BFBEAR/Debi ATTENTION

Options
Noel
Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I have posted several times asking you this and I hope you will reply now. The procedure you wrote about inre to your plastic surgeon was something I had never heard of before..an almost scarless mastectomy? I had a lumpectomy, but, I would, as I am sure others, would like to know/read more about it. Can you please tell me the name of your surgeon and what hospital or cancer center they practice at? I assume somewhere in Montana? Thank you!

Comments

• bfbear
    bfbear Member Posts: 380
    Options
    Noel
    Hi Noel,

I am SO sorry I've missed your posts somehow!!!

My surgeon's name and info is as follows:

Loren L. Rourke, M.D. (Breast Surgical Oncologist)
    BASS Center
    310 Sunnyview Lane
    Kalispell, MT 59901
    ph: 406-257-6464 fax: 406-751-6690

The hospital she works out of is the Kalispell Regional Medical Center.
    She has trained at MD Anderson in Houston, TX, and was the recipient of a Susan G. Komen grant.

Hugs to you,
    Debi
  • tlmac
    tlmac Member Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    Scarless Mastectomy
    It's referred to as the Peg Procedure and isn't really new. It as developed by Dr. Edward Knowlton and was published as the lead article in the September, 1992 issue of Contemporary Surgery. In 1994, the peg procedures were presented at the American Society of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgeons' annual meeting in San Diego.

This approach allows the surgeon to hide a mastectomy scar within the natural anatomical contours of the breast, such as around the areola. The breast can then be reconstructed using the body's own tissue or with a breast implant.

You should know that the skin-sparing or peg procedure is not suitable for all women considering breast reconstruction. I'm certain your own surgeon could discuss it's appropriateness for you or refer you somewhere in your area.

To read more about peg procedures, check out this link: http://www.mdcare.com/pages/patient-article-all.html

Hope this helps.
    terri
  • Noel
    Noel Member Posts: 3,095 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the info!
    I had a lumpectomy and am currently in radiation. So, no need for that surgery for me. I had just read on here where bfbear posted it and I had never heard of it. It sounds like such a wonderful thing for someone who has to or chooses to have a mastectomy. All I had ever seen were the mastectomy's with the big scars, so, it is wonderful that they have this alternative. I read the article also that you linked to. It is amazing! Thank you both of you again!