Zometa

Options
jakeca
jakeca Member Posts: 92
edited March 2014 in Breast Cancer #1
I'm sure this topic has already been discussed here, but at the time, it didn't apply to me, so now that it does, I'd like some info. I will be having just two infusions a year. Wondering about side effects, etc. I am so stupid, when the doctor informed me of this yesterday, I was just like, "Oh. OK." I didn't even ask any questions. Just came as kind of a surprise to me. I assume I am having it because of the Arimidex I'm taking. My next appointment with the doctor is in three months, so I hate to wait that long to get some information. As a matter of fact, as I am typing this, it occurs to me that I shouldn't wait that long. I will just call the doctor now. But I am still interested in your experiences.

Comments

• Aortus
    Aortus Member Posts: 967
    Options
    Good starting point here
    Here is a good recent thread on Zometa, jakeca. And here is a very hopeful New York Times article on Zometa that Mimi discovered a couple months ago. Moopy is planning to begin Zometa after her chemo is over, whether the insurance will pay for it or not. I'd rather live out my old age with Moopy in a cardboard box than be a widower in a castle.
  • jakeca
    Options
    Never mind
    I went hunting and found the discussion I was looking for that occurred in March on this board, so I have answers to my questions. My infusion nurse returned my called quickly this morning (thanks, Dusty) and also answered my questions. Not excited about another treatment, but willing to do what is necessary.
  • jakeca
    Options
    Aortus said:

Good starting point here
    Here is a good recent thread on Zometa, jakeca. And here is a very hopeful New York Times article on Zometa that Mimi discovered a couple months ago. Moopy is planning to begin Zometa after her chemo is over, whether the insurance will pay for it or not. I'd rather live out my old age with Moopy in a cardboard box than be a widower in a castle.

Thanks
    Thanks--I'll check it out. As for your last comment, wow--what a lucky girl you are, Moopy! I'll have to ask my husband if that's how he feels!!!!
  • Jadie
    Jadie Member Posts: 723
    Options
    jakeca said:

Never mind
    I went hunting and found the discussion I was looking for that occurred in March on this board, so I have answers to my questions. My infusion nurse returned my called quickly this morning (thanks, Dusty) and also answered my questions. Not excited about another treatment, but willing to do what is necessary.

Zometa
    Hi Jakeca

My doctor wanted me to take the infusion every six months also. The nurse practioner explained it to me very well so I had the infusion while I was there. It kicked my butt for two or three days. I had the flu like symptoms and a headache. Didn't feel too good for about a week. Nothing a few advill couldn't take care of though. I remember someone on this board saying to take advill before your infusion. I will do that next time. I also read that you will probably just react to the first infusion. Most people don't have any reaction.
  • ohilly
    ohilly Member Posts: 441
    Options
    my experience
    I am in a clinical trial that compares three bisphosphonates to each other, and I'm the arm that is given Zometa. I have absolutely no side effects so far, and am glad I am taking this drug because it has gotten a lot of publicity for preventing recurrence.

Ohilly
  • rjjj
    rjjj Member Posts: 1,822 Member
    Options
    Aortus said:

Good starting point here

Thats so sweet Joe
    and so true. Our lives are more important than any money in the world. I am going to check out your links..and am wishing Moopy all the best on the Zometa.
    Have a good day Joe and tell Moopy Hi!
    love
    jackie
  • susieraph
    susieraph Member Posts: 12
    Options
    ohilly said:

my experience
    I am in a clinical trial that compares three bisphosphonates to each other, and I'm the arm that is given Zometa. I have absolutely no side effects so far, and am glad I am taking this drug because it has gotten a lot of publicity for preventing recurrence.

Ohilly

zometa
    I was on Zometa every 3 months, but now I have the IV every 6 months (started 1/2008). I have no side affects what so ever and feel very fortunate to be on this drug!
    Good luck