Faslodex

Options
ohilly
ohilly Member Posts: 441
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Does anyone know anything about this new drug, Faslodex? I read a little on the internet that it might be superior to AIs in preventing recurrence?

Ohilly

Comments

• Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    ANYONE???
    USING IT????? I'M ABOUT TO BE SWITCHED, SO I'D LIKE TO HEAR SOME STORIES, IF YOU HAVE ANY.
  • CypressCynthia
    CypressCynthia Member Posts: 4,014 Member
    Options
    I have read about it because my onc mentioned it...
    and I think that faslodex (fulvestrant) is a very exciting addition to hormone therapy. From what I have read, fulvestrant actually destroys the receptor sites on the tumor so that ER dependent tumors can no longer "feed themselves" and thus it starves the ER+ tumors.

My onc said he would use it if my arimidex quit working. Since the arimidex is working well for me, I will continue on it. However, I would try the faslodex in a minute if the arimidex stopped working. Adverse effects appear similar to arimidex. I will list them (from epocrates) below.

Faslodex Adverse Reactions:

Serious Reactions
    hypersensitivity rxn
    anemia
    leukopenia
    thromboembolism

Common Reactions
    injection site pain
    nausea
    bone pain
    arthralgia
    headache
    back pain
    fatigue
    extremity pain
    hot flashes
    vomiting
    anorexia
    asthenia
    musculoskeletal pain
    cough
    constipation
    dyspnea
    LFTs elevated
  • SIROD
    SIROD Member Posts: 2,194 Member
    Options
    Faslodex
    Faslodex was approved in 2002, so it's not a new drug. It is a shot in the buttocks or hips. It is classified as an ERD (estrogen receptor downregulator) hormonal therapy not an aromatase inhibitor.

It has recently had approval of injecting 500 mg instead of 250 mg.

I chose this drug after my 3rd recurrence and was given a booster of 500 mg the first time, 2 weeks later I received a 250 mg shot and 2 weeks later another 250. A ct scan showed that I stop the tumors in their tracks (widespread pulmonary and pleural metastasis). From that point on I received one 250 mg once a month. The shot of 250 mg is $2000.00. When I had the 500 mg as a booster it was $4000.00 that day. I was a little shock!

There was little progress with this drug and I remain on it for 7 months until progression.

I inquired recently from my oncologist if we could do Faslodex again since the dosage was increase. The reply was the benefit is limited and it was the drug company that pushed for the higher dose. $4000.00 is better than $2000.00 in their pockets.

The shot doesn't hurt, at least for me it didn't. If you place all your weight on the side that isn't receiving the shot. The side that is, the muscle is relaxed and that helps a lot.

It works for some, it doesn't for others. One never knows until one tries. For me it wasn't a great drug compared to AI.

SIROD
  • SIROD
    Options

I have read about it because my onc mentioned it...
    and I think that faslodex (fulvestrant) is a very exciting addition to hormone therapy. From what I have read, fulvestrant actually destroys the receptor sites on the tumor so that ER dependent tumors can no longer "feed themselves" and thus it starves the ER+ tumors.

My onc said he would use it if my arimidex quit working. Since the arimidex is working well for me, I will continue on it. However, I would try the faslodex in a minute if the arimidex stopped working. Adverse effects appear similar to arimidex. I will list them (from epocrates) below.

Faslodex Adverse Reactions:

Serious Reactions
    hypersensitivity rxn
    anemia
    leukopenia
    thromboembolism

Common Reactions
    injection site pain
    nausea
    bone pain
    arthralgia
    headache
    back pain
    fatigue
    extremity pain
    hot flashes
    vomiting
    anorexia
    asthenia
    musculoskeletal pain
    cough
    constipation
    dyspnea
    LFTs elevated

Side Effects
    The only side effect I had on Faslodex was a little nausea in my 6 month using Faslodex.

SIROD
  • New Flower
    New Flower Member Posts: 4,294
    Options
    SIROD said:

Faslodex
    Faslodex was approved in 2002, so it's not a new drug. It is a shot in the buttocks or hips. It is classified as an ERD (estrogen receptor downregulator) hormonal therapy not an aromatase inhibitor.

It has recently had approval of injecting 500 mg instead of 250 mg.

I chose this drug after my 3rd recurrence and was given a booster of 500 mg the first time, 2 weeks later I received a 250 mg shot and 2 weeks later another 250. A ct scan showed that I stop the tumors in their tracks (widespread pulmonary and pleural metastasis). From that point on I received one 250 mg once a month. The shot of 250 mg is $2000.00. When I had the 500 mg as a booster it was $4000.00 that day. I was a little shock!

There was little progress with this drug and I remain on it for 7 months until progression.

I inquired recently from my oncologist if we could do Faslodex again since the dosage was increase. The reply was the benefit is limited and it was the drug company that pushed for the higher dose. $4000.00 is better than $2000.00 in their pockets.

The shot doesn't hurt, at least for me it didn't. If you place all your weight on the side that isn't receiving the shot. The side that is, the muscle is relaxed and that helps a lot.

It works for some, it doesn't for others. One never knows until one tries. For me it wasn't a great drug compared to AI.

SIROD

Question to Doris
    Hi Dorris,

I am not sure weather or not I understand correctly about your treatment: you have been taking both Faslodex and Femara?
    Thanks
  • SIROD
    Options

Question to Doris
    Hi Dorris,

I am not sure weather or not I understand correctly about your treatment: you have been taking both Faslodex and Femara?
    Thanks

To Reply to your Question New Flower
    I am on my 4th hormonal, (Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Faslodex, and Femara). Tomorrow I receive the results of my PET/CT scan taken today.

Hoping and etc. to stay on Femara. It's the drug that I have a love/hate relationship with due to the pain it gives me. It increases the pain on another medical condition that I have. I always say the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

We will see what the results of today's PET/CT scan is, as where things are now.

You can only do one drug on the hormonal therapy at a time.

Best,

Doris
  • Mama G
    Mama G Member Posts: 762
    Options
    SIROD said:

To Reply to your Question New Flower
    I am on my 4th hormonal, (Tamoxifen, Arimidex, Faslodex, and Femara). Tomorrow I receive the results of my PET/CT scan taken today.

Hoping and etc. to stay on Femara. It's the drug that I have a love/hate relationship with due to the pain it gives me. It increases the pain on another medical condition that I have. I always say the devil you know is better than the devil you don't.

We will see what the results of today's PET/CT scan is, as where things are now.

You can only do one drug on the hormonal therapy at a time.

Best,

Doris

How did your pt/ct scan go, sirod?
    and just trying to keep this up in case anyone else has any advice. I start on the Fasladex next week.