Pre-Surgery testing questions

Options
idlehunters
idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
Hi Everybody,

Blood tests, EKG, talk to anesthesia and nurse. That was it. They suggested something in my spine for pain management????? Not a spinal but I can't remember what he called it. What pregnant ladies get. He said it would make me just about pain free in stomach. Port would be wired up my back and taped over my shoulder. Central line to be put in after I am put out. I am REAL worried about this tube they will be leaving down my throat to suck stuff out as I am a REAL gaggy person and it will make me puke. Also, there is going to be a second surgeon in there putting in a stint in my bladder I think.... is this common??? Anyone have this done? They didn't do any more x-rays. Feeling a little better and just want to get the surgery over so I know what I am dealing with.

Comments

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Welcome!
    Hi Idlehunters!

First, I don't think I've welcomed you to the boards here... so a big, hearty welcome to you!!

Let me assure you, from everything you mentioned above, all is totally normal. Granted, it doesn't matter what kind of surgery you are getting, it is normal and very human to be anxious and nervous. If here are any words I could say to calm your nerves, then consider them said... you are going to do just fine!

The pain management that you mentioned is called an "epidural". Yes, women can have an epidural during child labour for pain management and that is exactly what you will be getting although for a totally different kind of pain ;) Again, it is very common for the epidural to be put in the back and this will numb the surgical area. There are two common types of pain management... the epidural that you will be getting or the "pain pump" where it is set to give dosages of pain med through an IV. The patient administers how often they want the medication... although it is set so that you can't overdose. Depending on how often the patient uses the medication, the nurses/doctors can tell by how often the pump button has been clicked. The epidural is a wonderful way to monitor pain... you are going to become attached to it and will miss it when they take it out :)

Do not worry about the epidural line... it is extremely thin, so you won't even notice it if you are lying on it.

Now, as for the tube down your throat... I'm not sure what one you mean. Whenever anyone is put under a general anesthetic, a tube is put down your throat while you are under the anesthetic. It is actually a breathing tube because you need help breathing when under anesthesia... but that tube is taken out before you awaken, so I don't think there will be a tube down your throat when you wake up.

I had the second surgeon as well. Heck, I had a whole second surgical team ... hehehe... it would have been real crowded in the operating room once I was put out ;) The second surgeon put 2 or 3 stents in my bladder. I can't remember exactly why right now (I'd have to look it up) but I think it had something to do with where they were cutting was very close to the bladder plus, the abscess around my tumour, which they had to take out was attached to my bladder and abdominal wall. Hece the stents so that the bladder didn't collapse or anything.

So yes, everything you mentioned above is all very normal. You are going to be under a general anesthetic so you won't notice a thing that they are all doing. When you wake up, after recovery, you are going to just be so thankful it's all over. And while you have that epidural in, you are going to feel just fine :)

When do you go in for your surgery?

Huggggggs,

Cheryl
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    confused
    Port wired up your back and taped over your shoulder???? My port is UNDER the skin by my collar bone and the lab techs insert a needle through my skin every other week for chemo. When chemo is done, there is nothing left but a teeny hole that doesn't even bleed. No tape or wired up back. You see nothing! I emailed you a link to a picture of my powerport.

Why a central line and a port?

Has the doctor told you yet what he found on the CT scans other than 'not normal'?

Will surgery be in a larger town? I live in a very rural area, too, but just 20 miles away is a great hospital.
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • dianetavegia
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Full diet
    Babs, I was put on a regular diet before lunch the day after a late afternoon surgery. Doctor said he was sorry he didn't make it over before breakfast or I could have eaten then.

Maybe it depends on each surgeon or if it's a lap instead of a full open incision.

Idlehunter's doctor won't tell her much. I'm about to head up to Illinois and slap him silly! LOL
  • Full diet
    Babs, I was put on a regular diet before lunch the day after a late afternoon surgery. Doctor said he was sorry he didn't make it over before breakfast or I could have eaten then.

Maybe it depends on each surgeon or if it's a lap instead of a full open incision.

Idlehunter's doctor won't tell her much. I'm about to head up to Illinois and slap him silly! LOL

• CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    unknown said:

Eating after surgery
    Babs... I was like you after surgery. First a clear liquid diet (clear broths, juices and jello) for a couple of days and then a semi-liquid (I forget what that included but it wasn't too exciting) and I didn't actually eat solid food until the last day I was in the hospital. I had also been on a clear liquid diet prior to the surgery... for THREE weeks while they fought the perotonitis infection with IV antibiotics. They were being very cautious since it was possible I would have needed emergency surgery at any time. Of course, I was also on the intravenous feeding... that big bag of white stuff that I can't remember the name but it was so that I was getting the proper nutrients. I had absolutely no appetite and hadn't for a month prior to coming to the hospital, so had arrived malnourished.

But no, the stents in the bladder are not a catheter (had that as well). The stents were so that the bladder does not collapse during surgery. Totally different surgical team.

And as far as I know, the tube/catheter over the shoulder is the epidural line. The entry point is in the back but the line itself will come over the shoulder, externally and the pain meds will be administered via a bag on the pole, like the saline solution and other bags.

My surgery was abdominal and not laprascopical, so maybe if it's laprascopical you can eat. But no, I wasn't allowed to eat any solids after the surgery for a good week to allow the intestines a chance to heal.

Huggggs,

Cheryl
  • dianetavegia
    Options

Eating after surgery
    Babs... I was like you after surgery. First a clear liquid diet (clear broths, juices and jello) for a couple of days and then a semi-liquid (I forget what that included but it wasn't too exciting) and I didn't actually eat solid food until the last day I was in the hospital. I had also been on a clear liquid diet prior to the surgery... for THREE weeks while they fought the perotonitis infection with IV antibiotics. They were being very cautious since it was possible I would have needed emergency surgery at any time. Of course, I was also on the intravenous feeding... that big bag of white stuff that I can't remember the name but it was so that I was getting the proper nutrients. I had absolutely no appetite and hadn't for a month prior to coming to the hospital, so had arrived malnourished.

But no, the stents in the bladder are not a catheter (had that as well). The stents were so that the bladder does not collapse during surgery. Totally different surgical team.

And as far as I know, the tube/catheter over the shoulder is the epidural line. The entry point is in the back but the line itself will come over the shoulder, externally and the pain meds will be administered via a bag on the pole, like the saline solution and other bags.

My surgery was abdominal and not laprascopical, so maybe if it's laprascopical you can eat. But no, I wasn't allowed to eat any solids after the surgery for a good week to allow the intestines a chance to heal.

Huggggs,

Cheryl

For pain
    I had a TEENY tube going into a teeny hole in my tummy which connected to a small pump that laid on the bed or hung over my shoulder. The nurse came in about 36 hours after surgery and just yanked it out. I didn't even feel it. I thought it was some sort of drain but she said it was a Novocaine??? type med.

I hadn't been able to eat well for 2 months and nothing but liquids for almost 3 weeks due to blockage. I was starved. For my first meal, I had beef pot roast.
  • idlehunters
    idlehunters Member Posts: 1,787 Member
    Options
    unknown said:

Babs211..... YES!! That is the tube I am Talking About!!!
    So NO gagging...choking...puking???? You just got use to it for a few day???? That is great to hear... thank you
  • Babs211..... YES!! That is the tube I am Talking About!!!
    So NO gagging...choking...puking???? You just got use to it for a few day???? That is great to hear... thank you