just found out my dad has colon cancer

Options
robynmarie
robynmarie Member Posts: 4
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
My family and I just found out Monday that my dad has colon cancer. He went in for a colonoscopy and they found a growth which they biopsied and it came back as cancer. He had blood work and a CAT scan done today to see if the cancer spread to any other areas. He had a physical a few weeks ago and had a chest x-ray done that came back normal as well as his blood work. He is 55 and his father had colon cancer but had no other complications after having a colostomy. He is meeting with a surgeon on Friday to go over the results and determine where to go from there. We are praying that it was caught early enough that he will just have to have the resection and we can go from there. I find comfort in reading the posts on this board and hearing about all the successes. Please keep my dad and our family in your thoughts and prayers that we receive good news on Friday.

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Your Family
    Your family is absolutely in my thoughts and prayers. Please post on Friday as I will be looking for the news, GOOD news of course! Regardless, we will be here for you.

Hugs,

Kimby
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Dad
    I am so sorry to hear of your father's diagnosis. You have come to a great place for support and help. Please do not go on the internet to look at statistics they are old and outdated and everyone is different and the treatment is so more far advanced than before.

You will be in my thoughts and prayers.

I know that the waiting is going to be hard for you. Let us know when you find out.

Kim
  • marc24
    marc24 Member Posts: 92
    Options
    hello..
    we have something in common..we found out my mom had colon cancer too just a month ago...my mom just had her first chemo treatment..trust me, you found a great site for information and support..all i can say is hope the best for your father and its amazing how everytime i check into this forum, there are almost always a new instance of a family member or someone who just found out that they are affected by this disease. I wished really that there is a cure for this cancer, if not now, but soon..since it just plain sucks.
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Praying
    We'll be praying for you and your family, especially your dad. Let us know what you find out on Friday!

*hugs*
    Gail
  • johnnybegood
    johnnybegood Member Posts: 1,117 Member
    Options
    tootsie1 said:

Praying
    We'll be praying for you and your family, especially your dad. Let us know what you find out on Friday!

*hugs*
    Gail

welcome
    so glad you found us.this is the best site for comfort.there are days i would not have made it if it werent for my semi colon friends.tell your dad good luck and even if he wants to join in on a post or two Godbless....johnnybegood
  • robynmarie
    Options

welcome
    so glad you found us.this is the best site for comfort.there are days i would not have made it if it werent for my semi colon friends.tell your dad good luck and even if he wants to join in on a post or two Godbless....johnnybegood

thank you
    thank you for all the support and praying...the waiting is the hardest as well as trying to keep my dad positive. I will post tomorrow after I get word from my parents about the outcome of his appointment. Please continue to pray for him and that we caught it in time. Thanks so much.
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    said a prayer
    I pray that God comforts all of you in the days and weeks and months ahead as you find out the stage of your father's disease and what treatment will be necessary. I am sure that your father is doubly scared since his father has also done battle with this particular beast. We will all be looking for your post tomorrow on the results of your father's scan.
    mary
  • PhillieG
    PhillieG Member Posts: 4,866 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear this
    Robyn, but it sounds like they may have caught it early and when it's caught early, it's very easy to beat. This forum is very good, the people are great and we all try to help out the best we can. One good thing is that you get different experiences from all of us, no two of us are alike so I find that helpful. As others may have said, try to stay off many of the sites you may find about colon cancer. Much of that data is old and outdated and if you believe all of it, it can drive you nuts!
    Keep us posted and ask away.
    Best wishes to your family
    -phil
  • robynmarie
    Options
    PhillieG said:

Sorry to hear this
    Robyn, but it sounds like they may have caught it early and when it's caught early, it's very easy to beat. This forum is very good, the people are great and we all try to help out the best we can. One good thing is that you get different experiences from all of us, no two of us are alike so I find that helpful. As others may have said, try to stay off many of the sites you may find about colon cancer. Much of that data is old and outdated and if you believe all of it, it can drive you nuts!
    Keep us posted and ask away.
    Best wishes to your family
    -phil

My dad met with his surgeon today and received some promising news. His scan came back with no signs of abnormalities on it..his chest x-ray came back clean so she said there were no tumors in distant organs. He is scheduled for surgery on May 12th to remove the growth. His surgeon feels it may have spread to the lymph nodes but is very optimistic that chemo will take care of that. She will learn more when she goes in to operate but said that it is very treatable. We were very relieved to get this news today although we know that he has some hard times a head of him. I am now about 5 months pregnant and this was such a relief. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I will keep you updated on the surgery but we are hopeful that it will all go smoothly. He will be having a resection done and will be in the hospital for about 5 days. He went in thinking the worst case scenario and left with a lot of those negative feelings removed. He will be a Pepere in September and I am happy that we could have this news at this time :)
  • kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options

My dad met with his surgeon today and received some promising news. His scan came back with no signs of abnormalities on it..his chest x-ray came back clean so she said there were no tumors in distant organs. He is scheduled for surgery on May 12th to remove the growth. His surgeon feels it may have spread to the lymph nodes but is very optimistic that chemo will take care of that. She will learn more when she goes in to operate but said that it is very treatable. We were very relieved to get this news today although we know that he has some hard times a head of him. I am now about 5 months pregnant and this was such a relief. Thank you all for your thoughts and prayers. I will keep you updated on the surgery but we are hopeful that it will all go smoothly. He will be having a resection done and will be in the hospital for about 5 days. He went in thinking the worst case scenario and left with a lot of those negative feelings removed. He will be a Pepere in September and I am happy that we could have this news at this time :)

Good News
    I am so happy that you got encouraging news! Here's hoping this is just the beginning of a series of happy, healthy, promising events. Congrats on your upcoming birth!

Kimby
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options

Wonderful
    So glad that the news sounds so promising. I am glad that your dad feels more optomistic after his news today also. Even though no one wants to hear the "c" word it is good it did not spread. Kim
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    Sounds like great news!
    That's very encouraging, Robynmarie! Hope you'll keep us updated but that sounds like good news all around!

You and your siblings need to be cautious and stay on top of this since Grandpa also had cc.

Congrats on the upcoming birth!

Diane