Quercetin + Vitamin C

Options
isabelle33
isabelle33 Member Posts: 2
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
Has anyone tried the supplements Quercetin + Vitamin C against breast cancer? Quercetin is a supplement that is extracted from fruits. In vitro research indicates it can kill cancer cells. Animal studies also show that Quercetin can work against tumors.

These supplements are sold everywhere at vitamin stores.

I'm looking for testimonials here. Did anyone tried these supplements with good results?

Comments

• Jeanne D
    Jeanne D Member Posts: 1,867
    Options
    isabelle
    I don't know..I haven't heard or read about that. I currently cannot be on any vitamins etc, as I am taking radiation treatments and that is a big NONO! I am sure someone here can reply with an answer to help you.
  • mono5
    mono5 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

isabelle
    I don't know..I haven't heard or read about that. I currently cannot be on any vitamins etc, as I am taking radiation treatments and that is a big NONO! I am sure someone here can reply with an answer to help you.

Why NONO... on vitamins while on radiation??
    Vitamins are antioxidients! Food contains natural antioxidients... Maybe we stop eating while on radiation and chemotherapy??? Some oncologists say nay and others say yah. The myth is dispelled on this Article in a pdf file I paid dearly for from cancerdecisions.com I'll be glad to email to anyone interested N/C or you can log onto www.cancerdecisions,com. and pay for it. It well forth it! It's intitled: SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPY TAKE ANTIOXIDENTS? It covers the pros and cons.
    Some synthetic vitamins are actually prescribed to cancer patients while on treatment the article points out.
  • [Deleted User]
    Options
    mono5 said:

Vitamins are antioxidients! Food contains natural antioxidients... Maybe we stop eating while on radiation and chemotherapy??? Some oncologists say nay and others say yah. The myth is dispelled on this Article in a pdf file I paid dearly for from cancerdecisions.com I'll be glad to email to anyone interested N/C or you can log onto www.cancerdecisions,com. and pay for it. It well forth it! It's intitled: SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPY TAKE ANTIOXIDENTS? It covers the pros and cons.
    Some synthetic vitamins are actually prescribed to cancer patients while on treatment the article points out.

Vitamins and radiotherapy
    For anyone interested in knowing more about quercitin, you might want to read about it on the American Cancer Society Web site at http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_5_3x_Quercetin.asp?sitearea=ETO.

These 2 articles discuss antioxidants and cancer treatment may also be of interest:
    1) http://www.cancer.org/docroot/ETO/content/ETO_1_4X_Other_general_health_concerns.asp?sitearea=ETO
    2) http://www.cancer.org/docroot/mbc/content/MBC_6_2x_FAQ_Nutrition_and_Physical_Activity.asp?sitearea=MH
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    mono5 said:

Mono5
    If you go to the sites on the American Cancer Society website that the staff here posted..you will see the answer as to why taking vitamins, especiallly A, E and C may make radiation therapy less effective by reducing damage to the cancer cells. As always, anyone who is taking radiation treatments need to ask their doctor about any vitamins they are or have been taking. :)
  • mono5
    mono5 Member Posts: 94
    Options
    Jeanne D
    I'm aware of the information from ACS... I'ts mirrored in the information in the PDF file I

mentioned in my pervious post.

That Proposed Mechanism of Interaction between antioxidients and radiation as well as

chemotherapy was also detailed in the above PDF file, but taken a step further. In

September 2005 Gabriella D' Andrea, MD, a medical oncologist at Memorial Sloan-

Kettering Cancer (MSKCC), NY, published a warning against the concurrent use of

antioxidants with radiation and chemotherapy (D’Andrea 2005). Her article, “Use of

Antioxidants During Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy Should be Avoided,” is a sharp

attack on the use of antioxidant supplements by cancer patients. The article appeared in

the American Cancer Society (ACS) journal CA—A Journal for Clinicians, which is

distributed free to many primary care physicians in the US. In addition, the article

received widespread public attention when it was picked up by the Wall Street Journal

and made the subject of a favorable commentary that amplified the author’s main point:

“Research suggests the supplements may be doing more harm than good” (Parker-Pope

2005).

