest caring acceptance... but if that acceptance turns into having every post censored ... then the freedom to speak freely is gone. And I too will be gone.

teena

Stay
    Please stay there are a lot of us that just joined, I joined in Feb., and I believe this site is a wonderful site with many helpful people of all stages of this journey. I am staying here and I will still ask questions and answer things when I can. I will be leary as others will too.

Margo

P.S. I believe anyone can report a reply as offensive and then it goes to the CSN board and they decide if it gets pulled/deleted.
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    tgf said:

I agree

teena

Please don't leave, teena...
    I'm with my friend, Margo, on this. I joined not yet even 2 weeks ago. Had already decided this was the best thing I had done since BC hit me. Then, this mess - hoax - scam - whatever happened. Which was both disheartening & frightening to me and so many others.

I was/still am leery about the other general social networking sites - like Facebook & MySpace - (I know, call me old-fashioned) because it's so easy for people to pretend they're someone they are not. I felt safe here. After all, who in their RIGHT MIND would PRETEND to have cancer? Or, PREY on cancer survivors? Well, we have all learned that evil and/or sick people can find their way in anywhere on the internet.

We are all here to discuss our cancer experiences, help & share advice, support & encourage each other. That is why we all join the group. This is why the ACS created & maintains this forum for us. Please don't allow the cruel actions of one nutjob to stop you from communicating freely.

I had made up my mind earlier today to just "get on with it"... You know, try to forget about the whole fiasco & move forward. I have been saddened by so many posts, from others who've been here much longer than me, speaking of leaving the group.

As I stated in another thread, I really wish the ACS CSN staff would post a message of some sort of reassurance to all of us about the unfortunate incident.

Kind regards, Susan
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options

Please don't leave, teena...
    I'm with my friend, Margo, on this. I joined not yet even 2 weeks ago. Had already decided this was the best thing I had done since BC hit me. Then, this mess - hoax - scam - whatever happened. Which was both disheartening & frightening to me and so many others.

I was/still am leery about the other general social networking sites - like Facebook & MySpace - (I know, call me old-fashioned) because it's so easy for people to pretend they're someone they are not. I felt safe here. After all, who in their RIGHT MIND would PRETEND to have cancer? Or, PREY on cancer survivors? Well, we have all learned that evil and/or sick people can find their way in anywhere on the internet.

We are all here to discuss our cancer experiences, help & share advice, support & encourage each other. That is why we all join the group. This is why the ACS created & maintains this forum for us. Please don't allow the cruel actions of one nutjob to stop you from communicating freely.

I had made up my mind earlier today to just "get on with it"... You know, try to forget about the whole fiasco & move forward. I have been saddened by so many posts, from others who've been here much longer than me, speaking of leaving the group.

As I stated in another thread, I really wish the ACS CSN staff would post a message of some sort of reassurance to all of us about the unfortunate incident.

Kind regards, Susan

I agree...
    Susan,

I agree with all you've said, especially the part about ACS/CSN writing some sort of an overall explanatory statement to us as to what they found re: was She truly a survivor or not and whether or not they have contacted her school and advised some sort of counseling or other help(which I think they would have the right to do since she was a part of the Relay for Life there and exists on the pages of the Relay).

Also, Teena...come on! PLEASE stay and just let this all go. Things happen, just like cancer happens -- neither is good, but we keep going, right? We are strong here. We can certainly survive this.

I have never posted on a board like this; I don't "do" Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, or any of that stuff. And honestly, the only reason I am here is because it is helping me cope with the anxiety of my upcoming surgery and all the unknowns that will follow after that. Everyone here is so great, and there is so much wisdom and compassion to be shared.

I don't show my fear to anyone, and this is the first time I will come out and say it: I am scared about all the things I don't know will happen in the next few weeks and months, and I really NEED all of you here. I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid of pain and weakness. I am afraid of leaning on people, of being dependent, of being a burden.

So Teena, RE, Claudia, and all of you who are considering leaving, I really, really, really hope you don't, from a purely selfish point of view.

Goodnight, my friends. I love you all.

Debi
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    bfbear said:

I agree...
    Susan,

I agree with all you've said, especially the part about ACS/CSN writing some sort of an overall explanatory statement to us as to what they found re: was She truly a survivor or not and whether or not they have contacted her school and advised some sort of counseling or other help(which I think they would have the right to do since she was a part of the Relay for Life there and exists on the pages of the Relay).

Also, Teena...come on! PLEASE stay and just let this all go. Things happen, just like cancer happens -- neither is good, but we keep going, right? We are strong here. We can certainly survive this.

I have never posted on a board like this; I don't "do" Facebook, Twitter, MySpace, or any of that stuff. And honestly, the only reason I am here is because it is helping me cope with the anxiety of my upcoming surgery and all the unknowns that will follow after that. Everyone here is so great, and there is so much wisdom and compassion to be shared.

I don't show my fear to anyone, and this is the first time I will come out and say it: I am scared about all the things I don't know will happen in the next few weeks and months, and I really NEED all of you here. I am not afraid of death, but I am afraid of pain and weakness. I am afraid of leaning on people, of being dependent, of being a burden.

So Teena, RE, Claudia, and all of you who are considering leaving, I really, really, really hope you don't, from a purely selfish point of view.

Goodnight, my friends. I love you all.

Debi

flagged content
    CSN members may flag content that they find questionable. It is a standard feature utilized by online communities as a way to alert community managers about a possible site violation. Flagged content is reviewed by community managers. It is either unflagged because it is not determined to be a site violation or it is deleted as a site violation.

It is the policy of the American Cancer Society and the Cancer Survivors Network to protect the privacy of its constituents/members. We are unable to comment about specific CSN members.

If you have reason to suspect or doubt what someone says, it is best to ignore the person and alert CSN staff about your concerns. Online communities and the development of online relationships are similar to face-to-face communities and relationships.

The American Cancer Society privacy statement and terms and conditions agreed upon by its members provide guidelines for both members and the Society. CSN members are encouraged not to post personal identifiers on the site. Posting personal information about others without their permission is prohibited.

Best regards,
    Your CSN Staff
  • Eil4186
    Eil4186 Member Posts: 949
    Options
    Is CSN deleting posts now?
    I posted a message to M yesterday evening expressing my feelings about what happened and that I hoped that she could find help, but I don't see it anywhere. Is CSN staff deleting posts?
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    Eil4186 said:

Is CSN deleting posts now?
    I posted a message to M yesterday evening expressing my feelings about what happened and that I hoped that she could find help, but I don't see it anywhere. Is CSN staff deleting posts?

deleted posts
    When a member requests that something they posted be removed, all replies to it are automatically deleted. The same thing happens when when someone's account is disabled. CSN staff also delete posts that are found to be in violation of terms and conditions of the site. Fortunately, this happens very rarely. :-)

If anyone ever wants us to remove or edit one of their posts, all they have to do is let us know.
  • bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options

deleted posts
    When a member requests that something they posted be removed, all replies to it are automatically deleted. The same thing happens when when someone's account is disabled. CSN staff also delete posts that are found to be in violation of terms and conditions of the site. Fortunately, this happens very rarely. :-)

If anyone ever wants us to remove or edit one of their posts, all they have to do is let us know.

Thanks for the info!
    Obviously you guys/gals at CSN are keeping a close(r) eye on our discussion board lately, due to the recent "problems." I'm glad to hear that these problems are rare. :-)
    Thank you so much!!!!!
    Debi