Hans update #4

Options
KathiM
KathiM Member Posts: 8,028 Member
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
WHEW! It's been a wild few weeks!

Hans is doing better and better. He is capable of functioning at 'normal' levels...the only thing missing is his incredible retention (he could quote you on something you said to him, 10 years ago, word for word). But, he is better. He ended up with a stress ulcer, and, after 4 failed attempts at filling a perscription (all denied for lack of pre-authorization),I found myself on the phone with Blue Cross, throwing myself on their mercy, asking what med, what strength, and what dosage I could have the doc that was standing by (who had called in the other, failed, scripts) call in to keep Hans out of the ER with a dilaudid IV drip.

I HATE the life of a caregiver...lol! But, at least now, he says 'Thank you' for my work...I think someone took him aside and shared with him how lucky he was to have me in there pitching...

Thank you all, again, for all of your thoughts and prayers...it is what made all the difference!!!

BIG hugs, Kathi

Comments

• dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options
    That's great, Kathi!
    I prayed for you and Hans when I woke during the night. I'm so glad to see the update!

God bless,
    Diane
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Pre-Authorization?
    Ok... my ignorance is showing here. Who is suppose to pre-authorize a prescription that a doctor writes??? I understand the policy of checking and possibly double checking that a prescription has been ordered by a legitimate doctor, but once that has been determined, who is undermining the doctor's authority?

If Han's doctor has filled out a prescription, what other doctor needs to "pre-authorize" it? I'm confused as to why you had to beg Blue Cross to tell you what med, what strength and what dosage you have to have the doc prescribe? Why would the insurance company be telling the doctor what to prescribe??

Am I missing something here?
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • KathiM
    Options

Pre-Authorization?
    Ok... my ignorance is showing here. Who is suppose to pre-authorize a prescription that a doctor writes??? I understand the policy of checking and possibly double checking that a prescription has been ordered by a legitimate doctor, but once that has been determined, who is undermining the doctor's authority?

If Han's doctor has filled out a prescription, what other doctor needs to "pre-authorize" it? I'm confused as to why you had to beg Blue Cross to tell you what med, what strength and what dosage you have to have the doc prescribe? Why would the insurance company be telling the doctor what to prescribe??

Am I missing something here?

Nah, just ol' American Blue, White, and Red Tape...lol!
    Insurance companies have 'reasonable and customary' brands of drugs for each and every illness. These are the ones they cover. Within this is (I didn't know THIS) a 'reasonable and customary' strength and dosage...so, if it doesn't fit, the doctor MUST call first, and get authorization...I know, I know...crazy!!!!!

So that is why I threw myself on their mercy. And, it isn't just Blue Cross...my insurance, Healthnet, wouldn't cover the perscribed drug AT ALL, and recommended another within the same category, but that worked a bit differently...sigh...insurance companies playing doctor...VERY scary!!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options
    unknown said:

This comment has been removed by the Moderator

Thank you, dearheart!
    Yes, having been both a patient and a caregiver...I'll take patient any day!!! ROFL!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • KathiM
    Options

That's great, Kathi!
    I prayed for you and Hans when I woke during the night. I'm so glad to see the update!

God bless,
    Diane

Thank you, my dear!!!!
    I felt a great warmness and peace when I awoke in the night....must have been your prayers!!!

Hugs, Kathi
  • msccolon
    msccolon Member Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    what good news!
    It is so good that Hans is darn near back to normal, and I am sure you are relieved, even if you HAVE had to fight with the insurance people. How well I know THAT nightmare! Also glad Hans has seen the light on how lucky he is to have you! Luckily I haven't had any issues with prescriptions outside of not being able to fill more than 2 Emend packets in a given 30 day period and nearly having to take a treatment without it! I learned to stock up after that! I pray that Hans continues to recover, and for continuing health for you as well! Stay strong, gal!
    mary
  • tootsie1
    tootsie1 Member Posts: 5,044 Member
    Options
    Wonderful!
    Kathi,

You know I've been praying for you and Hans and hoping to read a post like this. I was so hoping he'd get so much better! I'm SO happy for both of you.

*hugs*
    Gail
  • kristasplace
    kristasplace Member Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    Good to hear!
    I was wondering how the two of you were doing, Kathi! So glad the news is better. He sounds like an incredibly strong person...just like you! Maybe no naked dance just yet...you must rest some first!

Many hugs,
    Krista
  • jams67
    jams67 Member Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    Hans
    I almost with I hadn't log on to see you and Hans going through all of this. I will keep you both in my prayers. Jo Ann
  • VickiCO
    VickiCO Member Posts: 917
    Options
    Good news!
    So glad Hans is doing well, and you are regaining control to help him.

Many hugs and prayers. Vicki
  • kmygil
    kmygil Member Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Yay!
    Kathi, it's so good to hear that Hans is coming along well. You are the absoluteliest (yep, made that one up) amazing, strong woman! Hans IS VERY LUCKY! I've been praying for you both; hang in there, you know that all things pass...

Hugs,
    Kirsten