There is no doubt that the combined prestige of America’s largest private cancer center

(MSKCC), wealthiest health charity (ACS), and the world’s largest daily newspaper

(WSJ, with an international circulation of 2.6 million), has created yet more negative

publicity for antioxidants in general, and for their concurrent use with radiation and

chemotherapy in particular. With every such attack, educated public opinion becomes

increasingly uncertain about the benefits of these dietary components. But although the

complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) movement cannot command the fire

power of these giant institutions, thoughtful readers will want to probe behind the

alarmist headlines and see how substantive are the charges against this use of nutritional

medicine. For this reason you should looking into the article,

SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPY TAKE ANTIOXIDENTS?.

I agree that, ideally, cancer patients should not self-medicate with antioxidants.

While sane and sentient adult patients have an absolute right to medical autonomy and

freedom of choice, cancer in essence is not a self-help disease. Treating cancer requires

professional guidance – although of course there is much that patients themselves can do

to increase their quality of life and even their chances for long-term survival.

The major difference in our positions is that Dr. D’Andrea calls for a total avoidance of

supplemental antioxidants concurrently with radiation and chemotherapy. By contrast, I

believe that nutrition, food supplements and selected antioxidants have much to offer the

cancer patient when used wisely and under professional guidance. Patients should

therefore be under the care of integrative oncologists, who understand not just how to

prescribe radiation and chemotherapy but who are also knowledgeable about the complex

world of nutrition, including food supplements. ( Points made in the article)

The problem is, integrative oncologists are far and few in between. The training in medical

school is inadequate, so many patients are left to their own devises. There is a need for

change... So whats the answer? Be in charge!
  • Jeanne D
    Options
    mono5 said:

Jeanne D
    I'm aware of the information from ACS... I'ts mirrored in the information in the PDF file I

mentioned in my pervious post.

That Proposed Mechanism of Interaction between antioxidients and radiation as well as

chemotherapy was also detailed in the above PDF file, but taken a step further. In

September 2005 Gabriella D' Andrea, MD, a medical oncologist at Memorial Sloan-

Kettering Cancer (MSKCC), NY, published a warning against the concurrent use of

antioxidants with radiation and chemotherapy (D’Andrea 2005). Her article, “Use of

Antioxidants During Chemotherapy and Radiotherapy Should be Avoided,” is a sharp

attack on the use of antioxidant supplements by cancer patients. The article appeared in

the American Cancer Society (ACS) journal CA—A Journal for Clinicians, which is

distributed free to many primary care physicians in the US. In addition, the article

received widespread public attention when it was picked up by the Wall Street Journal

and made the subject of a favorable commentary that amplified the author’s main point:

“Research suggests the supplements may be doing more harm than good” (Parker-Pope

2005).

There is no doubt that the combined prestige of America’s largest private cancer center

(MSKCC), wealthiest health charity (ACS), and the world’s largest daily newspaper

(WSJ, with an international circulation of 2.6 million), has created yet more negative

publicity for antioxidants in general, and for their concurrent use with radiation and

chemotherapy in particular. With every such attack, educated public opinion becomes

increasingly uncertain about the benefits of these dietary components. But although the

complementary and alternative medicine (CAM) movement cannot command the fire

power of these giant institutions, thoughtful readers will want to probe behind the

alarmist headlines and see how substantive are the charges against this use of nutritional

medicine. For this reason you should looking into the article,

SHOULD PATIENTS UNDERGOING RADIATION AND CHEMOTHERAPY TAKE ANTIOXIDENTS?.

I agree that, ideally, cancer patients should not self-medicate with antioxidants.

While sane and sentient adult patients have an absolute right to medical autonomy and

freedom of choice, cancer in essence is not a self-help disease. Treating cancer requires

professional guidance – although of course there is much that patients themselves can do

to increase their quality of life and even their chances for long-term survival.

The major difference in our positions is that Dr. D’Andrea calls for a total avoidance of

supplemental antioxidants concurrently with radiation and chemotherapy. By contrast, I

believe that nutrition, food supplements and selected antioxidants have much to offer the

cancer patient when used wisely and under professional guidance. Patients should

therefore be under the care of integrative oncologists, who understand not just how to

prescribe radiation and chemotherapy but who are also knowledgeable about the complex

world of nutrition, including food supplements. ( Points made in the article)

The problem is, integrative oncologists are far and few in between. The training in medical

school is inadequate, so many patients are left to their own devises. There is a need for

change... So whats the answer? Be in charge!

