Question on vitamins and calcium with vit D?

Options
lmliess
lmliess Member Posts: 329
edited March 2014 in Colorectal Cancer #1
The gyno I saw yesterday at MD Anderson suggested I take calcium with vitamin D along with my multi vitamin. I have been researching vitamins but they all have so many 'fillers'.
What vitamins do you all take and what brand?

Comments

• kimby
    kimby Member Posts: 797
    Options
    Vitamins and Calcium
    I have some major malabsorption so unfortunately, I know too much about this topic.

First, be sure you are taking calcium citrate. It is the best absorbed. You will also want to me sure there is magnesium and vitamin d to aid in absorption of the calcium. Did your doc give you an amount of vit D? The FDA recommends 400 IU a day but most docs think that is low. I have heard anywhere from 1000 - 5000 IU's a day so you may want to check your doctors recommendations on that.

You can find vitamins with less 'inactive' ingredients at any good health food store. They usually also contain vitamins that I supplement separately and cost more. I use the Mature Daily Multivitamin at Rite Aid. I'm not a senior (I'm 45) but am post-menapausal from a complete hystorectomy and radiation 6 years ago. I figure my body qualifies as being somewhat older. :D It's inexpensive and has the dosages I prefer. My supplementation is not normal though. I take a LOT of supplements even though I'm on chemo and that is normally frowned upon - I am just special. hahaha

Hope this is the info you were looking for.

Kimby
  • Annabelle41415
    Annabelle41415 Member Posts: 6,742 Member
    Options
    Vitamins and calcium
    I just take a regular multi purpose vitamin and 1200 mg of caalcium with D, both of these are in the chewable form so that they dissolve faster and I absorb it more and both CVS brand. I have to watch what type of medicine I have so that it does absorb since I have an ileostomy and some pills can go right through.

Kim
  • This comment has been removed by the Moderator
  • CherylHutch
    CherylHutch Member Posts: 1,375
    Options
    Vitamins
    Since I am not on chemo or any treatment at the moment, I take a couple of things.

- multi-vitamin
    - 2000-4000 units of Vitamin D
    - 2 calcium/magnesium combo pills
    - 1000 mg Inositol

Hugggggs,

Cheryl
  • dianetavegia
    dianetavegia Member Posts: 1,942 Member
    Options

Vitamins
    Since I am not on chemo or any treatment at the moment, I take a couple of things.

- multi-vitamin
    - 2000-4000 units of Vitamin D
    - 2 calcium/magnesium combo pills
    - 1000 mg Inositol

Hugggggs,

Cheryl

I take Centrum Silver
    My onc said any multi vitamin is okay, including Centrum Silver. I'm a bit concerned about it containing so much folic acid after reading the thread a few posts down. I'm going to look for vitamins with much less folic acid when I replace my vitamins in a week or so.

Vitamin D
    http://www.dana-farber.org/abo/news/press/2008/study-links-vitamin-d-to-colon-cancer-survival.html

Study links vitamin D to colon cancer survival

Charles Fuchs and Kimmie Ng learned that patients diagnosed with colon cancer who had abundant vitamin D in their blood were less likely to die during a follow-up period than those who were deficient in the vitamin.

Patients diagnosed with colon cancer who had abundant vitamin D in their blood were less likely to die during a follow-up period (by 48% of any cause and 39% of colon cancer) than those who were deficient in the vitamin, according to a new study by scientists at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.

Clinical trials are planned to determine if adding vitamin D to chemotherapy after surgery improves colon cancer survival, the researcher said.

Much more at link!