What to do--- My job went away

Options
2»

Comments

• Cindy54
    Cindy54 Member Posts: 452
    Options
    Me Too
    Bill and the others..I also lost my job in October of last year. I lost my benefits in January of this year. I have just started the first extension of unemployment benefits. My benefits are 80% of my usual paycheck. I am allowed to earn /gross not more than $120 per week or they reduce my unemployment.When I lost my health benefits I tried like a crazy person to find a job, even part time to pay for health insurance. Finally they gave me charity care at the cancer center. I did not qualify for medicaid because in PA, a single person can only earn $205 per month. Yes, I said per month. Then they will give you a medical card, help you with rent, give you $160 in food stamps. That $205 is supposed to cover all your other bilss. They will help with utilities, but if you have a vehicle, that is your responsibility. Trying to look for a job with that $205 per month to make a car payment and pay for gas for the car is pretty impossible.

Once I got the charity care, I thought, why would I struggle and pay for insurance..I am on a low cost insurance waiting list that has an average 3 year wait.....when I could just take this time to heal, take the charity care, and continue going to school. Yes, I have to stretch my unemployment. And I rent, so I don't have the worry about losing my home.

I will graduate with an associate degree in December despite everything. And because of the stimulus plan, I can also go on to college and get some more education.I will also be 55 this year.

Bill, there are a lot of things out there to help. It may not be what you are used to and it may be hard to try and find getting that help. I don't know what all FLA has in place, but states with high unemployment have a lot to help. Having a low income could actually work in your favor.There has to be a program somewhere that can help you. Don't stop looking until you find one.

Best of luck to you...Cindy
  • Christmas Girl
    Christmas Girl Member Posts: 3,682 Member
    Options
    Cindy54 said:

Me Too
    Bill and the others..I also lost my job in October of last year. I lost my benefits in January of this year. I have just started the first extension of unemployment benefits. My benefits are 80% of my usual paycheck. I am allowed to earn /gross not more than $120 per week or they reduce my unemployment.When I lost my health benefits I tried like a crazy person to find a job, even part time to pay for health insurance. Finally they gave me charity care at the cancer center. I did not qualify for medicaid because in PA, a single person can only earn $205 per month. Yes, I said per month. Then they will give you a medical card, help you with rent, give you $160 in food stamps. That $205 is supposed to cover all your other bilss. They will help with utilities, but if you have a vehicle, that is your responsibility. Trying to look for a job with that $205 per month to make a car payment and pay for gas for the car is pretty impossible.

Once I got the charity care, I thought, why would I struggle and pay for insurance..I am on a low cost insurance waiting list that has an average 3 year wait.....when I could just take this time to heal, take the charity care, and continue going to school. Yes, I have to stretch my unemployment. And I rent, so I don't have the worry about losing my home.

I will graduate with an associate degree in December despite everything. And because of the stimulus plan, I can also go on to college and get some more education.I will also be 55 this year.

Bill, there are a lot of things out there to help. It may not be what you are used to and it may be hard to try and find getting that help. I don't know what all FLA has in place, but states with high unemployment have a lot to help. Having a low income could actually work in your favor.There has to be a program somewhere that can help you. Don't stop looking until you find one.

Best of luck to you...Cindy

You are a shining example...
    ... of a survivor, in many senses of that word!

I know all of this isn't easy for you. Nonetheless, I hope you're really proud of yourself, Cindy.

Kind regards, Susan
  • Cindy54
    Options
    Susan
    You always make me feel so good by your kind replies. I think all of us here have survived so much that we should all be proud of ourselves. Some days when I can't help but think of all that has gone on these past three years in my life, I am amazed that I am still here and have managed to keep moving forward.I think that is all that we can do. Just keep going forward as best we can. And pray. Like Bill, I am pretty much on my own with things. All of my family is gone..to either heart disease or cancer.So I have looked to the people that God places in my life. If I can help any one of them in any way to make their lives easier and let them know that as long as they are able to move and have even one person to care about and who cares for them, they are going to be okay.