Ok Mono 5...
    The main point is for any cancer patient, who will soon be taking radiation treatments, to ask their radiation oncologist about the taking of any medications and/or vitamins. I think that research shows that the taking of vitamins, especially A, C and E can have an adverse effect on the radiation treatment which is not what anyone wants. Our radiation oncologist's have more information than any of us could ever have, but, we can educate ourselves to the full extent that we can to make educated decisions in our treatment and to question anything that we don't understand or want to do differently. Just be sure you do what your radiation oncologist says inre to the taking of vitamins, medications and/or supplements of any kind. You want the treatment to work!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Ok Mono 5...
    The main point is for any cancer patient, who will soon be taking radiation treatments, to ask their radiation oncologist about the taking of any medications and/or vitamins. I think that research shows that the taking of vitamins, especially A, C and E can have an adverse effect on the radiation treatment which is not what anyone wants. Our radiation oncologist's have more information than any of us could ever have, but, we can educate ourselves to the full extent that we can to make educated decisions in our treatment and to question anything that we don't understand or want to do differently. Just be sure you do what your radiation oncologist says inre to the taking of vitamins, medications and/or supplements of any kind. You want the treatment to work!

Well said, Jeanne D
    Rule #1: each patient should ALWAYS ask their own doctor.

Importantly, these cautions apply to chemotherapy, also. Prior to chemo, I took only a daily multi-vitamin. My onc pulled me off of it. Rationale: supplements that "boost" the system work AGAINST the chemo drugs, thereby reducing effectiveness. And who the heck wants to endure ANY type of BC treatment and not gain maximum effect?

Always, too, remember that we're all different. What is recommended for one may not suit another's situation. BC is a very complicated disease with extremely complicated & many different possible treatment protocols, with many other health issues & physical conditions of each individual patient taken into consideration.

We can all educate ourselves to the nth degree; and, the internet provides a wealth of info not necessarily available to us "common" folks (i.e., not medical professionals) previously. However, we cannot possibly learn & know everything the med pros can & do. Much, much info is published for them via sites that we - non-med pros - simply cannot access.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Jeanne D
    Options

Well said, Jeanne D
    Rule #1: each patient should ALWAYS ask their own doctor.

Importantly, these cautions apply to chemotherapy, also. Prior to chemo, I took only a daily multi-vitamin. My onc pulled me off of it. Rationale: supplements that "boost" the system work AGAINST the chemo drugs, thereby reducing effectiveness. And who the heck wants to endure ANY type of BC treatment and not gain maximum effect?

Always, too, remember that we're all different. What is recommended for one may not suit another's situation. BC is a very complicated disease with extremely complicated & many different possible treatment protocols, with many other health issues & physical conditions of each individual patient taken into consideration.

We can all educate ourselves to the nth degree; and, the internet provides a wealth of info not necessarily available to us "common" folks (i.e., not medical professionals) previously. However, we cannot possibly learn & know everything the med pros can & do. Much, much info is published for them via sites that we - non-med pros - simply cannot access.

Kind regards, Susan

Hey Susan
    I didn't know that the "no vitamins" was for pre chemo too. Thanks for informing me. And, I know that oncologist's may vary on this, but, I haven't found any yet. Thanks again!
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Jeanne D said:

Hey Susan
    I didn't know that the "no vitamins" was for pre chemo too. Thanks for informing me. And, I know that oncologist's may vary on this, but, I haven't found any yet. Thanks again!

Please remember...
    ... (I hate to sound like a broken record, but...) Again, check with your own onc. There are many, many chemo drugs used in many different combinations & dosages. So, please - to everyone! - ask/check with your own doctors! Better safe than sorry!

And just to clarify, Jeanne - my onc pulled me off my daily multi-vitamin for DURING chemo, not prior to. No supplements, at all. Ditto for rads, per rad onc.

And lastly, as SOON as I was finished with ALL treatment - chemo & rads - all 3 doctors (surgeon/onc/rad onc) strongly advised that I get back on my daily multi-vitamin, AND additional/separate Vitamin E & C, and Calcium +D.

Kind regards, Susan
  • HG
    HG Member Posts: 1
    Options
    Quercetin
    This seems to be a very interesting product I do hope to read mo about Quercetin and might give it a try if the product proves to be good.