I have met so many people with cancer who have had much tougher times than I have.We all struggle in one way or another. We all have a story to tell.We should all celebrate a little each day for just being alive. Cindy
  • tgf
    tgf Member Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Cindy54 said:

Susan
    You always make me feel so good by your kind replies. I think all of us here have survived so much that we should all be proud of ourselves. Some days when I can't help but think of all that has gone on these past three years in my life, I am amazed that I am still here and have managed to keep moving forward.I think that is all that we can do. Just keep going forward as best we can. And pray. Like Bill, I am pretty much on my own with things. All of my family is gone..to either heart disease or cancer.So I have looked to the people that God places in my life. If I can help any one of them in any way to make their lives easier and let them know that as long as they are able to move and have even one person to care about and who cares for them, they are going to be okay.

I have met so many people with cancer who have had much tougher times than I have.We all struggle in one way or another. We all have a story to tell.We should all celebrate a little each day for just being alive. Cindy

Way to go Cindy!
    Cindy ... I personally know how hard it is to return to school at a "mature" age ... and stick with it. After I was divorced I started college at the age of about 45 and older than most of my professors! It was very, very difficult ... but I went full time ... year round for seven years until I got a master's degree ... but I did NOT have cancer on my mind while I was going to classes. I don't know how you've done it ... but you certainly do need to give yourself a huge pat on the back because you have accomplished something that not many people could do. I don't know what surgeries/treatments you've been going through while attending school ... but I am truly amazed. It's tough enough at a "mature" ... let alone while you're dealing cancer.

Way to go!!!!!!

hugs.
    teena
  • Cindy54
    Options
    tgf said:

Way to go Cindy!
    Cindy ... I personally know how hard it is to return to school at a "mature" age ... and stick with it. After I was divorced I started college at the age of about 45 and older than most of my professors! It was very, very difficult ... but I went full time ... year round for seven years until I got a master's degree ... but I did NOT have cancer on my mind while I was going to classes. I don't know how you've done it ... but you certainly do need to give yourself a huge pat on the back because you have accomplished something that not many people could do. I don't know what surgeries/treatments you've been going through while attending school ... but I am truly amazed. It's tough enough at a "mature" ... let alone while you're dealing cancer.

Way to go!!!!!!

hugs.
    teena

Teena
    Thank you for your very kind words! I know I have a "history" post somewhere on this board, but I'll recap for you.

I came to the boards in 2005 when my Mom had ovarian. I was her caregiver. I also had a spinal cord tumor back then. At the end of 2006, Mom passed away after fighting for 18 months. In 2007 I went back to school while working full time. Did bankruptcy, moved. In October I went to one of those Mammo Marathon..they give mammograms for 24 hours straight. They found the breast cancer in two areas..ductal and lobular. In January of 2008 I had the biopsies, the lumpectomy, and 7 weeks of radiation. I took off the last 4 weeks of radiation because I got too tired. Went back to work, took a weekend job to catch up the bills. Went for the gyno checkup in June 2008. Found a mass. Wanted to do laproscopy, but it was too large. In October of last year had the full hysterectomy. They found the ovarian. In December 2008 had staging surgery for the ovarian, lost my appendix, but they got ALL the cancer. Now all I do is CT scans, Tamoxifen, and CA125 labwork every few months. I also lost my job in October of 2008.

I am only here by God's Grace. So many people prayed for me that I think God got tired of hearing my name and decided to do something. Some days when I actually think about all that I have made it through, well, it is a little overwhelming. I have it in my heart to be supportive of all the folks who have gone through what I have. If I can ever offer a suggestion or some comfort, I will. We all have a story. We all hurt in some way. We all need to look out for each other.

This year I am doing anything I can to help out at our local Relay For Life. I will probably cry on the survivors lap. But it will be so good to see all those that are still here fighting.

My best to you all. I am thankful to have found these boards and all of you! Hugs, Cindy